[SOLVED] help: cant shift into park, transmission is in neutral - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 General Tech Q&A > General

General If it doesn't fit in any other forum

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-05-2014, 05:12 PM

2003 GMC Envoy SLE
Monterey Maroon Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
help: cant shift into park, transmission is in neutral

I have searched and searched but cant seem to find anything about my specific problem. I hope you can help me troubleshoot this as im lost at this point.

the problem:

a few days ago i started the truck to move it around in the driveway and when i was done, i went to put it in park. the shifter moved all the way up and got locked in the park position but the truck was actually in neutral. to further confuse me, the dash didn't show it being in any gear. the button to unlock the shifter wouldn't depress, even when I pushed the brake pedal in. after banging on it and using some choice words it suddenly let me shift into park. the next day my wife said she had trouble getting it into park, but it finally worked for her too. but last night, after driving home, it wouldn't go into park again. the "R" appears to be selected on the dash, but its actually in neutral and I cant get it to unlock this time.

this is what I have tried so far:

i have checked fuses 25 and 27 as I read here in another post, both show continuity. I have brake lights when I depress the brake pedal. I have pulled the center console off, and used the button on the side of the solenoid to unlock the shifter. this let me shift into actual neutral so I could start it and I can drive it, it shifts into any gear just fine. the problem is that I still cant shift it into park, it just goes all the way forward but doesn't actually shift into park.

I dont know where to go from here, do I replace the shifter solenoid?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2014, 12:09 PM

2003 GMC Envoy SLE
I found this posted on another forum. looks like its probably a broken plastic bushing, few bucks for a replacement part from rock auto looks like. gonna try to confirm this today.

Quote:

Experiencing the same problem with a 2003 Envoy 2 wheel drive. Ignition switch turns on and dashboard shift display indicates that vehicle is in REVERSE however, the shift handle is actually in PARK. The car is really in NEUTRAL as it will roll when pushed but will not start in this configuration. Over the phone, service rep gave same line about something spilled into this area i.e. Coke or Pepsi but I know that is not the case since I do not eat or drink in my car. Being towed to the dealership tomorrow and will post results.
Flag This

Visitor, September 01, 2010, 17:58

2003 2W drive Envoy experience. I promised I'd post my experience & results as noted in above my comments of August 31, 2010 @ 20:57.
Two mechanics were needed to get the car out of the 'stuck' condition. One went under the car and reset the shift cable to it's proper place in able to get the car to start. The other worked the shift lever. Seems there is a plastic bushing on the end of the shift cable that gets old & cracks. This displaces the shift cable from it's mount and proper position. This causes all sorts of havoc. If the mechanic understands the problem, the car does not need to be towed (in most cases) and can be driven to the repair shop. Never the less, the shift cable should be replaced immediately. Apparently this is a very, very common problem on the Envoy and all of it's cousins. Total cost for parts & labor was $306.00 in Port Charlotte, FL on September 1, 2010
Old 01-06-2014, 12:21 PM

2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Sandalwood Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Definitely the linkage.

A new bushing did not fix mine. It still will not hold on. I used some stainless steel sheel metal to create a wrap around the linkage and zip tied it together. Yes, I am a hillbilly. It works. Getting all the way to first is difficult, as the sheet metal tries to block it. But I could not find any other way to keep the dump linkage from popping off and I got tired of laying in the water in parking lots after stopping somewhere just to pop the linkage back on.
Old 01-06-2014, 03:04 PM

2003 GMC Envoy SLE
yep i can confirm there is a problem with the linkage. i can put the shifter in the park position where it locks into place, then go under the vehicle and still move the lever and connecting cable a good half inch back and forth. something has let go inside the cable i think. not sure how i can still shift back and forth if the cable is broken, but there is a section of the cable thats covered in a rubber boot, maybe something in there broke. the bushings on both ends of the cable are solid though, no play there.
Old 01-06-2014, 04:46 PM

Post a picture. The cable is designed to be adjustable so that when the cable stretches, it can be adjusted. The movement you are describing sounds like the amount of adjustment. See attachment
Attached Files
File Type: pdf shift link.pdf‎ (93.9 KB, 40 views)
Old 01-06-2014, 10:49 PM

2006 Chevy TrailBlazer LTZ
Summit White 4.2L I6 4X4
In response to your problem

Philosophical,
I had a similar issue with my 06 TB. One day I could shift the lever fine, and then one day it would not shift at all. I was able to determine (in my case), that the transmission shift solenoid had gone bad. Luckily, there was a bypass. If you reach underneath the center console area (underneath the side panel of the shifter), there is a button on the solenoid that you can use to manually shift the vehicle (or you can just replace the solenoid).

I'm hearing everyone else's replies about how the shift cable can be moved to shift the car, which would leave my to believe that this solenoid, which controls the shift cable, may be the cause of your issue.

I hope this helps,
~James

PS-- This issue is discussed somewhere on these forums, and this part is a very common failure on our TB's/Envoy's!
Old 01-11-2014, 02:08 PM

2003 GMC Envoy SLE
just to complete the thread.

what happened is the exterior sheathing on the cable broke apart under the driver side carpet. so when moving the shift lever forward, the inner cable would push out of the sheathing just enough that there wasn't enough travel to get the transmission into park. of course, once the shift lever reached the "park" position, the solenoid would stop it from moving back, and since the transmission never actually made it into park the brake pedal wouldn't release the solenoid, so I couldn't shift back out of park without pressing the solenoid manually. this also made it so that whatever gear i was in, instead of having no play in the shift lever, there was a good half inch of play.

btw the carpet is very stiff when its -20c out, making it pretty tough the get the cable out and the new one fished back in. i had to take the driver seat off and pull apart some plastic vent under the dash to get the carpet pried up.

part number is 15785087 for $38.81 from amazon.com right now. for some reason most websites will tell you it doesn't fit your vehicle if you have a 2003 sle, but every other year it says it fits on. of course, it does fit the 2003.
Old 01-11-2014, 07:46 PM

Thanks for posting the follow up. I figured it was linkage. Mind marking this as SOLVED?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.