TRANSFER CASE FLUID? - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 Vortec 4.2L I-6 Engine and Drivetrain > 4x4 Drivetrain

4x4 Drivetrain 4x4 Repairs & Problems

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 09-26-2005, 12:15 AM

2004 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
4.2L I6 4X4
TRANSFER CASE FLUID?

Has anyone used anything other than GM fluid in their transfer case? I know there is a GM SPEC #, somewhere I thought I saw where AMSOIL has an oil they say will work. Any help on this subject. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2005, 01:36 AM
Northwest Chapter

not here not here not here
not here Other AWD
To my knowledge AMSOIL does not have a fluid that will work, and I am a preferred customer and get their newsletters. I put in AutoTrak II fluid, 2qts. You will have some left over in the bottles because they are liters, not qts. I will look into the AMSOIL fluid though, and get back to you on it, eventually!
Old 09-26-2005, 01:43 AM
Northwest Chapter

not here not here not here
not here Other AWD
I looked at Amsoils website, and now see that they offer a fluid for the Transfer Case,W/ manual trc. I know this is not applicable to 4WD trucks, but it says for vehicles with this, you can use ATF. I know for my transfer case, NV226, only AutoTrak II will work.
Old 09-26-2005, 11:57 PM

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LT EXT
5.3L V8 4X4
Maybe Redline MTL

FWIW
I haven't changed out the transfer case yet, but am a fan of Redline products. According to their 'cheat sheet':
GM Automatic Transfer Case Fluid, GM PT# 12378508 (Blue), can be replaced with Redline MTL (Manual Transmission Lube).

Good luck
Wxman
Old 09-27-2005, 11:04 PM

4.2L I6 4X4
Thanks for the input on this, I guess I'll just go with GM fluid then add IXL METAL FRICTION PROTECTOR, I have never had to change the transfer case oil on my NP208 since adding IXL, the ATF is still clear red after 65,000 miles. Before I was changing it every 25,000 miles because it was turning black.
Again THANKS.
Old 10-04-2005, 09:12 PM

4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wxman
FWIW
I haven't changed out the transfer case yet, but am a fan of Redline products. According to their 'cheat sheet':
GM Automatic Transfer Case Fluid, GM PT# 12378508 (Blue), can be replaced with Redline MTL (Manual Transmission Lube).

Good luck
Wxman
After further research I going with you Wxman. I did contact Redline Corporate and they said the MTL would meet GM specs but because GMs fluid is blue, to save any problems to wait until warranty had expired to change. That is from Redline. This B.S. of manufactures forcing people to buy from them because they claim only theirs works, not to mention they hold you hostage by charging a big price, pisses me off. Because of that I won't buy GM S--T if it is a dollar a quart and was not for sure that was how I was going to go in the first place. We owned a Dodge and they did the same crap, being an old mechanic I remember when we put FORD type F in everything, so I contacted an old tranny shop in Vegas and they are now putting DEXRON in everything. GEE that Dodge worked great after they servicing it and adding DEXRON. I drove it 40,000 before buying our TB no troubles. According to Dodge Mopar-4 was needed. @ $9.00/QT vs DEXRON @ $2.00/QT. Enough out of me, if you didn't get it that's OK.
Old 10-08-2007, 05:15 PM

2002 GMC Envoy SLE
Sandstone Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Transfer case fluid

The fluid is only $6 per quart and you need 2 quarts. For $12 I'm not going to worry about buying GM Brand.

Amsoil SVG is a good substuite for the GM synthetic Differential oil in the front (1 qt) & rear Differential (2qts).

No matter what change these fluids at least every 50 k miles if you want your truck to last.
Old 10-09-2007, 09:15 AM
TrailVoy Alumni

2004 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Silverstone Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecarbonman View Post
After further research I going with you Wxman. I did contact Redline Corporate and they said the MTL would meet GM specs but because GMs fluid is blue, to save any problems to wait until warranty had expired to change. That is from Redline. This B.S. of manufactures forcing people to buy from them because they claim only theirs works, not to mention they hold you hostage by charging a big price, pisses me off. Because of that I won't buy GM S--T if it is a dollar a quart and was not for sure that was how I was going to go in the first place. We owned a Dodge and they did the same crap, being an old mechanic I remember when we put FORD type F in everything, so I contacted an old tranny shop in Vegas and they are now putting DEXRON in everything. GEE that Dodge worked great after they servicing it and adding DEXRON. I drove it 40,000 before buying our TB no troubles. According to Dodge Mopar-4 was needed. @ $9.00/QT vs DEXRON @ $2.00/QT. Enough out of me, if you didn't get it that's OK.
Don't blame GM or Dodge for making a fluid that works, blame the rest of the manufacturers out there for not making a product that meets spec!
Old 10-19-2007, 03:34 PM

2004 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Graphite Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
This might sound like the worst question in the world. But is there a way you can check the front and rear diff fluid? I have never owned a rear-wheel drive vehicle, and am unsure if you can do this, and if you can, where to check it. Thanks for the help!
Old 11-15-2007, 07:18 PM

2002 GMC Envoy SLT
Fire Red 4.2L I6 4X4
Bringing the thread back to life....

You can check the oil in your diffs by removing the fill plugs located about halfway up. Stick your finger in and feel for the level of the oil. It should be at least within 1/2" of the fill hole. If the fluid is black and not nice and oily, change it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.