4200 engine swaps + hot rod parts - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 Vortec 4.2L I-6 Engine and Drivetrain > Engine Tunes/Mods

Engine Tunes/Mods Performance Engine Tuning/Engine Modifications

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-10-2007, 01:50 AM

1951 GMC 3100 PU Truck
hot rod black turbo'ed 4.2L I6 2WD
4200 engine swaps + hot rod parts

The 4200 enigne has a lot of potential for engine swaps and some folks like myself are starting to do them.

Well I don't have a trailblazer but I do have a 4200 in a '51 GMC running NO GM electronics ( megasquirt and FORD EDIS wasted spark). This winter its getting a GT42 turbo along with a stout bottom end (pistons, rods, darton sleves) and custom cam shafts. <<< doing the design for the CNC cam blanks this weekend.

Once we have the cam blanks ($500) then we'll send them to a cam grinder to get them ground into cams (another $700). The prototype turbo manifold is getting done at www.steedspeed.com. The CNC intake flange is enroute to start the build.

pix of the swap are here http://profile.imageshack.us/user/efi_diy/

Stay tuned parts are in the pipe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2007, 01:53 AM
TrailVoy Alumni

2006 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Singularity Silver 4.2L I6 2WD
Its good to see someone likes our motor. I'm looking forward to the finished product already.
Old 11-10-2007, 02:11 AM

1951 GMC 3100 PU Truck
Parts needed

What I'm having a hard time to find is a 2006 head.. anyone have any sources without buying a complete engine?
Old 11-10-2007, 10:27 AM

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Summit White 4.2L I6 2WD
http://car-part.com/ ....click on link enter zip or state or area of USA, this might help
Old 11-10-2007, 02:55 PM

2004 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Indigo Blue Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
I see heads and blocks on ebay all the time.

Im interested in this, before i even bought the TB i was thinking of boosting it, mainly a SC. But the more i look at it a turbo might be pretty good. Looking good so far

Ive been looking for an engine for my s-10 blazer and this will put out pretty close to a carb SBC. Not the mention the 4200 is lighter than a 350, and it would mate to my 700r4 with no problems. I want to see some more info on your fuel and ignition setup as i dont want to run the electronics.n
Old 11-11-2007, 12:51 PM

1951 GMC 3100 PU Truck
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazinlow89 View Post
. I want to see some more info on your fuel and ignition setup as i dont want to run the electronics.n

Well the 4200 does not have a dist. so you will need to run electronics for spark control. You could build a custom intake and run carbs - but why? It a lot less work to hookup a megasquirt than fabricate an intake. But thats just my take on things. If you do decide to go with a megasquirt I can send you the calibration file so the tuning will be real close.
Old 12-01-2007, 04:19 PM

1951 GMC 3100 PU Truck
Cam cores

Well the cam cores are designed and ready to goto the machine shop. We're getting them cut from 8620 round bar. GM does not sell cam cores for this engine and the aftermarket doesn't have them either - so the only way to get non-stock cams for this engine is to design and machine cam cores then send them to a cam grinder.

exhaust core
http://img213.imageshack.us/my.php?i...camcoreld0.jpg

intake core

http://img215.imageshack.us/my.php?i...camcoreix0.jpg

The next step is to settle on a cam grinder, currently Comp Cams will do the job.
Old 12-03-2007, 04:35 AM
Northwest Chapter

not here not here not here
not here Other AWD
MEGASQUIRT huh?? Buddy of mine has been running that in his VW Scirocco and Rabbit for a year or so now. Swears by it, and hes NA.

Glad to see someone who uses this engine in a hot rod is actually posting up here for us! Good luck with the build, and if you have questions about the engine feel free to ask anyone (or me)!

What have you done with the exhaust cam VVT, nothing or have you swapped the cam already?
Old 12-04-2007, 12:58 AM

1951 GMC 3100 PU Truck
Trav4011 ??????????????

Any idea where I can get hold of this guy? I'd like to talk to him
Old 12-04-2007, 01:00 AM

1951 GMC 3100 PU Truck
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarabEpic22 View Post
MEGASQUIRT huh?? Buddy of mine has been running that in his VW Scirocco and Rabbit for a year or so now. Swears by it, and hes NA.

Glad to see someone who uses this engine in a hot rod is actually posting up here for us! Good luck with the build, and if you have questions about the engine feel free to ask anyone (or me)!

What have you done with the exhaust cam VVT, nothing or have you swapped the cam already?
The VVT is disconnected for now. I need to get some s/w written to do the control and read the position sensor then I'll try and control it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.