U-joints Clunking - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 Vortec 5.3L V8 Engine and Drivetrain > OEM Issues

OEM Issues Original Equipment Repairs and/or Problems

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 10-24-2007, 10:15 AM
TrailVoy Guru

2006 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Zaino Shined Red Jewel 5.3L V8 4X4
U-joints Clunking

Anyone had to have the U-joints replaced? My TB has 14,128 miles on it and the U-joints have been clunking for some time but I've noticed they are really getting bad.

I only notice it when I'm driving slow with not much load on them (like leaving my driveway and heading easy down the street). The biggest clunk seems to be when the tranny goes from 2nd to 3rd.

I've heard this on full size trucks before but not TB's. Just wondered if anyone else has?

Old 10-24-2007, 10:28 AM

2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Black 4.2L I6 4X4
I've got almost 125k om my TB and never had a problem. Nor did I ever see a TB come in for u-joints when I worked at the dealership. I guess it's possible though. Are you sure it's u-joints? Have you inspected them?
Old 10-24-2007, 10:33 AM
TrailVoy Guru

I haven't gotten under the truck and looked at them. The sound is just like U-joints. It's a loud clunk and it sounds like it comes from the rear. It doesn't do it under acceleration load, only when under very light load when the tranny upshifts.

What's the best way to check them? Grab the driveshaft and try to turn it back and fourth?
Old 10-24-2007, 10:45 AM

Black 4.2L I6 4X4
YEP....get under there with a flashlight and twist and turmn the driveshaft looking for slack at the u-joint. You'r rear-end might clunk a little while doing this, but focus on the joints. There shouldn't be any give at the joint, nor should there be fluid or grease around the joint. If you're jacking the truck up to do this, be sure you have plenty of medical and life insurance.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:48 AM
TrailVoy Alumni

Superior Blue Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
I hear this too, but haven't inspected it yet...maybee it's an '06 issue

I doubt you'll be able to check/feel the U-joints by hand...The best way to check it is to get under the truck and watch the driveshaft while someone else is inside shifting (w/the parking brake on) from D to R

If you can't tell visually, but hear the "clunk" while checking, try to isolate the location that the clunk is coming from (driveshaft, T-case, Tranny, rear)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2007, 11:04 AM

Black 4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by PROSPHOTO View Post
I hear this too, but haven't inspected it yet...maybee it's an '06 issue

I doubt you'll be able to check/feel the U-joints by hand...The best way to check it is to get under the truck and watch the driveshaft while someone else is inside shifting (w/the parking brake on) from D to R

If you can't tell visually, but hear the "clunk" while checking, try to isolate the location that the clunk is coming from (driveshaft, T-case, Tranny, rear)

Again, perform this procedure with plenty of insurance.....or make your friend get under the truck and you shift....hahaha
Old 10-24-2007, 11:13 AM
TrailVoy Guru

What if I put the rear end on jack stands and then put the truck in gear, run it up to 100 and set the cruise? Then reach inside, turn the switch to 4 Hi and then stand back.
Old 10-24-2007, 11:16 AM

Black 4.2L I6 4X4
That sounds like an excellent plan. My charge for rebuilding garage walls is quite cheap.

Seriously though, everyone PLEASE be careful when jacking up your vehicles and working on them! The tire changing jack under your seat is NOT sufficient for these operations. Spend the 40 bucks and get a decent floor jack, some jack stands, and some wheel scotches.
Old 10-24-2007, 11:20 AM
TrailVoy Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by superman_79065 View Post
Seriously though, everyone PLEASE be careful when jacking up your vehicles and working on them! The tire changing jack under your seat is NOT sufficient for these operations. Spend the 40 bucks and get a decent floor jack, some jack stands, and some wheel scotches.

My neighbors think I'm crazy.
Old 10-24-2007, 11:22 AM

Black 4.2L I6 4X4
one man's crazy is another man's OCD

is this how you commonly wash your undercarriage? is this like a weekly ritual? Because if so, you ARE crazy.....hahaha
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.