Nasty front differential oil! - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 Vortec 4.2L I-6 Engine and Drivetrain

02-09 Vortec 4.2L I-6 Engine and Drivetrain Q&A forum for engine and drivetrain repairs/modifications/tuning.

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 09-14-2006, 09:06 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

2005 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
4.2L I6 4X4
Nasty front differential oil!

Today I dumped and refilled the front diff on my 2005 LS @ 22Kmi. I know color is not necessarily an indication the lube is shot, but man was it black! It almost looked like it had graphite in it. The dark stuff would kind of settle out if you let it sit long enough. There's no magnet on the drain bolt. Just a bolt with a heavy nylon washer. I refilled it with Mobil-1 75w-90. Capacity per my manual is 1.7pts which is just shy of a quart (2pts = 1qt). I used a 16oz thumb trigger oiler can to refill, man did my fingers get worn out. $9.99 for a qt of M1 gear oil & about 30min & she's done. I wanted to get at the rear diff tonight but I forgot to p/up a can of brake cleaner to clean the mating surfaces for proper RTV-ing.

Joel
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2006, 09:27 PM

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Dark Gray Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
You don't have a drain on the Rear? I thought only 2002's didn't have drains.

I didn't put my front diff into a bottle, I didn't want to know what it looked like. I have 51k and I assume this was the first time it was changed. But damn, that stuff smell rank.

What's up with the gigantic fill plug?
Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2006, 10:05 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

4.2L I6 4X4
Nope, no drain plug on the rear. Just a fill plug under the gusett on the right side, input end of the diff. The cover has to come off to drain that baby. I hear ya on the HUGE front diff fill plug. You could drop a golf ball in there. It gives you more filling options, that's about all I can think of.

Joel
Old 09-15-2006, 12:22 AM
Northwest Chapter

not here not here not here
not here Other AWD
Actually, 02s DO have a drain plug in the rear, trust me Ive changed all the fluids now (except the brake fluid) in my TB and there is definately a drain plug on my 02. I do have the G80, so if non-G80 02 TBs dont have one, thats probably why.
Old 09-15-2006, 01:02 AM
TrailVoy Alumni

2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Indi-GO Blue Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarabEpic22 View Post
...I do have the G80, so if non-G80 02 TBs dont have one, thats probably why.
My non G80 02 TB has a rear drain plug.
Old 09-15-2006, 11:54 AM

2006 Chevy TrailBlazer LS EXT
Imperial Blue Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
return question

Based on your oil being that dirty, do you recommend changing it earlier? We just bought ours and it has about 4500 miles on it. I was going to do the front and rear around 20K. Is that waiting too long?
Old 09-15-2006, 12:09 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

4.2L I6 4X4
Dan, I would think 15-20Kmi would be ideal. Some think that is too anal. I really couldn't see any glitter in the oil, it was just really black. I ran it in A4wd for about a 20mi round trip to the store(s) and back, then dumped it right away. It was HOT and poured out of the diff very thin and fast. 75w-90 is kinda thin for a gear oil, but that's what GM specs. I had a hard time finding this wt at first. My local wally world had none, wound up getting the M1 75w-90 at pepboys. The only other brand they had in 75w-90 was lucas, which was also $9.99/qt.

Joel
Old 09-15-2006, 10:55 PM

2006 Chevy TrailBlazer LS EXT
Imperial Blue Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Thanks, that's kind of what I thought.
Old 09-16-2006, 01:15 AM
Northwest Chapter

not here not here not here
not here Other AWD
If you have 4500mi on it, I would change the diff oil (dont bother with the transfer case yet) before 10K as the break in period can have shavings in the diffs.
Old 09-16-2006, 03:55 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarabEpic22 View Post
If you have 4500mi on it, I would change the diff oil (dont bother with the transfer case yet) before 10K as the break in period can have shavings in the diffs.
If you wanted to changeout the diff oil at that low mileage, why would you not touch the transfer case? I know auto-trak II is a synthetic lube, but the frt/rear diffs are filled with synthetic 75w-90 from the factory as well. Just curious!

Joel
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.