Battery cable replacement... - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 General Tech Q&A > General

General If it doesn't fit in any other forum

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-11-2005, 10:44 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

2006 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Summit White 4.2L I6 2WD
Battery cable replacement...

Think again. It's a major PITA. My replacement AC/Delco battery was leaking and had corroded the Pos battery cable fitting so badly, I knew I was going to have to replace it. Anyways, I figured I would let it go until I had the time and the money to fix it. In another thread someone stated I should go and replace the cable in addition to the battery. Last week the battery died when I was cleaning the inside of the truck, and today it died when I was working on the doors. Well, I figured I shouldn't risk getting stranded and I went to a store that carried the positive cable ($40..AC/Delco PN 4SX402FSA). Well, I drove 20 mins there and when I went to leave...nothing. Didn't even crank once, and everything died...click click click. So I got a friend to give me a ride to Pep-Boys to get a battery (AC/Delco 78DT) and then we went back and jumped the truck off and I got home, loaded up some tools and went to the fire dept where I could do it indoors. When I got there I shut it off and it refused to start not even one minute after I shut it off. Battery was D-E-A-D dead.

Now for the fun part . I disconnected the Neg and cut off the positive, since it was so corroded I couldn't even break torque on the bolt. Removed the old battery and got to work disconnecting the cable from the alternator and the starter. First off...the damned bolt for the alternator would be easy to get to, but all the harnesses from the PCM, etc are right over it. It took some contorting but I got that one off somewhat easily. The starter one is a PITA . You can't really see it or reach it from above. I had to jack up the truck and slide under it and take it off by feel. Then I had to undo all those little cable clamps. I found that the battery acid had indeed permeated the entire cable, as there was discoloration and evidence of corrosion in the cable all the way to the ends...so it made me glad that I replaced it. Installation is just as big a pain as removal, but at least you know where the clips are, etc. It took me about 4 hours. Truck started on the first try and everything is fine.

Only question is...when I start it now, sometimes the truck drops reallll low on RPMs for a second, is this normal for it to relearn its settings? It was without any power for over 4 hours.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2005, 10:59 PM

yeh, it take a little time to relearn for the PCM to relearn. don't worry about that. good job in fixing the power. I would be a little freaked if my tb wouldn't start...
4.2L I6, 3.73 rear ratio Airaid CAI Poweraid TBS Mobil1 Full Synth-ACDelco PF61 Optima YellowTop (Fried) Sylvania Silverstars (1 side blew) RPL'd with GE Nighthawk Infinity Burl dash AVS In-Channel Deflector, it's a LTZ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2005, 11:02 PM
TrailVoy Guru

2006 Chevy TrailBlazer SS (LT)
White 402ci Other AWD
I've never seen a starter that was easy to get to.. had to swap the wires in my last blazer. the trick to doing the alternator is having a long enough extension so you can just go underneath the ECM

Think of it this way, the next time you do it, it'll be a snap!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2005, 11:04 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

2006 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Summit White 4.2L I6 2WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyjam
Think of it this way, the next time you do it, it'll be a snap!
I hope there won't be a next time!!! Hopefully everything will iron itself out and it'll be back to normal. It's very disconcerting hopping in your car and turn the key and...click click click. Glad it didn't happen out in the middle of nowhere at night or something.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.