Starting slow and fuel smell - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 Vortec 4.2L I-6 Engine and Drivetrain > OEM Issues

OEM Issues Original Equipment Repairs and/or Problems

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 06-08-2007, 08:21 PM

2003 GMC Envoy SLE
Light Pewter Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Starting slow and fuel smell

I have a 2003 GMC Envoy 4X4 with 60,000 miles on it. Recently it started taking a little longer than usual to start. I have to let it crank for a few seconds until the engine turns over. There is also a strong smell of gas all around the vehicle. I can't pinpoint where the smell is coming from. The gas cap is on correctly I already checked that. It's also not leaking any gas down onto the ground. I didn't see anything leaking or spraying under the hood but I didn't take anything apart either. It runs fine once I get it started. I think it's somehow losing pressure in the fuel line when it sits for a while and I have to wait for fuel to get back up to the engine for it to start. That's why it won't turn over right away. I was wondering if this was a common problem or if anyone can give my an idea of where I should look for the leak. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2007, 08:46 PM
TrailVoy Guru

2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ
Black 5.3L V8 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by richmondb View Post
I have a 2003 GMC Envoy 4X4 with 60,000 miles on it. Recently it started taking a little longer than usual to start. I have to let it crank for a few seconds until the engine turns over. There is also a strong smell of gas all around the vehicle. I can't pinpoint where the smell is coming from. The gas cap is on correctly I already checked that. It's also not leaking any gas down onto the ground. I didn't see anything leaking or spraying under the hood but I didn't take anything apart either. It runs fine once I get it started. I think it's somehow losing pressure in the fuel line when it sits for a while and I have to wait for fuel to get back up to the engine for it to start. That's why it won't turn over right away. I was wondering if this was a common problem or if anyone can give my an idea of where I should look for the leak. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
I think your right about losing pressure; question is, where. Problem though, is that the fuel pump will replace that pressure very quickly so the truck should still start ok. I think u have an injector that is leaking down the pressure and flooding the engine. That would give u lots of smell and no sign of gas. Pulling the plugs should narrow down the bad injector.
Old 06-08-2007, 09:09 PM

2003 GMC Envoy SLE
How would I tell what injector was leaking? Do you mean the o-ring is bad or the actual injector could be faulty? The gas really is strong towards the back of the vehicle. Under the hood I couldn't smell it too much but when I am driving it and stop at a stop light, I can smell it through the Air Conditioning a little bit.
Old 06-09-2007, 12:12 AM

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LT EXT
Summit White 4.2L I6 4X4
Do you have an XL or SWB?

I think this was suppose to be EXT's/XL's only, but you might want to look into this if its coming from the back of your voy.

http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=22530

I guess its short wheel base models as well. In this case, I would have it checked out by a service tech and if it pertains to that recall investigation report it to the NHTSA at http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

That is of course if that turns out to be the problem. If it is recalled for those reasons, I believe you get reimbursed for the work to replace it as long as you report it.
Old 06-09-2007, 12:48 AM
TrailVoy Alumni

NA NA NA
NA Other AWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedsoul View Post
Do you have an XL or SWB?

I think this was suppose to be EXT's/XL's only, but you might want to look into this if its coming from the back of your voy.

http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=22530

I guess its short wheel base models as well. In this case, I would have it checked out by a service tech and if it pertains to that recall investigation report it to the NHTSA at http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

That is of course if that turns out to be the problem. If it is recalled for those reasons, I believe you get reimbursed for the work to replace it as long as you report it.
that investigation applies to all models of TBs and Envoys of 2002 and 2003.

to check if it is this, simply turn on the truck, and wait 2 or so minutes. if you see fuel dripping off the tank, this is your problem. based on what you said though, you havent seen any fuel dripping. could be the leak isnt all that bad yet. if you can, check the fuel pump at the top of the tank, if it looks corroded, you're another one with this problem. sounds to me like this is your issue, especially with the smell of gas at the back of the truck and issues starting (i had the same thing)
Old 06-09-2007, 01:49 PM
TrailVoy Guru

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Pewter Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
read your post and 1st thing I thouht about was the corroded fuel pump issues. You live in areasd that get salted?
Old 06-09-2007, 05:58 PM
TrailVoy Guru

2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ
Black 5.3L V8 4X4
Quote:
I think it's somehow losing pressure in the fuel line when it sits for a while and I have to wait for fuel to get back up to the engine for it to start.
You can test this, by turning on the key but not trying to start. Leave the key on for a min or 2 then try to start. If it starts right away, then ur right about the pressure and u should look for a leak. If it still starts slowly, try below.

Quote:
How would I tell what injector was leaking? Do you mean the o-ring is bad or the actual injector could be faulty? The gas really is strong towards the back of the vehicle. Under the hood I couldn't smell it too much but when I am driving it and stop at a stop light, I can smell it through the Air Conditioning a little bit.
I was thinking about an injector that did not close completely. They will stick open if they are dirty. Injector cleaner will/might clean them. Pulling the plugs would tell u, as a leaking injector may leave the plug wet.
Old 06-10-2007, 03:40 PM

2003 GMC Envoy SLE
Well, I let it sit in the driveway running for a good 10 minutes. No leaking fuel at all, but I could still smell the fuel smell. I think it is probably the corroded fuel pump but I don't want to drop the tank with 12 gallons in it. I may try to drop the tank next weekend when I have less gas in it. I will also try the turning on the ignition without starting it. That will turn on the fuel pump and should fill the line back up right? If it had a leaky injector, it wouldn't smell when it was running would it?
Old 06-10-2007, 03:47 PM

2003 GMC Envoy SLE
Yep, it started right up after I turned on the ignition for a minute before cranking it over, and it's been sitting for two days. So that tells me that it's not flooded, but there is a leak somewhere. I lived up in Wisconsin for 3 years when I first got the Envoy. Lots of rust on the bottem side. You should have seen the rotors before I replaced them. They were really rusty. Maybe the pump has a hole rusted through the top of it, but not on the line so it doesn't drip, it just loses pressure and stinks.
Old 06-10-2007, 04:05 PM
TrailVoy Guru

2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ
Black 5.3L V8 4X4
These trucks, as u know, use a pressurized fuel delivery system. Meaning, that the interior of the tank has a small amount of pressure. Things like a lose gas cap, and of course, a hole, will allow the internally pressure to fall. This will cause the computer to throw a code (P00440) and turn on the check engine light. I don't recall u saying that ur light has been coming on. If you have a lot of rust, follow the lines from the tank to engine, see if there is any wet on a line or the frame.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.