Mode door Actuator (self installed) - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 General Tech Q&A > General

General If it doesn't fit in any other forum

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-21-2007, 08:52 PM

2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Sandstone Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
Mode door Actuator (self installed)

Most of the post I read have been done @ the dealer. I will get the part on Friday and I plan to put it in myself. Can anyone or has anyone done this themself if so can anyone give me a heads up or some do's and don'ts. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2007, 05:54 AM
Western Canada Chapter

2003 TrailBlazer and '09 Kadillak Eskalade __
sExY Dark Gray Metalic 4.2L I6 4X4
This thread may give some insight into the replacement.

http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthrea...oor+actuato r

I thought I had a pic archived somewhere but I archived it so well I can't find it

Anyone else got it? Tblazed? Provy?

Let's get a Meet going!
Old 11-22-2007, 07:40 AM
TrailVoy Alumni

2007 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Bordeaux Red Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Here's some bulletins from GM

Subject: 02 Chevrolet, GMC and Oldsmobile Mid-Sized Utilities Additional Service Procedures for Mode Actuator Installation - kw HVAC AC door CJ2 CJ3 B0263 B3770 cam DTC GMT360 GMT370 #PIT3210 - (10/12/2004)

Models:
The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom described in the PI.

Condition/Concern:
When servicing the 2002 mid-sized utility HVAC actuators, there are two style mode actuators available. The first design has a large cam installed to the actuator. The second design has a small arm attached to the actuator. These two actuators are not interchangeable and are specific to the first and second design HVAC case. The mode actuator determines what HVAC case the vehicle is equipped with. To obtain the correct actuator for the HVAC case with the large cam, it may be referred in the parts catalog as a cam, not an actuator. SI Doc 730070 has an illustration showing the actuator with the cam. The steps below will help assist with the installation of the actuator w/cam.

Recommendation/Instructions:

Place the HVAC in bi-level mode. (If this mode cannot be achieved, the door will need to be placed in this position prior to installing the actuator in step 5).
Unplug the actuator and remove the screws that retain the actuator to the cam from the HVAC case.
Using special tool GE-47676, remove the actuator from the cam that is mounted to the HVAC case (leaving the existing cam on the HVAC case. If the cam needs to be replaced, it can be removed once the actuator is removed from the case. Loosen the screws that retain the cam to the case. Remove the cam from the case. The new cam can be installed after step 4).
Prior to installing the new service part, remove the screws that retain the actuator to the cam. Then using special tool GE47676, remove the cam from the actuator.
Install the service part actuator to the cam that is mounted to the HVAC case. Plug in the connector for the actuator.
Install the Tech 2, perform HVAC actuator re-calibration once the actuator has been installed
Note: If the cam that is on the HVAC case is the source of the concern, it should also be replaced.

Please follow this diagnosis process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed. If these steps do not resolve the condition, please contact GM TAC for further diagnostic assistance.

Models:
(02 Trailblazer and Trailblazer EXT) and (02 GMC Envoy and Envoy XL) and (02 Oldsmobile Bravada)
Old 11-22-2007, 07:47 AM
TrailVoy Alumni

Subject: Info - Essential Tool for HVAC Mode Door Actuator Replacement #05-01-38-001A - (04/08/2005)

Models: 2002 Chevrolet TrailBlazer Models

2002 GMC Envoy Models

2002 Oldsmobile Bravada

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This bulletin is being revised to update the references to the service procedures in SI and add warranty and parts information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 05-01-38-001 (Section 01 -- HVAC).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The purpose of this service bulletin is to announce the release of a new essential tool to service the Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning (HVAC) Mode Door Actuator. The new tool is an HVAC Puller, special tool number GE-47676, which was shipped in the Fall of 2004 to all Chevrolet and GMC dealers. It will no longer be necessary to replace the entire Mode Door Cam Assembly when only the Mode Door Actuator requires replacement. Previous to the release of this tool, it was necessary to remove the entire Instrument Panel Carrier to replace the Mode Door Cam Assembly. Now the Mode Door Actuator can be serviced from underneath the left side of the Instrument Panel Carrier using this new special tool.

The service procedures in SI have been updated to include the use of this new special tool. To replace the entire Mode Door Cam Assembly refer to the Mode Cam Replacement procedure in SI for more information (Document ID #1618104). To replace just the Mode Door Actuator, refer to the Mode Actuator Replacement procedure in SI for more information (Document ID #1609154). The labor time associated with labor operation D1808 has been changed to reflect the time savings when this new special tool is used. Labor operation D1829 has been added to the labor time guide to be used if the entire Mode Door Cam Assembly is replaced.

Parts Information
Use This Part Number
Do Not Use This Part Number

Actuator ASM, Mode Valve

Cam ASM, Mode Valve

Parts are currently available from GMSPO.

Warranty Information
For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:

Use This Labor Operation
Do Not Use This Labor Operation

D1808*

Actuator And/Or Motor, Electric-Mode Valve-Replace

0.6 hr
D1829

Cam And/Or Cam Actuator Lever, Mode Control-Replace

3.2 hr

*This time is updated from the current Labor Time Guide. The next update of the Labor Time Guide will contain this change.
Old 11-22-2007, 07:49 AM
TrailVoy Alumni

Subject: Blower Speed Changes On Its Own / Manual CJ3 HVAC System - keywords HVAC manual ac door mode recirculation CJ3 #PIT3152A - (12/01/2006)

Models: 2004-2007 Buick Rainier

2002-2007 Chevrolet Trailblazer and Trailblazer EXT

2002-2007 GMC Envoy, Envoy XL and Envoy XUV

2002-2004 Oldsmobile Bravada

2005-2007 Saab 97x

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
Blower motor fan speed may change on its own

The CJ3 HVAC system has the ability to open and close the fresh air door at anytime. The purpose of this is to control evaporator temperatures and prevent evaporator freeze. When the fresh air door open/close, this will change air flow rate in the HVAC case. The blower motor will change pitch and may sound as if it has increased or decrease blower speed. This is a normal condition and no repairs should be performed.

Further, the CJ2 HVAC When placed in manual mode, the recirculation will only work on the Bi-Level settings and will time out approximately after 10 minutes of use or if the ignition is cycled off during this 10 minutes. On ignition cycle, it will be necessary to press the recirculation button again if this feature is desired. Again, it will operate for approximately 10 minutes.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.
Old 11-22-2007, 07:50 AM
TrailVoy Alumni

Subject: CJ2 HVAC Recirculation Door Operation In Manual Mode - keywords HVAC manual ac door mode recirculation CJ2 #PIT4204 - (12/01/2006)

Models: 2004-2007 Buick Rainier

2002-2007 Chevrolet Trailblazer and Trailblazer EXT

2002-2007 GMC Envoy, Envoy XL and Envoy XUV

2002-2004 Oldsmobile Bravada

2005-2007 Saab 97x

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
While operating the CJ2 Automatic HVAC in manual mode, bi-level or vent, some customers may comment that the recirculation mode will not stay ON for longer than 10 minutes and/or default to the OFF position after the ignition is cycled from On to Off and back On again.

This is the normal operation of the CJ2 automatic HVAC system and no parts should be replaced.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.
Old 11-22-2007, 07:52 AM
TrailVoy Alumni

Subject: Repeat HVAC Actuator Replacements - keywords door cool heat mode temperature #PIT4427 - (06/15/2007)

Models: 2003-2007 HUMMER H2, SUT

1999-2007 Chevrolet Silverado Classic

1999 -2007 GMC Serria Classic

2002-2006 Cadillac Escalade, ESV, EXT

2000-2006 Chevrolet Avalanche, Suburban, Tahoe

2000-2006 GMC Yukon, Yukon Denali, Yukon XL, Yukon Denali XL

2002-2007 Chevrolet Trailblazer Models

2002-2007 GMC Envoy Models

2004-2007 Buick Rainier

2005-2007 Saab 9-7X

1998-2004 Chevrolet S/T Classic Blazer and S10 Pickup

1998-2004 GMC S/T Classic Jimmy and Sonoma

1998-2007 Oldsmobile Bravada

2003-2006 Chevrolet SSR

This PI Being Updated To Add Additional Model Years. Please Discard PI02080.

Condition/Concern:
A replacement HVAC actuators is inoperative or that has worked one time and quit. The HVAC control head learns the stopping points based on how far the HVAC DOOR travels. If the actuator reachs the mechanical stops on the back of the actuator it will be outside of the range that the HVAC control head can learn. If the actuator was not mounted to the HVAC case prior to plugging in its connector, the actuator will go out of range and be inoperative.

Always attach the HVAC actuator to the case before installing the electrical connector.

If an actuator is out of range it may be possible to bring it back into range by following the procedure below:

Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
Connect a 3 amp fused jumper wire between the actuator control circuit and the 5 volt reference circuit of the actuator connector.
Remove the jumper wire and actuator connector when the actuator is at the center position.
If the actuator doesn't move in step 2. Try installing the jumper wire from control circuit and the ground circuit of the actuator.
With the actuator in the center position, install the actuator to the hvac case and secure the mounting screws and then connect the actuator connector.
Old 11-22-2007, 09:07 AM

Anyone have a pic of the tool? The reason I ask is that it might be possible to duplicate one or something simimular. As for the CJ3 & CJ2 HVAC systems what is it that defines these is it the manual & Auto climate controls. Also THANKS 07 TB & Blazer nut for your replies.
Old 11-22-2007, 10:01 AM
TrailVoy Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inheritedo2 View Post
Anyone have a pic of the tool? The reason I ask is that it might be possible to duplicate one or something simimular. As for the CJ3 & CJ2 HVAC systems what is it that defines these is it the manual & Auto climate controls. Also THANKS 07 TB & Blazer nut for your replies.
Look on your SPID label in the glove box for those codes. The tool looks like a small gear puller. I can acces the picture in the shop manual, but can't copy/paste it. The replacement procedure is different between a manual or automatic hvac system.
Old 11-22-2007, 11:15 AM

Ok on the codes. Sounds like I can make a puller out of a peice of flat stock? since you can't et the picture to uplaod can you tell me if I am on the right track Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.