Intermittent cruise control issue. - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 Appearance > Interior

Interior Interior

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-15-2006, 09:08 AM

2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LTZ
Indigo Blue Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Intermittent cruise control issue.

I have a 2002 Trailblazer LTZ that I purchased recently. I love the truck and everything seems to work as advertised - or so I thought. The cruise control worked fine for the short trips I made here and there. I recently made an 8.5 hour trip to VA. The cruise was used for most of the trip. Toward the end, the cruise just turned off on its own and would not engage again. After fiddling around it finally came back on for about 1/2 hour then went off on its own again.

Here is the problem - it seems that the cruise is intermittent now. Sometimes it engages, sometimes it won't. Sometimes its fine for a few hours, sometimes it quits in a few minutes. Sometimes it will engage again right away, sometimes it won't engage till the truck sits for a few.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?? Any suggestions as to where to start troubleshooting the problem??

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TIA!

Rob D.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2006, 09:53 AM
TrailVoy Guru

2004 Cadillac TrailBlazer LT
Majestic Red/Sandstone 4.2L I6 2WD
My guess is the switch.
Old 11-15-2006, 11:45 AM
TrailVoy Guru

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Pewter Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
several years ago- in my 03-
we drove thru the desert- temps were close to freezing-
I used cruise most of the way- there came a point, where I got off to get gas, when we got back on highway- Cruise WOULD NOT set.
Stopped trying- a while later- I tried it, and worked fine.
Maybe too cold? I dont know.
Its worked fine ever since.
Old 11-15-2006, 11:48 AM

2005 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Silverstone Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
May want to check the switch on the brake pedal. I'm not 100% sure what the truck uses to determine if the brake is being applied so it may also be an issue with one of the brake light bulbs.
Old 12-16-2006, 09:38 PM

I was having the same problem on the TB that i just bought. (The cruise only controlled when it wanted to) While doing some other maitenace today, I found a hole in a vacume line, I put same tape around the vacume hose untill I can replace it, anyways, since then the cruise has worked wonderfully. Maby it is just going through one of the times that it decides to work, but I guess we will see.
Old 06-04-2007, 03:36 PM

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LTZ
Black 4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckwheat04 View Post
I was having the same problem on the TB that i just bought. (The cruise only controlled when it wanted to) While doing some other maitenace today, I found a hole in a vacume line, I put same tape around the vacume hose untill I can replace it, anyways, since then the cruise has worked wonderfully. Maby it is just going through one of the times that it decides to work, but I guess we will see.
What line did you tape? I am having a cruise control problem as well
Old 06-04-2007, 04:37 PM

2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Black TrailBandit 4.2L I6 4X4
I had a similar problem once too, but that was due to the shifter not being exactly on D, but a bit off. Still the gears worked, but the cruise didn't. Apparently there's a sensor on the shifter too...
Old 06-04-2007, 04:37 PM
TrailVoy Guru

2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ
Black 5.3L V8 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by RozmerJJ View Post
May want to check the switch on the brake pedal. I'm not 100% sure what the truck uses to determine if the brake is being applied so it may also be an issue with one of the brake light bulbs.
Cruise uses the brake light switch to monitor "foot on brake".

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckwheat04 View Post
I found a hole in a vacume line, I put same tape around the vacume hose untill I can replace it, anyways, since then the cruise has worked wonderfully. Maby it is just going through one of the times that it decides to work, but I guess we will see.
To the best of my knowledge, vacuum is not a part of the cruise system. It's all electric.
Old 06-04-2007, 08:28 PM

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Dark Gray Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Yeah these trucks are drive by wire. But it's possible, because there is a vacuum hose going to the throttle body.

I would lean towards the switch. Maybe try and disconnect the battery for 30 minutes to reset the computer.
Old 09-17-2013, 12:32 PM

2004 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Graystone Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Hey Im new here and I have the same issue, this is probably going to sound dumb, but does anyone have a photo of the switch on the brake pedal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.