Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

K&N Filter VS K&N FIPK kit

5K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  oleachea 
#1 ·
I have an '06 Trailblazer LS. It has the 4.2L and I noticed that K&N actually makes a K&N replacement filter and also makes the complete kit with filter and intake tube. My TB is completely stock. Was wondering if there would be any real gains if I was to put the FIPK kit on? Or will I notice any difference if I just used the replacement K&N filter? Thanx

#3 ·
Most if not all cold air intakes you see no gain in power if not a loss in power. True drag racers who use them usually take out a headlight for the intake which is where the cold air comes from. With ones under the hood your just sucking hot motor air with no cold air inlet. The air filter box has a intake setup sucking air from behind the grille which is a colder intake temperature. If you have a diagnostic tool you can see the difference in intake air temps. Most people who buy a cold air kit trick themselves into believing there's a power gain but I would too for the price. Auto engineers get paid a lot of money and if cold air intakes were best that's what we'd have stock. To which brand of air filter to buy that's kind of a subjective topic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCi2yo4UqPI

#5 ·
Depending on what you're doing a paper filter can collapse if you get it really wet or muddy, that's something to keep in mind if you do heavy off-roading. With super extra air flow your motor can't use it all unless your motor is super modified. Again OEM works for almost any application you can throw at it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.