Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

Squeaking steering wheel bushing?

7K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  possum328 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a squealing noise in my steering wheel when making turns. Started out as a rubbing noise, then went to a squeak when turning left. Now squeals when turning right also. Noise is only present while underway, can't seem to duplicate it while parked with engine running. Think it's in the steering wheel as opposed to the power steering pump, but sounds very similar. Is it possible for a layman to easily take off the steering wheel and lube a bushing or bearing? Definitely not a belt squealing. Could the steering rack make any noise like that?:worried: (Machine gunning questions now - sorry) Thanks in advance!

#2 ·
cracking sound while turning

I have a 2002 Envoy which also has the same problem. The sqeaking/cracking noise is present when I start the vehicle but when the steering wheel is turned left/right it stops and then again it reappears when vehicle is on the go and while making turns. When the steering wheel is turned to the extreme left/right the it makes a loud CRACK! My mechanic told me that it is the problem with the pump and it needs to be replaced.

#3 ·
I had a squeek when turning the wheel and traced it down to the rubber boot where the shaft goes through the firewall. I pushed the boot down the shaft a little then smeared white lithium grease on the shaft. Squeek is all gone. Hope that helps. As for the crack noise that does sound serious.

#4 ·
SOLVED -- Squeaky steering wheel bushing

Well, it I thought I would try the easy fix first, and bought a jug of Lucas power steering fix. After changing out as much of the old fluid (turkey baster) as I could - I replaced it with the Lucas and topped off with new fluid. SHAZAM - the squeal has healed! Hopefully caught it early enough to save the pump :worried: I also took the opportunity that day to change out the fuel filter and do the Seafoam through the brake booster line thing. Both went very well, looking forward to a possible mileage increase with those fixes. Thanks for the help, and for the excellent "how to" sticky on the filter replacement!! :woohoo: You guys make it fun and easy to wrench on my TB :thumbsup:.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.