How to replace headlight bulbs? - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 Appearance > Exterior

Exterior Exterior

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 07-22-2005, 02:26 PM

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Carbon Black Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
How to replace headlight bulbs?

Just bought a used 2003 Trailblazer LX and the passenger low-beam bulb burned out (sounds like a common problem from this board!). How is it replaced... from behind or do I take the clear lens cover off and replace from the front? THX
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2005, 03:27 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

2005 Chevy TrailBlazer LT EXT
Silverstone Metallic 5.3L V8 4X4
It is replaced from behind The method that most people use is to take off the grille and take out the whole lighting accembly. Personally, i have just unbolted or removed parts in the way and worked with the grille on.

If your still unsure, i would be happy to assist with pictures and a step-by-step.
Old 07-22-2005, 03:37 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

2008 Audi A6 3.2 Quattro S-Line
Silver Other AWD
Most people will agree that the grill removal is fastest and easiest on your hands. It's my personal recommendation.
Old 07-22-2005, 03:39 PM

Well first off, not to be a jerk or anything but you don't have a Trailblazer LX. Its either a LS, LT, or LTZ maybe just a typo. I have never heard of an issue with the TB's headlamp bulbs burning out too often, they do have some problems with the tail light, but that should be taken care of by the recall. There are different ways to get to your bulbs, but I will tell you the way I like to do it. First you need to pop the hood. Your grille and chrome bar are held to your truck with I think eight clips. You can see the top clips if you look. First VERY GENTLY!!! start pulling your grille untill you start popping those clips out. Keep an eye on your chrome bar, because it is clipped into the headlight. GENTLY pull on the chrome bar at the headlight untill the clips come off, then work your way over to the other headlight. The goal is to be take your time and be gentle untill you have all the clips released. Set your grille aside(be carefull not to scratch it). Each head light has two metal tabs on top of it, the outer tabs are slightly hidden in the fender. If you pull these tabs up, it will release the headlight from the frame of the truck(be carefull not to let the headlight fall out and scratch your bumper). Once you have the headlight assembly out, pop off the circle rubber cover on the back of the unit. Your bulbs will be inside there, and make sure you don't touch the bulb when removing it. Just reverse the process when your done changing your bulbs. Oh yea, don't forget to put the rubber cap back on the headlamp unit before you re-install it, that really sucks! Good luck.
Old 07-22-2005, 03:41 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

2005 Chevy TrailBlazer LT EXT
Silverstone Metallic 5.3L V8 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blulytes
easiest on your hands.
Definately!! If you want to find out more information I would sujest doing a search for grille removal or similar. That is the best way to do it and the easiest
Old 11-16-2008, 01:50 PM

This worked great - it is fairly easy to change the bulb

I was a little afraid to pull off the grill, but it was actually simple. I did have to use two screwdrivers to pop up the tab under the fender; one to pry and the other as the fulcrum. The slide tab under the fender is not as easy to work as the one on the radiator side. Also, I disconnected the wire to the blinker bulb so I could pull the assembly out farther.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgrpup View Post
First VERY GENTLY!!! start pulling your grille untill you start popping those clips out. Keep an eye on your chrome bar, because it is clipped into the headlight. GENTLY pull on the chrome bar at the headlight untill the clips come off, then work your way over to the other headlight. The goal is to be take your time and be gentle untill you have all the clips released. Set your grille aside(be carefull not to scratch it). Each head light has two metal tabs on top of it, the outer tabs are slightly hidden in the fender. If you pull these tabs up, it will release the headlight from the frame of the truck(be carefull not to let the headlight fall out and scratch your bumper). Once you have the headlight assembly out, pop off the circle rubber cover on the back of the unit. Your bulbs will be inside there, and make sure you don't touch the bulb when removing it. Just reverse the process when your done changing your bulbs. Oh yea, don't forget to put the rubber cap back on the headlamp unit before you re-install it, that really sucks! Good luck.
Old 12-29-2008, 05:00 PM

Best Solution for headlight replacement on TB's

It's my wifes truck we are in MN... Most shops have low flat rates for replacing them, Precision Tunes, Car X's and Rapid Oil Change places.

I ended up going to a local Pep Boys, found an online coupon for 20% off any service work. They charged me $55.00 to replace both the high and low beam. 30.00 labor, 10.99 for each bulb, then I got 20% off so it was like $46.00 total for both!

Well worth it , and yes the guy did have to remove the entire grill of the vehicle to do it for the passenger bulbs.

Maybe would not be as big of a deal in the South or when it was warm, but can only imagine how much it would cost to replace a grill that snapped in the cold weather up here.

I also drive a 06 Platinum Escalade, which is far easier for almost anything under the hood than the Trailblazer. Mike Eagan MN
Old 01-03-2009, 03:42 PM

2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LTZ
Forest Green Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Smile headlight lo-beam change

Just did my pass light, i decided to go the both front and back (grill and air box)
just for the fun of it. To the one who needs specific direction.. the rubber covers just pull off. the bulbs are under them.

this forum did help. never took the grill off before... sure wold have made it easier to install the Chome billet bowtie....

thanks guys.. lookin forward to more adventures....
Old 01-09-2009, 08:59 PM

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Piece of cake!

I just finished replacing both low beam lamps and it took less than 10 minutes. I did NOT have to remove the grill.

The rubber caps behind the bulbs come off easily if you dig your fingernails into them. If you're a nail-biter, use a small screwdriver. They are flexible rubber caps, that come off easily. Twist the bulb holder 90 degrees to unlock it, and there is a small clip securing the bulb in the holder. Just pop the new bulb in the holder, (don't touch the glass!) and twist the holder back in, and replace the rubber cap.

On the passenger side, remove the air cleaner cover and air filter for easier access. My TB did not have a cross brace, and one of the 3 screws securing the air cleaner cover was missing. You do not have to actually remove the screws, just back them out until the cover comes off. The air filter and attached plastic tube simply snap out of the housing and you can easily access the rubber cap, etc.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:51 AM

2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LTZ
Forest Green Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
sounds like a good job. my airbox has a screw missin' too the one by the fender.( mabee there all that way)

thanks for the comeback.. did you have to remove the batt for the drivers side?

later friends
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.