[SOLVED] 03 Envoy Loss Of Power - Not Sure Why? - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 Vortec 4.2L I-6 Engine and Drivetrain > OEM Issues

OEM Issues Original Equipment Repairs and/or Problems

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-02-2013, 10:43 AM

2003 GMC Envoy SLT XL
Pewter Metallic 4.2L I6 AWD
03 Envoy Loss Of Power - Not Sure Why?

We have a 2003 Envoy XL SLT 6 Cycl 4x4. 130K miles. Just in the last few days or so I have noticed that it doesn't have all the power that it used to have. Manily I notice it when going uphill as it's now having to kick down a gear to climbs hills it could do in a higher gear before. Also not as fast off the line. I did a search here but only see where people are getting a warning light that says "Loss Of Power". I'm not getting a warning light...just the actual power loss.

I cleaned the throttle body a few months ago and changed plugs while I was in there. Had the fan clutch go out a few years ago so I don't think that's the issue and it's been cold here but certainly not east coast cold :-) Air cleaner was recently replaced. Both differentials and tranny have recently had fluids changed. Figure I will need to purchase something that will read codes but in the meantime I was just wondering if you guys could suggest things to check?

UPDATE: After researching this some more I'm thinking it might be a clogged cat so I am going to test that by removing the O2 sensor and seeing if it runs better. Will post follow up.

Many thanks in advance!

GS
West Linn, OR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2013, 01:02 AM

2002 GMC Envoy SLT
Indigo Blue Metallic 4.2L I6 AWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by gstump View Post
We have a 2003 Envoy XL SLT 6 Cycl 4x4. 130K miles. Just in the last few days or so I have noticed that it doesn't have all the power that it used to have. Manily I notice it when going uphill as it's now having to kick down a gear to climbs hills it could do in a higher gear before. Also not as fast off the line. I did a search here but only see where people are getting a warning light that says "Loss Of Power". I'm not getting a warning light...just the actual power loss.

I cleaned the throttle body a few months ago and changed plugs while I was in there. Had the fan clutch go out a few years ago so I don't think that's the issue and it's been cold here but certainly not east coast cold :-) Air cleaner was recently replaced. Both differentials and tranny have recently had fluids changed. Figure I will need to purchase something that will read codes but in the meantime I was just wondering if you guys could suggest things to check?

UPDATE: After researching this some more I'm thinking it might be a clogged cat so I am going to test that by removing the O2 sensor and seeing if it runs better. Will post follow up.

Many thanks in advance!

GS
West Linn, OR
I was just going to say.... "It sounds like a clogged cat" just went through this at 150k.
Dont forget KEEP the old cat as it is worth around $50 for this vehicle. If you dont know any local places that will buy it there is ONLINE ones that will pay the shipping and you for it.
Old 01-06-2013, 12:14 PM

2003 GMC Envoy SLT XL
cat replacement

OK....removing the O2 sensor appears to make it respond to the pedal much better. I am concerned about driving it that way because there is some sort of wire there across from the O2 sensor hole that I don't want to get fried if I drive it so I just placed a heat shield over that (OK it's a grill plate from my BBQ :-) and rev'd it in the garage. I'm convinced enough that I purchased a new Walker direct fit cat and am going to replace it today. Was supposed to do yesterday but (conveniently) found way to many other things to do.

Will post follow up.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:54 AM

2003 GMC Envoy SLT XL
Power restored!

OK. Cat replaced & power restored. The temp will not go past the 2nd mark on the gauge so I'm assuming I need to replace the stat & sensor. In process...will post back. Am also starting a new thread about the cat replacement while it's fresh.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:55 PM

2002 GMC Envoy SLT
Quote:
Originally Posted by gstump View Post
OK. Cat replaced & power restored. The temp will not go past the 2nd mark on the gauge so I'm assuming I need to replace the stat & sensor. In process...will post back. Am also starting a new thread about the cat replacement while it's fresh.
supposedly a bad Thermostat kills the Cat
Old 01-08-2013, 04:58 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

2009 Chrysler PT Cruiser
Inferno Red Other 2WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by bspurloc View Post
supposedly a bad Thermostat kills the Cat
It will but the problem on 02 and 03's is that they used to small a cat. The 04 and ups have a bigger cat which solved the issue. That is why almost always when you hear people talking about a bad cat on these vehicles it is an 02 or 03.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:05 PM

2002 GMC Envoy SLT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Dockrey View Post
It will but the problem on 02 and 03's is that they used to small a cat. The 04 and ups have a bigger cat which solved the issue. That is why almost always when you hear people talking about a bad cat on these vehicles it is an 02 or 03.
we cant just install a larger cat on these? Ah well mine went at $150k cant really complain
Old 01-14-2013, 09:56 AM

2003 GMC Envoy SLT XL
Stat replaced and temp back to normal. Stat was also a PITA thanks to design and will post thoughts on that separately.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.