Blown Head Gasket - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 Vortec 4.2L I-6 Engine and Drivetrain > OEM Issues

OEM Issues Original Equipment Repairs and/or Problems

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-08-2008, 02:59 PM

2002 GMC Envoy SLT
Indigo Blue Metallic 4.2L I6 AWD
Blown Head Gasket

So my SES light had been coming on around Nov/December(ish) for the last 3 years, giving me the same code using the Advance Auto tech tool, P0128. First year, I added the Dex-Cool and the light went away. 2nd year, I had the thermostat replaced and Dex-Cool added (I researched the forums and I felt the T-Stat was the problem at the time). Two weeks ago, I just took it into my dealer and had them run the diagnostics. He first removed my oil cap and saw it had a milky look to it, he showed me and said it could be a blown head gasket (which didn't sound good) but said he will do a pressure check and diagnostics and let me know for sure. He called a couple hours later and said the head gasket had a slow leak and he will tighten the bolts, replace the water pump, drive belt, and the valve cover gasket. That was $800.

I get my Envoy back the next day and drive it for a couple days and my SES light comes back on. I checked my oil cap and I see the milky look again and call up the mechanic. I dropped off the Envoy and he does another pressure check and calls me with a low tone and I knew from that that I was in for bad news. I need a head gasket. It's going to cost me about $1500.

I'm just a little baffled after reading this forum because it seems most of the time it was the fan clutch that went bad but he said that was fine. Am I the only one that has had to get a Head Gasket replaced? LOL. I'm laughing outwardly but I'm crying in the inside

It's a costly repair but I sure can't wait to get my Envoy back. He gave me one of his cars (Isuzu Rodeo) to drive in the meantime, but it's not the same as being in my own car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2008, 03:18 PM
TrailVoy Guru

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Pewter Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
this is the 2nd case I hear of a head gasket problem.
the 1st was a post yesterday by a woman- in her case- its been replaced 2 or 3 times.
Old 01-08-2008, 03:22 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

2006 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Superior Blue Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Sounds like your mechanic owes you $800 towart the head gasket job

Tighten the head bolts
Old 01-08-2008, 03:27 PM
TrailVoy Guru

2003 Chevrolet TrailBlazer LT
Scratchy Black 4.2L I6 4X4

Haven't heard that one before....
Old 01-08-2008, 03:32 PM

2002 GMC Envoy SLT
You haven't heard what before?

I think I will have him reduce the cost once it's ready although he did say he knocked off $300+, which put me at $1471 ($1500).
Old 01-08-2008, 03:33 PM

2002 GMC Envoy SLT
Quote:
Originally Posted by PROSPHOTO View Post
Sounds like your mechanic owes you $800 towart the head gasket job

Tighten the head bolts

He tightened the bolts the first time, it was still leaking.
Old 01-08-2008, 03:33 PM

2007 Chevy TrailBlazer SS (3SS)
Summit White 6.0L LS2 V8 4X4
Did you have any overheating problems? The fact that he did the first $800 work is BS...if it was leaking anway, he should have just changed it the first time and been done with it. If he was going to just "tighten" the bolts, I don't see why he did all the other work. He's basically charging you twice to do a lot of the same labor. I could see doing all that if you were going to change the gasket because your taking everything apart anyway. IMO, you got fleeced...see if he'll apply any of the original $800 to your $1500 bill.

It's got nothing to do with the fan clutch unless maybe you had overheating issues which led to the headgasket blowing.

Make sure he's going to check and make sure your cylinder head and block are not warped (might have caused the gasket to leak).
Old 01-08-2008, 03:44 PM
TrailVoy Guru

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Pewter Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
i regularly check my coolant overflow bottle to see that the level hasnt dropped any. and never has since the 1st time I refilled to bring it up the the cold mark.
Old 01-08-2008, 03:46 PM

2002 GMC Envoy SLT
Thanks for the informational post, Power. I don't know if his $300+ discount is part of paying back some of the $800 but I'll definitely make sure I'm not being "fleeced". I think he was hoping he didn't have to replace the head gasket, and that tightening the bolts would resolve the leak, thus saving me some money.

It wasn't overheating, I was just reading the forum and most posts regarding the P0128 code was either the T-Stat or fan clutch problems. I'm not mechanically inclined, but I did notice that my temp was between 100 and 210, when it's normally on 210. I just didn't know if that was normal for this time of year (winter).

I'll check with him to make sure cylinder head and block aren't warped also.

He's been our family mechanic for a few years and have no problems letting him know if he's asking too much for his repair.

Anyone know what it would cost to replace the head gasket, I'd like to have a price to compare what I'm paying to.
Old 01-08-2008, 04:46 PM

2007 Chevy TrailBlazer SS (3SS)
Summit White 6.0L LS2 V8 4X4
From what I've seen with that code, it happens when the engine doesn't reach normal temp (like when the T-stat is stuck open or the fan clutch isn't working right). A blown head gasket usually happens when you have an overheating problem. Maybe the code is coming on because your temp sensor is off and your really running too hot??? (I dunno, just guessing).

I have no problem with him trying to save you some $$ by tightening the bolts, but IMO...knowing that you may need a new gasket anyway, why would he replace the H20 pump & timing chain...why wouldn't he just re-torque the bolts. When he replaces the head gasket, he's going to have to take them off again, thus basically your paying him to do the same thing twice.

How many miles does it have on it? How was it running? Does it blow any white smoke?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.