Strange noise comming from front end - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 Brakes, Suspension, Wheels and Tires > OEM Issues

OEM Issues OEM Repairs & Problems

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-12-2006, 01:36 PM

Strange noise comming from front end

It only does this sometimes...

when I make a hard left at lower speeds and turn the wheel all the way (like the kind of manuver you would make in a crowded parking lot), I notice a rubbing sound comming from the front right wheel. I have rulled out rubbing....so now I can't figure out what it is.

It is very noticable, but only if I am making a quick turn. If I start moving after I turn the wheel, there is no sound. it's odd because it is only on left turns and it is the right wheel.

Is there a way that I can quiet this down without consulting a mechanic? I sure hope it isn't a major suspension problem. A friend of mine's 02 Envoy does the same thing.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2006, 03:29 PM

2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Forest Green Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
It could be a problem with the sway bar links in the front end, the GM ones are pretty crappy, I got mine replaced with some aftermarket ones recommended by my Mechanic, they are much stronger, but they were about $110 a side instead of the GM $60 per side.

-=Chipper=-
Old 12-12-2006, 06:37 PM
TrailVoy Guru

2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ
Black 5.3L V8 4X4
Have someone stand by that wheel while you turn the wheels. That will locate the noise. Then we can help to locate the problem.
Old 12-12-2006, 06:43 PM

2007 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Graystone Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
There might be rubber stops on thre frame that have to be greased,were on my 2001 Blazer
Old 12-12-2006, 07:02 PM

2004 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Imperial Blue Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
I have exactly the same problem. mine seems to be connected to the amount of throttle i give it too. like it could be power steering pump failure but it is only when i turn left. sonds like a rub but nothing is rubing, or maybe vibration.

BTW: mine is an 04 ls with 53k
Old 02-28-2007, 11:26 PM

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Dark Gray Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
i am having the same prob. seems like mine only happenswhen i am turning hard left and the suspension has to work (bumps, etc.).

did u ever figure out the problem? i have an '03 tb w/only 40k.
Old 02-28-2007, 11:43 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

2007 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Silverstone Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipper View Post
It could be a problem with the sway bar links in the front end, the GM ones are pretty crappy, I got mine replaced with some aftermarket ones recommended by my Mechanic, they are much stronger, but they were about $110 a side instead of the GM $60 per side.

-=Chipper=-
I think you paid way too much..aftermarket are no more that $20 per side front or back. Upgrade to MOOG and they are maybe around $46 per side...Gm parts where closer to $80 per side.. I change my fronts in Nov and rears 2wks ago.

Do a search on link ends or sway bar

JAy
Old 03-01-2007, 12:35 AM

2006 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Question

I am new to the forum, I've only had my '06 TB LS for a couple of weeks ... anyway, when I make the turn into my apartment parking lot I hear a rubbing noise also (from the front drivers side tire), but mine is when I'm turning right... Its been driving me crazy and I don't want to take it to the dealer... I've also ruled out rubbing because there is no wear or marking visible.

Thanks in advance guys, this forum has been my number1 source for all my TB needs and I hope in the future I can contribute my experiences. -Matt

[Also, there are no aftermarket parts or upgrades yet, its still all stock]
Old 03-01-2007, 03:18 AM
TrailVoy Alumni

Sandstone Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Is everyone who is having this problem 4wd? sounds almost like a cv joint, vaguely. Otherwise...I don't have any guesses.
Old 03-01-2007, 10:06 AM

mine is 4wd...and i just used it quite extensively due to lots of snow & a ski trip to even more snow.

also, i know the factory sway bar links are crap, but isn't the noise that comes from them more of a "rattle" and not a "clunking & squeaking" sound (yes, there is both)??? i have the latter sounds, and it only happens when i turn hard left AND hit a bump of some sort, or turn into my driveway (quite steep).

this problem is also alleviated when i dont turn the wheel all the way...if i turn it about 1-2 inches shorter, i hear no sounds at all...sounds like a joke i heard once..."hey, doctor, it hurts when i do this...doctor says, 'don't do that.'"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.