Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

How hard is it to replace a rack and pinion

15K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  dadysev 
#1 ·
Got home from vacation yesterday Started up my 05 Trailblazer and noticed my steering was very hard to turn towards the right turning back to the left was no problem looked at my power steering levels and they were down added fluid, still the same problem looked around over here and figured my power steering pump might be on the way out so I replaced it. After replacing it the problem was still there. The only other thing left is the rack and pinion. I was wondering how hard is it to replace in my garage verses taking it to a shop to have it replaced. I haven't found a DYI on replacing the unit.

#6 · (Edited)
With a vehicle, from the roads of salt and brine covered Ohio, my biggest problem was getting the corroded power steering lines out of the rack. Rusted so severely, they needed to be replaced.

If power steering lines need to be replaced, as a result of the above conditions, you'll be doing a whole lot of additional work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.