Proper engine temp./. - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 Vortec 4.2L I-6 Engine and Drivetrain > Engine Tunes/Mods

Engine Tunes/Mods Performance Engine Tuning/Engine Modifications

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 07-29-2007, 10:09 PM

2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Dark Blue... 4.2L I6 4X4
Proper engine temp./.

My truck 4.2 runs rite at 210 all the time, what does everybody else think it should be at, i know that 210 is normal i wish it were cooler tho..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2007, 10:25 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Indigo Blue Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Thats pretty much where mine hangs out too. I guess from what I hear that these engines like it a little warmer then most. So if your looking to reduce the temp of your engine somehow, I wouldn't go to low might end up losing performance or worse. Maybe someone else could shine some more light on the subject.
Old 07-29-2007, 10:29 PM
Northwest Chapter

not here not here not here
not here Other AWD
Mine is anywhere from a hair cooler than 210 to 210F according to the dash. With EFILive hooked up the actual temp ranges between 203-207F (so the dash guage is decently accurate for the LL8). This is the temp this engine was designed to run, so all you old school V8 guys used to seeing them run at like 180-190 (and the V8s), DONT CHANGE THE THERMOSTAT IN THE LL8!! It will mess up mileage and the engine will not be as efficient. The I6 and Vx motors are designed to run at different temps.
Old 07-29-2007, 10:49 PM

2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Dark Blue... 4.2L I6 4X4
yea im new to this motor its the i6 i had a crapota (dakota) and that had a 180 stat
Old 07-29-2007, 11:42 PM

2003 GMC Envoy SLE
Indigo Blue Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
I run lower than 200. I would say 190 deg
Old 07-30-2007, 04:15 PM
No longer with us

2007 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Red Jewel Tintcoat 4.2L I6 4X4
My old 2003 ran around 205 to 210 until I put Mobil 1 in it. Then it dropped to 190 to 195. When pulling the boat it never went over 210 after putting Mobil 1 in it.
Old 06-23-2008, 06:00 AM
International Chapter

2004 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Just Silver ! 4.2L I6 4X4
Hey every one,
sorry to bring his out of the dead, but its always better than starting a new thread at least people might read ever thing and get a better picture... so mine WAS also running cool the past 4 years, but this time after my yearly 1400K trip, at the last 100 Kilometers and the temp gauge jumper over the half and started moving to the end FAST checked every thing, it was even serviced fr the 80K service befor i started the trip, coolant is full, fans r working, donno whats going on .when i made it to my destination, i parked the car for a hole day, and at NIGHT when i stared it jumped to half way right a way it NEVER did that ever.. but when i turn the a/c off it backs of a little to the half mark ...
heres a pic of where it ALWAYS was :

and where its ALWAYS at now

and bw, for the TECH xperts, how far can i go till its dangerous enough and the engine must be shut ? my old man always told me never to shut down an engine when its hot, but leave it cool it self down 1st, and thats what i always do...
need help you guys, i am 1400K a way from my dealer and n these areas most people dont knowjack about Chevys PLEASE help my car is in pain
Old 06-23-2008, 06:38 AM
TrailVoy Alumni

2006 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Superior Blue Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
The cool down thing was mainly to avoid vapor lock in carburated engines...& the manual says up to 235 is normal for these engines.

My 06 always runs 210 to slightly above...always has Normal

Those that used to run here, but have begun seeing the temp go higher all of a sudden, may be experiencing the start of a fan clutch failure. But if the temp is remaining under the 3/4 mark, the engine will run fine
Old 06-23-2008, 06:54 AM

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Medium Red Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
Running in Kuwait

It's pretty warm here in Kuwait now and getting up around 116 to 120 in the daytime. Last Saturday I had to go to one of the outlying caps up toward the Iraq border and my coolant temp was up in the 225 range running 80 Mph with AC on. I noticed before that it would take a while to get to operating temperature and I would get a wide fluxuation in temp. My check engine light would come on for a while then go off for a few days. I installed an Interceptor Scan Gauge and I got two codes, one for the thermostat and one for fan speed circuit. This weekend I changed the thermostat and used Dex Cool and now the temp gets up to operating range (204-207) fairly quickly and at 75 to 89 mph the temp stays at 207 - 210 range. Now as soon as the E-fan controller is ready form PCM4Less for my I6, I'll get rid of the old fan.
Old 06-23-2008, 08:23 AM
International Chapter

2004 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Just Silver ! 4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by PROSPHOTO View Post
The cool down thing was mainly to avoid vapor lock in carburated engines...& the manual says up to 235 is normal for these engines.
my 06 always runs 210 to slightly above...always has Normal
Those that used to run here, but have begun seeing the temp go higher all of a sudden, may be experiencing the start of a fan clutch failure. But if the temp is remaining under the 3/4 mark, the engine will run fine
no no fan clutch thank god ! no noises and fan working great !!thanks buddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhinckley View Post
It's pretty warm here in Kuwait now and getting up around 116 to 120 in the daytime. Last Saturday I had to go to one of the outlying caps up toward the Iraq border and my coolant temp was up in the 225 range running 80 Mph with AC on. I noticed before that it would take a while to get to operating temperature and I would get a wide fluxuation in temp. My check engine light would come on for a while then go off for a few days. I installed an Interceptor Scan Gauge and I got two codes, one for the thermostat and one for fan speed circuit. This weekend I changed the thermostat and used Dex Cool and now the temp gets up to operating range (204-207) fairly quickly and at 75 to 89 mph the temp stays at 207 - 210 range. Now as soon as the E-fan controller is ready form PCM4Less for my I6, I'll get rid of the old fan.
warm ? DUDE you can latterly fry an egg on the hood these days, ts freakin HOT !!
ok so its ok if the gauge goes up as long as the " check engine " light doesnt come on ? coud it be my thermos then ???

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.