Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

Power steering losing fluid but no puddle

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  robertgee 
#1 ·
2003 GMC Envoy Xl 5.3 V8 purchased new now w/109k miles:

Last year the wife complained about squealing when turning. Checked the PS reservoir and the dip stick had no fluid on it. Purchased some Prestone PS Fluid with Stop Leak and only had to put in a maybe 4 ounces before the dip stick read full. No squeal.

Over the last year I have been checking the fluid regularly and topped off with just a couple of ounces of fluid at a time. It seams that the distance between empty and full on the dipstick is only about 2 ounces.

After a year of this, I have now used the last of the 32 oz of the Prestone PS Fluid with Stop Leak. What is the capacity of the system, anyway?

So I've put 32 oz of PS Fluid into the reservoir and there has never been a drop of any fluids on my garage floor. (except for water condensation from the A/C)

I remove the splash guard under the engine every oil change and it's always dry.

Where is the fluid going? I know there is a leak that is evidently too big for stop leak, but where should I start?

See less See more
#2 ·
It's the seals at each end of the power steering rack. Pull one of the boots off the tie-rod to check but be ready with a pan to catch all that PS fluid you've been adding.

You could replace the whole steering rack (apparently the seals cannot be replaced) or...

Run a bottle of Lucas Oil PS stop leak through the system for a month or so. That should eliminate or slow the leak. After that, just check for leaks every time you do an oil change. I use hose clamps or high quality zip-ties on the tie rod boots so no need for the factory crimp style clamp.

Good luck!

#3 ·
Understanding that the leak will only get worse over time, and never better, is the key thought here. Using a "stop leak product" can and will gum up the internals .... a good product for the used car lot that wants to get the car over the curb quickly.

If, upon inspection, it is the rack, do the right thing and replace the rack, before the seals blow out, and your wife is stranded, with NO power steering.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.