Fuel Injector cleaning? - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 Vortec 4.2L I-6 Engine and Drivetrain > Air Induction

Air Induction Performance Air Intake/Air Induction Modifications

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 09-16-2005, 12:14 AM
Northwest Chapter

not here not here not here
not here Other AWD
Fuel Injector cleaning?

The local transmission place is offering $30 off fuel injector cleaning. I call to see what they do, and they hook up a machine with chemicals that remove the gunk and carbon deposites. Does anyone have any suggestions? Should I do it, and if so, will I get anything out of doing it? Its kinda pricey, $100 per car, and if I do it to my TB, the RX gets it as well. Has anyone had any problems or anything like that? They are both at ~51k miles, although my RX is 3 yrs older.

What do ya think???

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2005, 09:43 AM
Basic Vendor- DRL Killer

2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Summit White 4.2L I6 2WD
Services like this are very profitable for those shops. Is it running rough or poorly? SES light coming on? Any reason other than they just recommend doing it? Considering the cost of replacing injectors I would not run anything through them that is not GM approved, and only if there is a problem. If you consistently use a "Top Tier" rated gasoline brand (see http://www.toptiergas.com ) like Chevron, Shell, etc., with enough cleaner and detergent additives already in it from the pump, you will likely not have injector clogging problems. Be sure to check out the section "Deposit Control". I would use that $100 to buy more gas to go down the road. My 3.
Old 09-16-2005, 11:16 AM

2002 GMC Envoy SLT
Sandalwood Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Tblazed's advice is right on the money. I wouldn't take them up on their offer unless there's a good reason such as rough running, etc. As a preventive maintenance procedure it's going to benefit mostly the shop (more $$ in their pocket). An occasional bottle of injector cleaner will do the trick. I've heard only good things about Chevron Techron, so that's what I use.

And it's nice to finally see someone else who has heard of and believes in Top Tier gas! Seems like everyone I mention this to says something along the lines of "Huh? Gas is gas!" I've been running only Top Tier since I first heard about it.
http://www.gm.com/automotive/fueleconomy/detergent.html
Old 09-16-2005, 01:34 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

2006 GMC Envoy Denali
Red Jewel Tintcoat 5.3L V8 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by tblazed
Services like this are very profitable for those shops. Is it running rough or poorly? SES light coming on? Any reason other than they just recommend doing it? Considering the cost of replacing injectors I would not run anything through them that is not GM approved, and only if there is a problem. If you consistently use a "Top Tier" rated gasoline brand (see http://www.toptiergas.com ) like Chevron, Shell, etc., with enough cleaner and detergent additives already in it from the pump, you will likely not have injector clogging problems. Be sure to check out the section "Deposit Control". I would use that $100 to buy more gas to go down the road. My 3.
Which will buy a little over a tank of gas these days. I agree with tblazed though. I use a bottle of injector cleaner every 15k miles or so. Gas stations are known to get crap in their gas. I much rather spend a few $$ on injector cleaner than a new injector down the road.
Old 09-16-2005, 07:02 PM
Northwest Chapter

not here Other AWD
Thanks guys.
No, Im not having problems, just looking into it for mainly my RX because its getting hrrible mileage. Still runs smooth and great, so decieded to buy some Techron today and will put it in tomorrow when I fill up. Also, Im going to clean the TB and the MAF on it and check the tires. Hopefully this will help!
Old 09-16-2005, 08:38 PM

2005 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Dark Gray Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarabEpic22
Thanks guys.
No, Im not having problems, just looking into it for mainly my RX because its getting hrrible mileage. Still runs smooth and great, so decieded to buy some Techron today and will put it in tomorrow when I fill up. Also, Im going to clean the TB and the MAF on it and check the tires. Hopefully this will help!
Erik, I didn't know that the 6 cyl. had a MAF, I thought only the 5.3 had a maf. Can you confirm this?
Old 09-16-2005, 09:47 PM
Northwest Chapter

not here Other AWD
Sorry, in that sentence I am referring to my 99 RX300 3.0 V6. It has a MAF, while the 02-05 TB/ect. with the 4.2L I6 all have IAT. I just finished cleaning mine about 2 hours ago, and it is not a MAF! Sorry for the confusion.

EDIT: The 5.3L V8s all have MAFs, forgot to say that earlier!
Old 09-21-2005, 08:13 PM

as a part of our (my dealership) scheduled maintanence, we flush the fuel injectors a minimum of every 30k. sooner if there are running problems. we run a mixture of top-engine cleaner and gasoline through the fuel rail at high pressure for about 30 minutes. this cleans all the carbon and varnish buildup from the injectors. as for aftermarket fuel system treatments, be very careful. there are many out there that can actually damage the seals in the injectors and possibly void the warranty on your fuel system. GM sells a fuel system cleaner that goes into the tank that is comparably priced to the other cleaners. top tier gas is a good way to go, but even that is not perfect. there are always going to be contaminants in any fuel that you buy.
Old 09-21-2005, 09:22 PM

2006 Chevy TrailBlazer SS
Silverstone Metallic 6.0L LS2 V8 AWD
A good product to use for cleaning out your fuel system is Fuel Power.

All the reading and more regarding it can be found from consumer reviews over at BobIsTheOilGuy.
Old 09-21-2005, 09:56 PM
TrailVoy Guru

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LT EXT
Onyx Black 4.2L I6 4X4
I'm going w. the $10 motomaster fuel injector cleaner from canadian tire

THESE BIG RED LETTERS HELP ME FIND MY POST
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.