100K tune Up sugestions - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 Vortec 4.2L I-6 Engine and Drivetrain

02-09 Vortec 4.2L I-6 Engine and Drivetrain Q&A forum for engine and drivetrain repairs/modifications/tuning.

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 08-09-2007, 03:05 PM

2008 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Summit White 4.2L I6 4X4
100K tune Up sugestions

My '02 LT i6 ihas almost 100K on it and feels like it needs a tune up. I have religously changed the oil every 3K. It feels very sluggish on take off for some reason and just feels like it does not have much tourque and I am only getting 17MPG. Only current mod is a drop in K&N.

I was basically going to start with plugs and maybe plug wires?

Any other suggestions for the 100K mark to get back that lost HP?
Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2007, 03:11 PM

2005 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Silverstone Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Sounds like cleaning the throttle body is a good idea. Your I-6 does not have plug wires
Old 08-09-2007, 03:23 PM
TrailVoy Guru

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Pewter Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
17MPG on highway or cmbined? thats good mileage if its in city....
at 100K, youre due for new spark plugs. Simply get the AC Delco Iridiums (they used to be Platinums).
dont even bother with aftermarket stuff like splitfire etc- users here report bad results with stuff other than OEM. AC DELCO is the way to go for plugs
also maybe your cat is getting plugged- thus the lack of power
Old 08-09-2007, 03:30 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

2002 GMC Envoy SLT
Summit White 4.2L I6 4X4
Just like rbarrios said, you most likely need plugs at this point. If that doesn't fix it, your CAT may be clogging up......VERY common on the '02 & '03 model years. They went to a larger capacity unit in '04 and added a small electric AIR pump at the same time.
Old 08-09-2007, 03:41 PM

Summit White 4.2L I6 4X4
Are the AC Delco plugs only available throug the dealer? Autozone carries a Denso irridium. Wonder if that is the same thing?
Old 08-09-2007, 03:49 PM

Summit White 4.2L I6 4X4
Never mind last post. Just verified with dealer. I am going to swing by and pick up the AC Delcos 2nite and I'll let you know if I notice a difference.

17MPG is combnined city/highway. I guess not too bad, but I've seen post of people getting 20+. never here, guess I am too heavy footed.

Thanks.
Old 08-09-2007, 04:55 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

2005 Chevy TrailBlazer LS EXT
Midnight Blue Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezzle View Post

17MPG is combnined city/highway. I guess not too bad, but I've seen post of people getting 20+. never here, guess I am too heavy footed.

Thanks.
I'd take most of those posts and claims with a grain of salt! Case in point, someone recently claimed to get over 34 MPG!

http://forums.trailvoy.com/showpost....6&postcount=27
Old 08-09-2007, 05:39 PM
TrailVoy Guru

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Pewter Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
since you have the 02- and the 18.6 or so tank- and youre getting about 17 MPG- you should be seing the halfway mark around 165 miles, and the low fuel light around 280.
Im currentlly getting about 300 miles on a tank- and refuel with 16.7 gallons.
I too am doing city/highway and getting about 18 MPG on consistant basis- everyweek. I have gas/mileage written down for my TB since I bought the SUV... So I know Im getting 18 MPG regularly.
The times Ive done long non stop trips (no luggage) and cruise with 60-65, Ive achived a best of about 24 MPG.....
like mentioned- there was a post of 34 MPG... but I find that very hard to believe- there must be a miscalculation somewhere.

When you change your plugs- do it with a COLD engine- like after its sat overnight.
Old 08-10-2007, 08:29 AM

Summit White 4.2L I6 4X4
Fuel Filter (100K maint at dealer)

At 34 MPG they must be pushing it.

thanks for the advise on the spark plugs. I'll did not get a chance to do them last night anyway, but I did pick up the plugs.

I was talking to the service dude at the local Chevy dealer. He recommended a Fuel Filter change too. Is that something that is easy?

They did offer a 100K tuneup package for $380.00. Not too bad really. I thought I would knock out what I can and then le tthem do the other stuff like tranny, differentals, brake fluid flush, coolant, and whatever else.
Old 08-10-2007, 08:46 AM
TrailVoy Alumni

2004 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Silverstone Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Power steering fluid flush.
Tranny filterand flush.
Differential front and rear fluid chane (every 40K)
Transfer case fluid change (every 40K)
Check the serpentine belt
Check coolant capacity.
Fuel filter.
That will keep you busy most of Saturday.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.