04 Will NOT Start - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 General Tech Q&A > General

General If it doesn't fit in any other forum

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 10-23-2007, 12:26 AM

2004 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Dark Green Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
04 Will NOT Start

Hi all, I am new to the site and have a specific Problem. When I put the key into the ignition and turn the key my gauges and all go Hay wire. Turn the key and nothing !

I can not even put it in gear, with the key in the normal position. I step on the brake and the button on the shifter will not go in.

I checked the battery there is 13.2 volts and all the lights, radio etc.. work. I tried boosting it and it was getting 13.8 volts for about 20 minutes. SAME Thing as before, gauges that go haywire.

Is this a potential common problem ?
Is this a possible ignition problem ?

Any suggestions on where to look would be appreciated.

Thanks

BRad
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2007, 02:10 AM
Southeast Chapter

2004 Buick Rainier
Cashmere Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
sounds like the ignition switch. i had the same problem with the same symptoms on a 97 blazer; turn the key and light light up but no crank and can't put it into drive, nothing except dash lights and my problem was the ignition switch.
Old 10-23-2007, 06:13 AM

2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Black 4.2L I6 4X4
just for the asking did you pull your positive post off and inspect ? sometimes those darn things snap ! and look as though they are fine. other than that with also thinking the ignition switch for sure as they are a very common problem with the trailblazers. good luck
Old 10-23-2007, 06:38 PM

2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT EXT
Carbon Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
Ignition Switch

Hey guys. I have read enough to suspect my ignition switch. Is this a DIY project? If so, is it a major skill project? How about the required PN for 2002 TB EXT.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:28 PM

Thanks for the answers, I did look at the battery posts as I too have heard of that problem.

I actually switched the battery with my Malibou, this did not fix the problem. Same problem and symtoms.

Brad
Old 10-23-2007, 09:38 PM

2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Black 4.2L I6 4X4
How mechanical are you? I did my switch myself, with a little helpful advice from a GM tech. Advice that I now pass on to you, grasshopper. ...

First things first....is the key stuck in the ignition? If so, directly underneath the key cylinder, in the bottom half of the steering collumn cover, you'll notice a small plastic cover with a slot in it. Remove this cover carefully with a screwdriver or pocketknife and set it somewhere you won't lose it. Inside the hole you've just uncovered is a metal button that when pushed with a pen or small screwdriver will release the key from the cylinder.

Now remove the screws that hold the upper and lower halves of the steering collumn cover together. The cover is also held together with some plastic slots and clips that are molded into the covers themselves, so be careful not to break these off. With the cover removed, you can see the screws that hold the switch to the cylinder. I believe these are torx head screws, but not theft-proof.

Now, the trick is making sure the new switch is in the same position as the old on when you replace them. There is an internal gear in the switch that is slightly exposed and meshes with a gear in the ignition cylinder. If the new switch is in a different position then the switch you took out, this makes for many headaches and much cursing of Gm and electricity in general. According to the GM tech I talked to, the switches are supposed to ship in the "off" position. So, theoretically, an unopened switch from the dealer should be in the "off" position. Making sure you'r key is in the off positon on the switch before removing the old switch should ensure that you don't have any problems being out of position.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:19 PM

Silverstone Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
I'm not trying to break balls or anything, but should you,as a precaution, disconnect the negative battery terminal first-before starting this type of DIY project?
Old 10-24-2007, 08:29 PM

2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Black 4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBlazeruss44 View Post
I'm not trying to break balls or anything, but should you,as a precaution, disconnect the negative battery terminal first-before starting this type of DIY project?

Absolutely right....sorry I left that out. Basically, you should disconnect your neg cable before attempting ANY electrical repair on these vehicles....

Remind me to tell you all the story about me shorting out my XM and disabling my TB for a few days sometime....
Old 10-24-2007, 09:08 PM

2004 GMC Envoy SLT
Midnight Black 5.3L V8 AWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmedt View Post
sounds like the ignition switch. i had the same problem with the same symptoms on a 97 blazer; turn the key and light light up but no crank and can't put it into drive, nothing except dash lights and my problem was the ignition switch.
I agree
Old 10-24-2007, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBlazeruss44 View Post
Good point, When you get all excited to jump in there you forget these simple things

Thanks

Brad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.