Help,check engine w/P0601 code - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 Vortec 4.2L I-6 Engine and Drivetrain > OEM Issues

OEM Issues Original Equipment Repairs and/or Problems

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-13-2006, 12:37 PM

2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LTZ
Dark blue and tan 4.2L I6 4X4
Help,check engine w/P0601 code

My TB has thrown a P0601 "Check sum error" code. From what I gather on this problem it is linked with the PCM. The PCM (Power Control Module) is part of the emissions control, therefore should be covered under the 80K miles or 7 years which I fall under both.
The dealer is telling me it is a problem with the PTM (Powertrain Module), and they want $800 to repair this .
So WTF is the difference between these two components?
Are they the same part and the dealer is trying to make me pay for it by calling it a different part.
I need help and fast. My TB is still at the dealer and they are waiting for my call as to what will happen with it.
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2006, 01:02 PM
No longer with us

2006 Chevy TrailBlazer SS
Silverstone Metallic 6.0L LS2 V8 AWD
I am guessing they are talking about the TCM module.

You can see it here http://www.***********/rich/ecmtcm.html

That sounds like HUGE money if thats the case. I though the part was less than $200 and you dont even need tools to replace it.

I am assuming this is what they are talking about. If so, no way on $800.

Old 11-13-2006, 01:08 PM

I'm not sure about the TCM, but then again I am not sure if the "Powertrain module" is the same as the "Power Control Module".
I just called other dealers and from what I gather they are one in the same.
So if that is the case, would I be able to buy a Tune from "PCM for less" or "Wait for me", ect... and have that solve my problem?
Old 11-13-2006, 01:11 PM
No longer with us

2006 Chevy TrailBlazer SS
Silverstone Metallic 6.0L LS2 V8 AWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWETZ View Post
I'm not sure about the TCM, but then again I am not sure if the "Powertrain module" is the same as the "Power Control Module".
I just called other dealers and from what I gather they are one in the same.
So if that is the case, would I be able to buy a Tune from "PCM for less" or "Wait for me", ect... and have that solve my problem?
No, I dont think so. Because that tune does not touch the other module.

And you have not sayd what truck you have? Year, etc.

EDIT: I just found you in another thread. And see you have an 02. I dont know about that. Think I remember reading it was all in one module back then so maybe its different.

Sounds like your problem might be in that from what I read on Google searches. How much are they saying the parts cost?
Old 11-13-2006, 02:14 PM

My TB is a 2002 LTZ with 40,000 miles on it.
The repair will be around $800 (includes PCM, reprogram and labor).

I have checked other dealers and they are about the same price for this thing.
But I am still having a hard time understanding why I am having this problem. The vehicle sees around 10,000 miles per year and why the software is not covered under some type of warranty.
I understand how the software works (I used to program with C++/MatLabs). This is something that is not touched, except by the programer of the software. So I would link this problem back to the time it was programed.
But at this point I really have no choice but to pay for the repair , they I might sell it and be done with it.
I have started to loose my faith in GMC/Chevy .
Old 11-13-2006, 02:28 PM
Basic Vendor- DRL Killer

2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Summit White 4.2L I6 2WD
If it's a 2002 i6 then the PCM (Powertrain Control Module) and "powertrain module" are one in the same. The PCM is covered in the Federal Emissions warranty section in the owner's manual.

Otherwise you could contact one of the PCM tune sellers and buy a replacement PCM from them. You provide your VIN and get a replacement programmed stock or a performance tune. I think W4Me and PCMforless can do that for about $150-160 total.
Old 11-13-2006, 02:31 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

2002 GMC Envoy SLT
Summit White 4.2L I6 4X4
Hmmm, the '02 I6 uses a single PCM (Powertrain Control Module) for engine & trannsmission control. If its bad, I would expect it to be covered under the emissions warranty....that is one of the items listed as being covered. I'd try calling GM directly and inquire as to just why the dealer would be denying covering the PCM under the Federal Emissions warranty.....might just be your dealer just doesn't know that it should be covered. (Setting up a claim under the 7/80 emissions warranty can some times be a real PITA and the dealer might just be trying to avoid it, but trying to have you foot the bill).
Old 11-13-2006, 02:36 PM

2005 Chevy TrailBlazer LS EXT
Superior Blue Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
Before I forked out 8 big bills I'd get a second opinion. I agree with Ylab - I'd make a lot of phone calls and fight them on this.
Old 11-13-2006, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ylab View Post
Hmmm, the '02 I6 uses a single PCM (Powertrain Control Module) for engine & trannsmission control. If its bad, I would expect it to be covered under the emissions warranty....that is one of the items listed as being covered. I'd try calling GM directly and inquire as to just why the dealer would be denying covering the PCM under the Federal Emissions warranty.....might just be your dealer just doesn't know that it should be covered. (Setting up a claim under the 7/80 emissions warranty can some times be a real PITA and the dealer might just be trying to avoid it, but trying to have you foot the bill).

Where can I find the info on the PCM and how is it linked to the emissions?
I have used the emissions once on my VW for the cat, and I would love to use it for the PCM and save me some money.
So how can I make this work?
Do you have the direct number for GM?
How is the PCM linked to the emissions?

I have asked the dealer about it already and they either played dumb or they don't know about that type of warranty.
Old 11-13-2006, 03:08 PM

2005 Chevy TrailBlazer LS EXT
Superior Blue Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
Here is one for starters:
http://www.epa.gov/otaq/consumer/warr95fs.txt

" There are three specified major emission control components,
covered for the first 8 years or 80,000 miles of vehicle use on 1995
and newer vehicles:

* Catalytic converters.

* The electronic emissions control unit or computer (ECU).

* The onboard emissions diagnostic device or computer (OBD).

The electronic emissions control unit or computer monitors
certain powertrain functions and controls various operating parameters
to help the vehicle run efficiently and with the lowest possible
emissions. Ignition, transmission function, air injection, exhaust
gas recirculation (EGR), engine operating temperature and fuel system
parameters are some of the systems monitored and/or controlled by the
electronic emissions control unit.
"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.