Hum noise when turning steering wheel - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 General Tech Q&A > General

General If it doesn't fit in any other forum

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 08-18-2005, 11:37 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

2004 Chevy TrailBlazer LS EXT
Black 4.2L I6 4X4
Hum noise when turning steering wheel

I am wondering if anyone is getting a hum noise from the front of the TB when turning the steering wheel while the TB is not moving. I get this noise once and a while I can not duplicate the noise when I want to.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2005, 12:18 AM
TrailVoy Alumni

2005 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Black 4.2L I6 4X4
It's usually not good to just turn the wheel when the car isn't in motion... rips apart the tires
Old 08-20-2005, 01:01 PM
Basic Vendor- DRL Killer

2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Summit White 4.2L I6 2WD
I noticed last year, while I was straightening out in a parking space, mine makes a slight "rrrrr'" "rrrrrr" sound moving the wheel left and right. There was a TSB concerning a rubbing feel or noise from the steering column. I did that, but that was not the problem. What I hear is from the rack or the pump. I can duplicate it in the garage by moving the wheel slightly l and r, not even enough to scrub the tires, just enough to load the steering system. Only does it though when it's hot. Does not do it at all cold. I added a bottle of LubeGard power steering fluid protectant about a year ago, and that reduced the noise to the point I do not notice it now.
Old 08-20-2005, 04:45 PM

you shouldnt even be turning your wheels if the car is not moving, just like how homertime said. your tires will wear out soon
Old 08-20-2005, 05:21 PM
Basic Vendor- DRL Killer

2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Summit White 4.2L I6 2WD
Whether moving or not wasn't the point - I always try to be rolling at least a little bit when I steer the wheels. I'm more concerned about stress and wear to the steering links and other front end parts; not too worried about wearing out tires doing that.

My point was, my TB will make the steering noise after it gets hot, even at speed going down the road. It's just hard to hear or feel it when the vehicle's moving. Moving forward and backward in a normal manner straightening out in a parking space with the radio and everything else turned off is when I first noticed the sound it makes.

There is a TSB that addresses one cause for this - #02-02-35-006A - (02/27/2003) Squeak, Rub/Scrub Type Noise in Steering Column (Lubricate Upper Intermediate Shaft Serration (Slip) Joint and Remove Material from Upper Intermediate Shaft Bushing).

The sound I was hearing was not corrected with that TSB. It was reduced with the LubeGard.
Old 08-20-2005, 06:14 PM

2002 GMC Envoy SLT
Black 4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manbir Sandhu
you shouldnt even be turning your wheels if the car is not moving, just like how homertime said. your tires will wear out soon
Sometimes you do not have a choice...Well wait...yes you do you can run into the car that is beside the parking spot you are trying to get out of
Old 08-22-2005, 10:10 AM

2004 Chevy TrailBlazer LS EXT
Dark Green Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
There is also a service bulletin for certain '04 year model vehicles for noise...I believe hum, buzz, vibration, moan @ idle when turning the wheel. It involves power steering rack replacement with an updated steering rack assembly...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.