Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

R/H FRNT Half Shaft Removal !!!!

8K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  mba_uiu 
#1 ·
I have an 02 envoy and I discovered this weekend a grinding noise comming from the front. I jacked up the front of the car and rotated each wheel. I noticed that the r/h front wheel when rotated had a grinding/crunching noise! I can feel/hear the upper cv joint making the noise. So, here is my question, how do you release the "clip" to pull out half shaft? I know that you need to use a punch and 3lb hammer but, at what location are you hitting? Does anybody have a pic? I have not yet started on this project so, Im hoping that it will be clear what part to hit!:bonk:

#2 ·
My pics aren't available from when I did it yet, but you're hitting the "tripot" area of the inner CV joint near the oil pan. It's got a slight rounding so you can get a drift punch or 1/2" pipe onto it, and whale away with a hammer from a foot or two away. One of mine was easier than the other side, since it's not just a c-clip holding them in, but possibly frozen/corroded splines.

You also need to take the steering knuckle out of the upper control arm and remove the 35mm axle nut and a few other things, but I assume you have that all under control?

#5 ·
I pulled mine on Saturday. I used a 12" long 1/2" drive extension (craftsman so if you miss it up it's free to replace) and hit it right on the heavy metal CV housing. Three swings with a 3lb hammer had it out. I had a little trouble getting the knuckle to bend far enough to get it out so be ready to man handle the thing. When you have it back in and are ready to put the shock assembly in place you might find that the sway bar gets in the way of the lower extension. We undid the pin bolt that holds the lower part of the shock and turned it to snake it on the stud mount.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.