4 Wheel drive problem - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 Vortec 4.2L I-6 Engine and Drivetrain > 4x4 Drivetrain

4x4 Drivetrain 4x4 Repairs & Problems

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 05-05-2013, 05:41 PM

2005 GMC Envoy SLT
Graphite Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
4 Wheel drive problem

My question is regarding my 2005 GMC Envoy SLT 4x4. Last winter I was driving in 4x4 (Dont remember exact setting), and all the wheels locked up and kicked the truck sideways on snow. The truck would not move. I took it off 4wheel high and put it back into 2wheel and it was OK. I continued to drive it and never messed with the 4 wheel drive option until winter was over to get it checked.

Finally this April, I have had time to fix the truck up, I love my envoy and don't want to sell it. I started with new struts, new shocks, new rear sway bar end links and bushings. The front got new upper ball joints and outer tie rods. The car has about 140k miles, and I have saved up enough cash to look into the 4 wheel drive.

I took it to 3 mechanics. 2 of the 3 told me that the front differential was shot, and 1 told me it was the transfer case, I refuse to dump money unless I really know the problem.

So I used the diagnose the 4 wheel drive diagram that I found on offroad tb. I flipped the switch to 4Hi, and both motors kicked on, and the lights on the switch didn't blink and stayed solid. I then jacked up the front passenger tire, The wheel spun freely, so to my knowledge this means 4x4 did not engage. I then looked under the car and the prop shaft was not spinning when i was spinning the passenger tire. I then jacked up both front tires, and when I spun the front passenger tire the drivers tire did not spin.

The conclusion was that my 4x4 disconnect was the problem. I also would like to include that whenever I spin that front passenger tire there is a noise coming from the front of the car, its not to bad, but it just sounds like something is wore out, I also hear the noise when driving slow. The Car runs and drives fine when in 2 wheel.

Before spending the money, I would just like to ask if there are any other ways to confirm or pinpoint the location? Some forums that I have read have told me that it could be more than one thing.

Thank You!!
-Paul-
(Sorry for the lengthy post, I just cant afford too much right now)

I would like to add, that a couple months after the problem. I was driving to Detroit metro airport to drop off my brother. On the way home, I heard the loudest grinding noise, i pulled over thinking something was broken, i ended up driving it home. This grinding noise would come and go. Finally it came, came for a while and finally just went away (Maybe whatever was breaking, finally just broke?)

It was never in a 4 wheel setting since the snow fall last year, and this morning when following the diagnose guide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2013, 04:53 PM
No longer with us

2004 GMC Envoy SLE XL
Summit White 4.2L I6 4X4
It does sound like the front splined disconnect, but there maybe more damage at this point. Your best bet is to post your problem description at G M T N a t i o n . c o m (no spaces). All the experts from here went there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.