tips on replacing valve covers gasket - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > The Lounge > Everything Off-Topic

Everything Off-Topic A place to post pics, videos or to talk about anything, NOT RELATED to TrailVoys. (Please use good judgement)

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 05-01-2007, 08:30 PM
No longer with us

2002 Chevy TrailBlazer SS
Jet Black 4.2L I6 4X4
tips on replacing valve covers gasket

I started to take apart the engine of my project truck (93 Dodge Dakota V6) and i need to replave the valve cover gasket. I have never done this kind of mechanic work but i want to give it a try, don't think its that hard. Anyone have any tips?
Any help will be appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2007, 08:49 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

2006 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Silverstone Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktbon20s View Post
I started to take apart the engine of my project truck (93 Dodge Dakota V6) and i need to replave the valve cover gasket. I have never done this kind of mechanic work but i want to give it a try, don't think its that hard. Anyone have any tips?
Take your time.
Clean the top of the engine...
When removing the old ones, use a gasket scraper to get it all off.
DON'T LET ANY FALL INTO THE ENGINE.
Don't over tighten the bolts with the new gasket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2007, 08:54 PM
No longer with us

Jet Black 4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by topprolmc View Post
Take your time.
Clean the top of the engine...
When removing the old ones, use a gasket scraper to get it all off.
DON'T LET ANY FALL INTO THE ENGINE.
Don't over tighten the bolts with the new gasket.
hmm gotta get me a gasket scraper(i guess its specialized to not damage the metal!?!)
i got the gasket and some type of sealer that come in a bottle. Autopart store said they recommend it b/c it helps prevent leaks.

Thanks for the tips. Today i clean the whole engine bay with some degreaser. But still need to give it some scrubing. Around the valve covers its filled with gunk.from the oil that was leaking out
Old 05-01-2007, 08:56 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

Quote:
hmm gotta get me a gasket scraper(i guess its specialized to not damage the metal!?!)
i got the gasket and some type of sealer that come in a bottle. Autopart store said they recommend it b/c it helps prevent leaks.

Thanks for the tips. Today i clean the whole engine bay with some degreaser. But still need to give it some scrubing. Around the valve covers its filled with gunk.from the oil that was leaking out

you can use a Stright Razor too, just be carefull not to cut yerself.

Also, If you have to remove any lines/wires to access the covers LABEL THEM.....LOL
Old 05-01-2007, 09:35 PM
No longer with us

2011 Chevy Tahoe
Mocha Steel Metallic 5.3L V8 4X4
Quote:
Also, If you have to remove any lines/wires to access the covers LABEL THEM.....LOL
This can't be said enough times. LABEL every connection you remove, and put a NUMBER on the label. That way when its all disconnected, you will know how many connections have to go back on and not miss any. Yes.... this is experience talking.
Old 05-01-2007, 10:55 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghoster View Post
This can't be said enough times. LABEL every connection you remove, and put a NUMBER on the label. That way when its all disconnected, you will know how many connections have to go back on and not miss any. Yes.... this is experience talking.

LOL

I never would have expected that from you....
So, was it the TB?
Old 05-01-2007, 11:01 PM
No longer with us

Jet Black 4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
LOL

So, was it the TB?
lol
i'm guessing he is talking about the GMC pickup he bought recently
Old 05-01-2007, 11:05 PM
No longer with us

2011 Chevy Tahoe
Mocha Steel Metallic 5.3L V8 4X4
Quote:
LOL

So, was it the TB?
Quote:
lol
i'm guessing he is talking about the GMC pickup he bought recently
Nope! neither one. It was the BMW. That car was a big mass of wires and sensors. The first time I played with it, it took me a week to get it back the right way. So the second time I labeled everything, and took pics from every angle so I could get it back together. BMW 7 series just aren't meant to be worked on by the average shade tree mechanic!!
Old 05-02-2007, 08:03 PM
TrailVoy Guru

2003 Chevrolet TrailBlazer LT
Scratchy Black 4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
Its not hard at all!

Take pics / label/ sketch if you have to before you take start taking things apart. Electrical connectors are fairly easy to put back in their place during reassembly, but vacuum lines can really suck, esp. if the diagram under the hood is missing.

Use compressed air to remove debris from the valve cover area before removal. The canned stuff for cleaning computers works in a pinch.

A mini grinder w/ 2" discs will work best to get the old gasket(s) off. Some people dont agree with this method because of the possibility of debris getting into the motor when cleaning the stuff of the head, but it ensures clean mating surfaces. If you dont have access or dont agree with my method, a gasket scraper will do. Just make sure its clean.

I use the permatex red tacky stuff to hold the gasket to the valve cover during re-installation. I also put bolts in opposite corners of the cover and hold them there during re-installation. This assures the gasket didnt move and is properly aligned before putting the rest of the bolts in..

If you run into any problems just ask. Good luck!
Old 05-02-2007, 08:35 PM
No longer with us

Jet Black 4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAY03LT View Post
Its not hard at all!

Take pics / label/ sketch if you have to before you take start taking things apart. Electrical connectors are fairly easy to put back in their place during reassembly, but vacuum lines can really suck, esp. if the diagram under the hood is missing.

Use compressed air to remove debris from the valve cover area before removal. The canned stuff for cleaning computers works in a pinch.

A mini grinder w/ 2" discs will work best to get the old gasket(s) off. Some people dont agree with this method because of the possibility of debris getting into the motor when cleaning the stuff of the head, but it ensures clean mating surfaces. If you dont have access or dont agree with my method, a gasket scraper will do. Just make sure its clean.

I use the permatex red tacky stuff to hold the gasket to the valve cover during re-installation. I also put bolts in opposite corners of the cover and hold them there during re-installation. This assures the gasket didnt move and is properly aligned before putting the rest of the bolts in..

If you run into any problems just ask. Good luck!
First of all thanks for the tips.
Today i removed them and couldn't belive what i saw
The cover has 8 bolts and not even 1 was tight!! They were all LOOSE! I mean i removed them by simply using my hand, w/o any tool no wonder it was leaking oil like crazy
The gasket was relatively easy to remove. I used a new razor,lifted one end and then it just came out w/ ease. I was impressed. I taught i was going to have a hard time removing it.
Want to thank everyone that helped. Every tip you guys gave me already came in use or its going to come in use
Took some pics,here they are

this is after i clean them

and before i cleaned them

decided to paint the valve cover since i have them off.

and for those who don't know this is kinda how its going to look when its finished. Its going to be green but with a custom paint job and with out all those crazy designs. But i want to get similar rims, going to be lifted. well basically its going to look like that except the paint. So excited
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.