Headlights go dim randomly - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 Appearance > Exterior

Exterior Exterior

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-24-2013, 01:15 AM

2006 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Summit White 4.2L I6 2WD
Headlights go dim randomly

So that's about it randomly while driving (or with the engine off and the lights on) the headlights will just go dim. I haven't noticed the high beams doing it and it wouldn't be that big of a deal but it's so low it's very noticeable I go from great visibility to not being able to see someone stand 2 feet in front of the vehicle.

Any advice or previous experience with this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2013, 10:18 AM
No longer with us

2005 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Silverstone Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
There's a sensor that performs a test and if its driven too soon after startup your voltmeter will drop when the headlights dim for a second. Dealer provided me with a TSB on this and I let it run for a minimum of 20-27secs when starting up(there's a noticeable tick/click when this happens) voltmeter may jump too. Scary yes, check the charging system. I hated it and thought it mat appear as if i was flashing my lights. Run it for 30seconds every startup. hasnt happened again in years. Occasionally I notice the voltmeter drop and jump back just as quick. headlights dimming after shutdown is the battery. No other way to keep em on otherwise
Old 02-24-2013, 07:04 PM

Summit White 4.2L I6 2WD
Initially it was only while starting the vehicle but lately it occurs over and over the entire 45 minute ride home to and from work every day.

and what I meant is it will be dim then go bright and back and forth with and without the engine running even seconds after shutting off the engine.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:07 PM
No longer with us

2005 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Silverstone Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
When they go dim is there a loss of power? Do the interior lights dim as well? Is the charging system gauge holding steady the whole time they go dim and back to normal?
Old 02-24-2013, 09:43 PM

Summit White 4.2L I6 2WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnomanAndASwede View Post
When they go dim is there a loss of power? Do the interior lights dim as well? Is the charging system gauge holding steady the whole time they go dim and back to normal?
Thanks for the help, it seems like a loss of power yes but no other power systems in the TB go dim (head lamps, gauge leds, etc.) the charge gauge is indeed holding steady the entire time (just verified). I've had the brights on plenty without that issue but the low beams it happens every time (both sides btw)
Old 02-24-2013, 09:43 PM
No longer with us

2004 GMC Envoy SLE XL
Summit White 4.2L I6 4X4
I would try unseating and then reseating relay #45 in the underhood fuse panel. If that doesn't help swap relays 45 & 46 to test if its the relay.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:32 PM

Summit White 4.2L I6 2WD
They were different for mine (the #'s) reseated, switched around and it stays ok then about 5 mins into turning it on it does the same thing, also note I've secured all connections I could find, disconnected the - terminal for 5 mins and reconnected, and reset the computer (by overturning the key for 30 secs).

Still goes dim randomly
Old 02-25-2013, 03:57 PM

2009 Chevy Malibu
Red Jewel Tintcoat Other 2WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaTech View Post
So that's about it randomly while driving (or with the engine off and the lights on) the headlights will just go dim. I haven't noticed the high beams doing it and it wouldn't be that big of a deal but it's so low it's very noticeable I go from great visibility to not being able to see someone stand 2 feet in front of the vehicle.

Any advice or previous experience with this?
JaTech,

I am sorry you are experiencing this issue with your vehicle. I have researched your vehicle and there are currently no known issues as you have described. I recommend consulting with a certified technician, as I suspect an electrical issue. The technician will be able to offer more information after inspecting the vehicle.

If you need assistance locating a technician near you, please PM me your zip code for a listing.

Louis (assisting Evan)
GM Customer Service
Old 03-07-2014, 02:02 PM

2006 Chevy TrailBlazer
Black Other 2WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM Customer Svc View Post
JaTech,

I am sorry you are experiencing this issue with your vehicle. I have researched your vehicle and there are currently no known issues as you have described. I recommend consulting with a certified technician, as I suspect an electrical issue. The technician will be able to offer more information after inspecting the vehicle.

If you need assistance locating a technician near you, please PM me your zip code for a listing.

Louis (assisting Evan)
GM Customer Service
Looks like owners with this type of problems starting to come out and across the trailblazer forums, a lot of owners have been reporting this and this just happened to me and still no lowbeams after a week or so of troubleshooting it. THIS IS A KNOWN ISSUE now.

I replaced the 45 and 46 relays, #3 and #6, the 15a behind it (53), and the other ones too and no success. Checked the power and I am getting it so don't know what to do. I try to avoid the dealers as much as possible and I might just head over to an indy shop but I guess its a design flaw or something

MODS: CAI | HID | DRL Killer | PCM4Less Tune
Old 03-29-2014, 05:35 PM

2004 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Medium Sage Green Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Funny thing is they say no other issue can be found on this problem, but looking at other forums there are plenty. Why would there be a TSB out on the issue if does not exist?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.