Front Wheel bearing hub assembly - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 General Tech Q&A > General

General If it doesn't fit in any other forum

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 07-05-2007, 10:07 PM
No longer with us

2WD
Question Front Wheel bearing hub assembly

I have just purchased some front wheel hubs off Ebay (240.00 for the pair, lifetime warranty)

Mine are now humming, I'm not sure which side but I figured I will replace them both, now (102,000 / 04 Envoy)

The dealer told me they cant just replace the bearing, but just install new hubs..?

It seems like a waste of metal to me but whatever.
can they be rebuilt?

Does anybody have a write up on how to do this and what special tools I may need?

I have replaced my brakes before and I am familiar with the trucks front end.

I have read on this forum that its not too terribly difficult,but the other posts weren't really clear on the actual procedure.

Do I need to undo the spindle looking thing in the center of the wheel?
or just the bolts holding it in on the back?

I know I have to remove the caliper,bracket and rotors. but not real sure about the rest.

any help and/or tips would be appreciated
Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2007, 06:21 AM

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Pewter Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
They are very easy to replace, just use a good hub asy, or you will be doing it again. We have tried to use the cheap hub asy at our shop and have had no luck. Use a Timkin or National hub. (that is what GM uses) Good quaility hub is the best you can do. You will also get a very good warenty if you use the "GM" hub asy. Good luck.
Old 07-06-2007, 10:58 AM
No longer with us

2004 GMC Envoy SLT "Roadiemobile"
Extreme Offroad Pewter 4.2L I6 4X4
I haven't done it, but am about to in a week or two. I think it's just a question of removing the upper ball joint so the steering knuckle can be tilted away from the truck, after removing the caliper and other junk in the way. Probably remove the sway bar end links, and shock/spring strut as well. Not sure if you need to pull the tie rod ends. The CV shaft is held in by a 35mm nut - definitely buy that socket. I've seen remanufactured CV shafts for sale, but never a hub/bearing assembly, so I think they just don't recycle those puppies.

You might also start using penetrating oil a few days before the job to help get stuff out after so many miles.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:09 AM
TrailVoy Alumni

NA NA NA
NA Other AWD
did it 2-3 weeks ago. fairly straightforward job. here's my thread about it:

http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=27404

basically:

1 - take wheel, caliper off.
2 - use something in between the disc vanes and mounting bracket to stop the disc/hub from rotating.
3 - remove the hub nut (35mm) from the shaft end.
4 - remove mounting bracket and disc.
5 - remove hub assembly. do not pull straight out on the hub assembly, you need to keep the axle shaft in place. you may need a puller if its stuck together good. mine came out out easy, it was the hub itself that was a pain (lots of buildup between it and the knuckle)
6 - grease up the splines on the axle shaft and insert into the new hub assembly.

do all the steps in reverse to re-mount everything.

OH - and dont forget the wheel-speed sensor. the new assembly i got came with one, so i just unplugged the old one on the body of the TB. easy wiring to follow to get all the clips.

EDIT: you only need to worry about the front axle info if you have a 4WD model.
Old 07-06-2007, 02:00 PM
No longer with us

2WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCOMEAU334 View Post
They are very easy to replace, just use a good hub asy, or you will be doing it again. We have tried to use the cheap hub asy at our shop and have had no luck. Use a Timkin or National hub. (that is what GM uses) Good quaility hub is the best you can do. You will also get a very good warenty if you use the "GM" hub asy. Good luck.

I'm not interested into starting a debate over the quality of my part.
its a bca btw

just the actual procedure , thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by the roadie View Post
I haven't done it, but am about to in a week or two. I think it's just a question of removing the upper ball joint so the steering knuckle can be tilted away from the truck, after removing the caliper and other junk in the way. Probably remove the sway bar end links, and shock/spring strut as well. Not sure if you need to pull the tie rod ends. The CV shaft is held in by a 35mm nut - definitely buy that socket. I've seen remanufactured CV shafts for sale, but never a hub/bearing assembly, so I think they just don't recycle those puppies.

You might also start using penetrating oil a few days before the job to help get stuff out after so many miles.
good god! all that for a wheel bearing?

I have a 2wd
hopefully I wont have to remove or loosen every suspension componant like your describing.
Old 07-06-2007, 02:23 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

NA NA NA
NA Other AWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by voy_er View Post

I have a 2wd
hopefully I wont have to remove or loosen every suspension componant like your describing.

for 2WD, it should only be this (I'm pretty sure there are no axles in the front to worry about. others can clarify this for sure):

2 - remove mounting bracket and disc.
3 - remove hub assembly.

do all the steps in reverse to re-mount everything.

and again, dont forget the wheel-speed sensor.
Old 07-06-2007, 02:24 PM
No longer with us

2WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostee View Post

2 - use something in between the disc vanes and mounting bracket to stop the disc/hub from rotating.

3 - remove the hub nut (35mm) from the shaft end.

4 - remove mounting bracket and disc.
5 - remove hub assembly. do not pull straight out on the hub assembly, you need to keep the axle shaft in place. you may need a puller if its stuck together good. mine came out out easy, it was the hub itself that was a pain (lots of buildup between it and the knuckle)
6 - grease up the splines on the axle shaft and insert into the new hub assembly. [/I]

where is this Nut?
my 2wd has splines in the center of the hub
I do not see a nut holding it on.
just some bolts in the back

Is it the spline I have to remove, I don't see a 35 mm nut anywhere

Do you guys have a pic of this on a 2wd vehicle

Thanks

haha

we must have posted at the same time

thanks for the clarification
Old 07-06-2007, 02:34 PM
No longer with us

2004 GMC Envoy SLT "Roadiemobile"
Extreme Offroad Pewter 4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
Not at all. I was wrong. Shhhh, don't tell everybody.

I was confusing what you have to do to change the 4WD CV shafts. For THAT you have to tilt down the steering knuckle, etc. I assume everybody has 4WD - I'm like that. PS - if you filled out your profile I wouldn't have made that goof.
Old 07-09-2007, 07:58 PM
No longer with us

2WD
So swapped my wheel hubs today

it was a piece of cake!

everything came off easily and went back together just fine
The hardest part was the wiring for the abs, those little clips were on their pretty good.

Now the Envoy rides smooth as glass again.

when I spin the old bearing they don't make any noise but I feel alot of resistance in them compared to the new ones.

I heard one user refer to their car sounding like a freight train when it had bad wheel bearings, I certainly agree with that

but now its smooth an quite again.

Total DIY project cost
$240.00

next project
Ball Joints
Old 07-09-2007, 09:48 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

2002 GMC Envoy SLT
Midnight Blue Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
So swapped my wheel hubs today

Now the Envoy rides smooth as glass again.

when I spin the old bearing they don't make any noise but I feel alot of resistance in them compared to the new ones.

next project
Ball Joints
I too replaced my wheel bearing/hub assembly with the BCA one on Ebay. I only replaced my pass. side (drivers side still fine at 100,600 miles). There is nothing wrong with the lifetime warranty BCA hubs at all. Well, except you save a TON of money buying the BCA's off ebay vs. paying $650 for the BCA's at Autozone or Murrays! (check it - its true)

Why do you think your ball joints are bad? We have almost the same mileage, I have an 02 'Voy and my ball joints are tight. My boots are even torn, but every time Im down there I shove some synthetic grease in there with a clean screwdriver

Heres my thread with a price comparison of the BCA's when I replaced my hub:
http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=23763
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.