Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

K&N CAI doesn't fit after fan clutch replacement

13K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  robertgee 
#1 ·
Hey guys,
I have an interesting dilemma that i'm not sure how to resolve. I've had a K&N CAI kit on my 'voy for about 2 years. Just last week I had it in to the dealer for P0493, which required a new cooling fan clutch (2nd time). I got a call from the dealership telling me that they couldn't get the CAI back on after the new clutch because now the fan was hitting it. I figured they were just doing something wrong, so I brought the factory intake with me and went up there. Sure enough, the fan was hitting the elbow even with the elbow flush with the throttle body. It seems the new clutch is about 3/8" shorter than the previous one, so the fan sits back farther.

Anybody else have this problem or have any ideas on how to fix it? If the new clutch is shorter, i'd expect a lot more people to start having this problem. I suppose I could cut the elbow, but i'm concerned about how tightening the radius would affect flow. I'm also wondering if they installed the right clutch.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks!

#6 ·
I'm just gonna go with the e-fans. I picked up a spare PCM on ebay for next to nothing and I already have the fans out of my Trans Am since they won't fit with the new motor. Looks like it's gonna be $100 for the harness and $250 for the PCMforLess tune.

Guess i'll just get myself an early Christmas present.:woohoo:

#7 ·
Such clueless young lads. It does fit and it will fit as i have had a K7N setup for over 1 year. It has about 1/8th inch of room from elbow to fan blade. Drive to Jacksonville and i will personally install it to show you how simple it is with upward force and a electric screwdriver...LOL

#8 · (Edited)
Trust me, i'm far from clueless when it comes to anything automotive. I've been building fast street/strip cars since before I had a license (and that was a long time ago). ;)

There is no clearance at all, at any angle. With the new clutch in place the fan sits back about 1/4" further than it used to. With the K&N elbow up against the throttle body at any angle, it rubs, plain and simple. The only way to make it fit would be to trim off some of the elbow on the throttle body side or fab up a spacer on the fan. OR, do away with it all together and get the e-fan kit :thumbsup:.

#10 ·
Whatever man.... You have fun with your big internet muscles...:rolleyes:

If you would take off your testosterone glasses for a second and actually read what I typed you would see that the kit was on the vehicle without any problems until they installed a new, SHORTER, clutch for the fan. But, I guess in your world you just know it all, don't you....:weird::no:

BTW, real men go fast with 4 wheels, not take the easy way out and use 2...LOLOLOLOL:dielaugh:

#14 ·
That is what I've been trying to tell you. The new clutch that was installed is definately shorter. When I went to the dealership to prove the tech wrong he showed me the old one held closely to the newly installed one. It was definately shorter by about 1/4" - 3/8". I wonder if they changed the length of the clutch shaft to ease some of the strain on it. Or, maybe the one they put on is defective or made for a different vehicle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.