Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

Can't fill tank

1K views 16 replies 4 participants last post by  daveyboy43 
#1 ·
I have an 02 Trailblazer and 2 weeks ago I had a new fuel pump installed on it. Since getting it back it seems every time I fill up with gas the pump clicks off about 2 gallons shy of what it should hold. The night I picked it up the mechanic told me there wasn't much gas in it at all but when I filled it up I could only get 15 gallons in it. This past week I had around a 1/4 of a tank and by my estimates should have been able to get 13 gallons or so into it, but it would only let me pump 11 gallons. There was no issues prior to getting the new fuel pump and I can tell how the gauge moves in regards to the miles driven that I'm off by 2 gallons or so. I was thinking of taking a gas can with me and the next time I fill up, if the same thing happens I was going to get 2 gallons of gas in the can and then see if I could add it to the vehicle since there would be no shut off to deal with and see if it all goes in without overflowing.Anyone have any suggestions?

#7 · (Edited)
I'm an OEM guy, for parts, whenever possible. Don't know the Delphi warranty, but do know AC DELCO carry a parts AND labor warranty, when dealer installed.

One of two things have caused this inaccurate gauge reading.

1. The Delphi unit is incorrectly calibrated, which should qualify for a warranty replacement.

2. The float lever / support was disturbed (bent) when the unit was installed in the tank, modifying the gauge reading. That would be the responsibility of the installer, since an issue with improper installation would not be classified as a defective part.

#8 · (Edited)
Your gas can idea is good but instead of pouring it in after fueling, let the car run out of gas and then pour in the 2 gallons and then fill up at a close gas station to determine how much it will hold. I'm inclined to agree with the other member's thoughts of a defective or wrong pump/sensor.

#9 ·
It was basically empty when I picked it up and added a gallon from a can then drove to fill up and could only get 14.5 gallons into it. I feel it had no more than 16 gallons in it at point. Mechanic says he was very careful when installing and Delphi doesn't cover labor so I guess I'm screwed.

#11 · (Edited)
"There is no way a pump/sensor unit can physically alter the capacity of the tank by that much."

We're talking about a difference in readings, of two gallons, if I'm reading this story correctly.

We're not speaking of altering capacity, instead, we're speaking of altering the READING of the capacity

The actual fuel "pickup" has no bearing on the reading of the gauge.
The physical up and down travel of the "float" and its arm have to be correct.

If the float arm has been altered, such as bent, it will read incorrectly ...... or the gauge will read incorrectly, if the incorrect unit was installed.

Either way, if the arm is bent incorrectly or if the Delphi unit is incorrect, the tank has to be lowered again.

If me, I would return the Delphi for credit, then I would purchase the AC DELCO.

If Delphi or the Delphi supplier deem the unit was damaged, the problem then points to the installation process and no credit would be given.

#12 ·
Guess I'm screwed then as mechanic says it was installed properly and that he was very careful to make sure the arm was not bent or altered in any way. Paying him to remove the unit and then sending it back and waiting for a replacement to arrive and then paying for the install is not an option as I'm not working and had to save to get this work done. So adding the 2 gallons after I fill it up as much as I can, which I said is approx. 2 gallons shy of capacity wouldn't help move the arm up the extra distance over time if I did it at every fill up for awhile?

#13 ·
The "arm" that attaches the float unit to the sending unit is made of a heavier gauge material, so I would tell you nothing in the tank will "re-bend itself" to make it right.

The problem only seems to have 3 sources, either the bent sending unit arm or an incorrect unit or a defective unit.

Sorry the news is not brighter.

Initially, why was the unit replaced? Just wondering here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.