SES and Reduced Engine Power light on - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 Vortec 4.2L I-6 Engine and Drivetrain > OEM Issues

OEM Issues Original Equipment Repairs and/or Problems

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-02-2005, 07:38 AM

SES and Reduced Engine Power light on

Driving into work this morning I was going ~60mph and while trying to take it up to ~70mph to pass someone my Service Engine Soon light came on and the Reduced Engine Power light came on and I was stuck at ~62 or 63 with the tach stuck at 2k. Anyone else ever have this happen to them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2005, 08:31 AM

Yes,

My wife has had a similar problem in her 05 V8 LWB Ascender. It appears that the condition could be due to worn wiring. We have had a very hard time getting the Isuzu dealer to fix this. They pull codes ranging from throttle position to high resistance and clear the codes and can never duplicate the problem. We have also had an ECM software upgrade, but this did no good. Our Ascender is currently in the dealers shop.

Good Luck

If you bring it to the dealer tell them it could be due to frayed wiring.

Here is a similar set of posts from someone at edmunds.com

"Service engine soon light came on intermittently, then stayed on & reduced engine power light would come on too when car first started in the morning. aAfter car was running a while I restart car & reduced engine power light turns off but Service engine soon light still on. Brought to chevy dealer who put it on the computer & the following codes came up:P0530, P1221, P1634, P1481, P1635. They say main harness is rubbed through & faulty throttle body & both need to be replaced. I take car to my mechanic who does not see any damage to main harness, so thinks it just might be throttle body & orders the part. In the meantime I'm driving my car again & if upon exiting my car I turn on securuty system, all sensors get cleared out & car is running fine. What's up with that? Body control module shouldn't affect fuel system sensors?????

OK here's an update- replaced the throttlebody & "reduced engine power" light went out but "service engine soon" still coming on. They figured it was actually a "bad computer" now instead. They replaced the computer & everything was fine
but the next day "service engine soon" light came back on. Everyone is baffled!
Any ideas?????

It seems that you are having some of the same problems that I recently had! We have had the TB in the shop on three different ocasions with the same issues! It finally came down to a chafed wire that was getting wet and causing the power loss! After the same series of repairs as others have mentioned including the trottle and computer repairs all that it was was chaffed wiring that showed up when wet! "
Old 11-02-2005, 08:50 AM

Thanks,

and great I just bought this car because I was having too many problems with the last one, which sucks because I love this truck. At least I am under warranty so they better fix it for free...
Old 11-02-2005, 09:07 AM

2005 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Black 4.2L I6 2WD
I had an issue with my 05 TB where just out of the blue it would not go over 30mph then it would run fine. The Check Engine light did not come on so when I took it to the dealer they said they could not find anything.

The last time it happened the CE light came on and I called onstar to do a diagnostic. They told me it was the trasmision control module and the power control module giving error codes.

The dealer said the same thing and they put in new ones.

No problem since.
Old 11-02-2005, 11:45 AM
TrailVoy Alumni

2007 Chevy TrailBlazer SS
Silverstone Metallic 6.0L LS2 V8 2WD
did you have any work done to the truck lately? is there a remote starter in the truck?
Old 11-02-2005, 12:46 PM

No remote start although I want to add one any suggestions before I make a post about that? Only "recent" work that was done was last night when I hit some rust (Surface) with WD40 and I also hit the swaybar endlinks with WD because they were squeeking a wee bit. I did drive it ~5 miles round trip after that with no lights and I drove it ~4 miles this morning before the lights popped on this morning. I started it at lunch and the SES light was still on but the REP light was out.
Old 11-04-2005, 11:30 AM

2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Pewter Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
Ive been battling my SES for the better part of a year now. The only error code is a misfire on the # 2 cylinder during start up. Ive replaced plugs & the ignition coil but the light still comes one. The vehicle is not misfiring. The cruise control is also intermitent. I have just chalked it up to GM's electrical short comings.

2002 LS, Pewter, totally stock.
Old 11-07-2005, 08:36 AM

My wife just had this happend to her yesterday.

She got the check engine light and reduced power.

She pulled of to the side of a major highway and said she did not have enough power to get up to speed.

The Isuzu dealer has replaced the throttle sensor only last Friday, and has updated the ECM PCM with new software.

But it seems that each time they do something the condition is worse.

I believe that this is a wiring problem, because the code that keeps being pulled is high resistance. When high resistance goes to extreme there is no connection or an open circuit.

I am about at wits end.

My wife pushed onstar and they towed her to the dealer.

Kudos to onstar the truck was ther in 20 minutes.

Anyone have any ideas hear so that we can help the dealer find the problem.

The dealer is stumped or at least they are not capable of finding the problem.

Thanks

Rich
05 Ascender Limited 7 Pass V8
Old 11-07-2005, 09:48 AM

Funny thing is I started it up and have since not had any issues. The lights turned off and no more symptoms. My drive has stayed the same. The only change I made thus far was the gas I was using. I switched from Marathon to BP (I always seems to get better mileage on BP or shell) and it has since been running like a champ.
Old 11-07-2005, 02:18 PM
Crybaby

2004 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Silver Green Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
DO NOT USE BP

Very bad for our TB's and Voy's.....
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.