Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

gasoline smell in through vents at start up

[SOLVED] 
9K views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  VGER 
#1 ·
Recently on my 2004 TB EXT(121,000mi.). Upon warming up car in driveway entered car had gasoline smell in cabin. There was also a strong odor in the front passenger area of the engine. This is opposite of where the FPS is mounted on the engine a bit weird but i guess understandable.
It is important to not that the fuel guage acted erratically when driving in this condition so this may be another sign to help narrow down the possibilities. This should not be confused with the instrument cluster problem which we have repaired with the kit that can be found on the this great forum.
Took car to mechanic $253.00 parts and labor. This is a bit much in my opinion but he has a business to run. However 1.2 hrs of labor charged is probabaly book for GM. $120.00 part cost obviously marked up. I was more concerned with a coil problem or a clogged fuel injector, thus raw fuel going into cat. I am happy that the repair was not excessive and wanted to inform others that this repair appears to be simple and can be done by anyone in 30mins or less. Good luck hope this saves you money wanted to give back all the good I have received from this forum. We puchased this truck new and have given it TLC with Mobil 1 oil changes at the begining still going strong. :tiphat

#2 ·
Update good intentions too little info. FPS refers to the Fuel Pressure Switch located on the drivers side manifold. I recommend replacing this item as regular maintenance item over 100,000 miles as I understood from the mechanic, the fuel was spraying out in a mist like fashion. This unit has a rubber gasket that drys overtime and it developed a leak. Fuel leaks through the gasket overtime while sitting with the engine off leading to a heavy fuel smell that dwindles as the vehicle is used. Most important in this case there were no warning lights or codes thrown indicating a problem.:bonk:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.