Gas mileage getting worse everyday - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 Vortec 4.2L I-6 Engine and Drivetrain > OEM Issues

OEM Issues Original Equipment Repairs and/or Problems

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-10-2008, 10:00 PM

2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
goldish 4.2L I6 4X4
Exclamation Gas mileage getting worse everyday

Hey all my 02 Trailblazer ls 72000 miles was gettin at its best since ive had the truck 12mpg city and 17 highway for about 4 months. since about 5000 miles ago i noticed that i would get 240 a city tank to now 130 a city tank and 280 highway before and 190 highway now. it seems to be gettin worse with every fill up. ive changed the air filter, fuel filter, tranny service, transfer case, both differentials, and spark plugs prior to the decrease in mpg..but id say 7000-10000 miles ago. what do you guys think could be happening?

Thanks in advanced Brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2008, 06:05 AM
Western Canada Chapter

2003 TrailBlazer and '09 Kadillak Eskalade __
sExY Dark Gray Metalic 4.2L I6 4X4
Hi Brian and welcome to the forum.

This type of mileage has been experienced by some guys. Some have changed out all kinda of parts and it seems to make little difference.

Some common things are a plugged catalytic converter, outdated PCM programming or the fan clutch... but you did not mention any codes being set or a check engine light?

The thermostat can be a stinker too. If it sticks open you will get less fuel economy and you may notice that your temp gauge is well under the 210 mark?

Let's get a Meet going!
Old 01-11-2008, 12:10 PM

2004 Buick Rainier
Medium Red Metallic 5.3L V8 AWD
Check the air pressure in your tires. If you live in a cold-climate area, your tires will lose 1 PSI of inflation pressure for every 10-degree drop in ambient temperature. For example, if your tires were inflated to 30 PSI when the ambient temperature was 70 degrees, your tires would show only 23 PSI when ambient temp drops to zero degrees.

Low tire pressure increases rolling resistance. Plus, cold weather causes the rubber and other materials in tires to stiffen, causing more rolling resistance. The combination of low inflation pressure and stiffer tires during winter months contributes to high rolling resistance and decreased fuel economy.

I usually over-inflate my tires by four or five PSI during our cold New England winters.
Old 01-11-2008, 12:17 PM
TrailVoy Guru

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Pewter Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
blazernut is right on....
the CAT may be just the problem...
do you notice the engine sort of bog down at higher highway speeds?
since youre at 72K... the cat being replaced FREE is good... the cat is good for 80,000 miles.
Old 01-11-2008, 03:05 PM

goldish 4.2L I6 4X4
hey guys thanks for your input...no i dont have n e codes being thrown and my tires are at 36psi i just checked them. I havent driven on the highway in a while but when i did I dont remeber any bogging, tho most of the time i had it on cruise control. If it is the CAT how would I determine it? Do i take it out and bring it to the dealer or something? how would I go about doing this.

Brian
Old 01-11-2008, 04:20 PM

2004 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
red 4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazernut View Post
The thermostat can be a stinker too. If it sticks open you will get less fuel economy and you may notice that your temp gauge is well under the 210 mark?

I had this happen on an S10 Blazer. It wouldn't get up to temp, so it stayed in that rich-running, choked, warm-up mode. Easy fix. I'm told they are designed to fail while open, which is a good idea. I imagine the fan clutch would result in the same thing if it were stuck on. Check your temp guage for sure.
Old 01-11-2008, 05:41 PM

2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Black 4.2L I6 4X4
Some other factors to consider.....

1. Many areas of the country change to a winter fuel mixture in the early fall, and this could be causing your mpg loss.

2. You didn't post what area of the country you live in, but the colder the air gets, the denser it is. Hence, it requires a little more HP to "push" your TB through it.

3. Maybe God just hates you, and likes to see you spending more money on fuel.
Old 01-11-2008, 05:42 PM

goldish 4.2L I6 4X4
the temp is at 210 all the time and gets up to temp quickly. also for a little bit I have been hearing a squealing at startup like a pullys going .. its not that loud but you def notice it. could this be the fan clutch?
Old 01-11-2008, 09:57 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LTZ
Red Jewel Tintcoat 4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinhead989 View Post
the temp is at 210 all the time and gets up to temp quickly. also for a little bit I have been hearing a squealing at startup like a pullys going .. its not that loud but you def notice it. could this be the fan clutch?
Could be...that would account for the decrease in mileage. Mine went, but I did get a "check engine soon" light not long after it went bad.
Old 01-14-2008, 08:48 AM

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LT EXT
Dark Green Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by superman_79065 View Post
2. You didn't post what area of the country you live in, but the colder the air gets, the denser it is. Hence, it requires a little more HP to "push" your TB through it.
Brian didn't say where he lives, but I had the same thought. When the average daily high is below 30, my mileage drops to 12-13 in mixed freeway city driving. Last week the temps here went up to the upper 30s, low 40s. One day we hit 60. My mileage imediately went back to the usuall 16-17.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.