P0526/Cooling Fan Speed Sensor Circuit - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 General Tech Q&A > General

General If it doesn't fit in any other forum

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-20-2005, 01:02 AM
TrailVoy Alumni

Black & Stl Blue Metallic AWD
P0526/Cooling Fan Speed Sensor Circuit

I pulled this code with my Interceptor gauge I installed today. Anyone every had this code before? Should I be rushing to the dealer or get in there when I can?

I found the following when I searched for this code:

Sensed Parameter:EV Cooling Fan Sensor Circuit

Fault Code:P0526

Monitor Strategy Description: Detects a continuous open or short condition with the EV Cooling Fan Sensor input circuit(s)

Malfunction Criteria and Threshold Value(s):No EV Fan Sensor Circuit input activity is detected (fan speed is < than 40 RPM)

Secondary Parameters and Enable Conditions:Engine is running/System voltage is > 8.5 volts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2005, 02:12 AM
Northwest Chapter

not here not here not here
not here Other AWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by OurZoo
I pulled this code with my Interceptor gauge I installed today. Anyone every had this code before? Should I be rushing to the dealer or get in there when I can?

I found the following when I searched for this code:

Sensed Parameter:EV Cooling Fan Sensor Circuit

Fault Code:P0526

Monitor Strategy Description: Detects a continuous open or short condition with the EV Cooling Fan Sensor input circuit(s)

Malfunction Criteria and Threshold Value(s):No EV Fan Sensor Circuit input activity is detected (fan speed is < than 40 RPM)

Secondary Parameters and Enable Conditions:Engine is running/System voltage is > 8.5 volts
Cant help, but hey, the guage is already helping you out!!! And, you havent even driven very much yet!!! Woohoo!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2005, 09:59 AM
TrailVoy Alumni

I was thinking about the code. It might be an old code the computer hasn't even cleared yet?
Old 11-20-2005, 12:24 PM

2002 GMC Envoy SLT
Sandalwood Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Sounds like your fan clutch (what drives the engine cooling fan) has given up the ghost. This is a common problem with our trucks. I would recommend you get to the dealer "soon," esp. if you're going to be doing any towing or hauling. Plus it's probably warm enough where you are that you don't want to run the risk of having the engine run hot if you get stuck in traffic.

This code will set if the powertrain computer (PCM) loses input from the fan clutch. When this code sets the PCM commands the fan to 100% engagement, which means if your clutch was working electrically you'd hear a load roar every time you hit the gas. Your XUV would be much noisier than normal and you'd notice something was up. However if the clutch is dead, than the PCM can command all it wants but nothing will happen.

Have you seen the service engine light recently? Even if not there is still a problem. The light will only come on if the PCM detects the problem 2X in a row. It will go out after 3 consecutive trips with no problem detected, but the code is still stored.

Couple other things: Have you run the engine at all without the drive belt on? This will set the code. Has the clutch already been replaced and maybe the dealer forgot to clear the code?

If the dealer determines the clutch is bad make sure they install the updated part and perform the PCM flash to improve cooling and A/C performance. This is discussed in detail here:
http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthrea...ght=fan+clutch
Old 11-20-2005, 12:49 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

2006 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Summit White 4.2L I6 2WD
Check to make sure the electrical connector parts for the clutch is seated tightly...looking from the frt of the veh it's at the rt side of the fan shroud. The trouble code you describe almost sounds like the fan clutch isn't communicating with the PCM, so the PCM doesn't know the status of the fan. It could possibly even be indication only - the fan is responding but it's not sending any readings back to the computer, which would cause the PCM to assume it's not working properly. The first time my truck threw that code was when I was driving 70MPH on the interstate and the clutch went tango uniform and fully engaged to the fail-safe setting. I thought the fan was going to shell out at that speed . It later reset. The code may clear if it was intermittent, if it gets a signal back it might just go away. If it IS your fan clutch, you can change it yourself if your truck is not under warranty, but expect some time to be involved if you can't get your hands on the fan clutch tool. But it still saves you over $300!!!!
Old 11-21-2005, 01:09 AM
TrailVoy Alumni

While I was on the freeway tonight on the way home from work, I checked for codes just see if the code would be there. It was not.....When I got home, pulled in the garage and rechecked. Sure enough, the code was there!
I'll start with checking under the hood. I've unplugged that bad boy recently when I installed my last Westers tune. I know I plugged it back in for sure, but maybe it just isn't seated correctly. Then, if need be off to the dealer. I'm still under warranty, so its just some of my time. If they flash the pcm though, they will overwrite my tune.
Old 11-21-2005, 10:02 AM
TrailVoy Alumni

2006 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Summit White 4.2L I6 2WD
Yeah, mine would throw a code and put on the SES light. Then it would go out. Then maybe months would go by and it'd come on again, and then go out either on the same trip within minutes, or it'd stay on for a few trips. All the while my fan was up to it's old tricks. Start truck up...fully engaged, and it would stay that way until I got up to about 40-50 MPH and I think it just reached its max RPM and would slowly fade back to normal. But slow down for any amount of time (ATM/fast food drive-thru, traffic, slow driving in subdivisions, etc) and it would be ramping back up to fully engaged. As luck would have it, when I brought it to the dealer very early on in it's failure the thing performed flawlessly, and worked just fine for about 3 weeks, and then it went back and stayed there. I wonder how much my gas mileage plummeted when the fan was f*d up. I don't really keep track of my mileage. I have a general idea that it's in the upper teens, so I notice if it gets substantially worse, but I'm not one of those people that takes the time to keep records so I can record a .2 mpg increase. Not worth the effort. Anyways, hopefully they won't need to reflash it so you don't lose the tune.
Old 11-21-2005, 11:13 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

Gas mileage difference, huh? How does that correlate? Funny you say that cuz I noticed this last fill up that my mileage went in the crapper.
Old 11-21-2005, 11:49 PM
Northwest Chapter

not here not here not here
not here Other AWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by OurZoo
Gas mileage difference, huh? How does that correlate? Funny you say that cuz I noticed this last fill up that my mileage went in the crapper.
Fan clutch locked on= bad mileage.

Sorry Andrew, think it is time to get it replaced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2005, 12:01 AM
TrailVoy Alumni

Good to know the gauge works at least. I'm sure my service advisor will get a kick out of how I know what's up with the truck. Gonna have to be next week that I take it in though b/c of the holiday and all. I guess that means I'm gonna suck down another tank of petro real quick!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.