"Check Engine Light" Code PO506 - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 Appearance > Interior

Interior Interior

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-15-2008, 09:42 PM

2005 GMC Envoy SLT
Liquid Silver Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
"Check Engine Light" Code PO506

Hoping someone can help me. I'm new to this forum and am having a problem with my 2005 GMC Envoy (42,000 miles). About two weeks ago, my check engine light came on and has stayed on most of the time since then. Anyway, I took it to Autozone and they ran a diagnostic test. They came up with code PO506. According to the printout this means low engine speed and probable causes could be:

1. Vacuum leak on engine.
2. Dirty throttle body.
3. IAC motor defective
4. Poor electrical connection to the IAC valve.

Can anyone give me on any guidance on what to do/look for? I took a quick look and didn't see any exposed vacuum hoses. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2008, 10:00 PM
TrailVoy Guru

2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ
Black 5.3L V8 4X4
You may be the first to report code 506. But a lot of us, myself included, have had idle, or coming off idle, problems. The consensus, I am sure, will be a dirty throttle body. We have a very good article (Articles menu button) on cleaning the tb. I'd dig it out for ya, but I found most of the articles very interesting when I joined. Go in and take a look, there are maintenance topics and some nice mods. Very good reading.
Old 02-16-2008, 12:15 PM

2004 Chevy TrailBlazer LT EXT
Medium Red Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Subject: SES Light Due To DTCs P0105 P0106 And/Or P0506 - Clean Throttle Body -

4.2L (VIN S - RPO LL8)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
On rare occasions, a SES light may be experienced due to DTCs P0105, P0106, and/or P0506. There may or may not be an idle complaint accompanying the SES light. This may be due to excessive carbon build up in the throttle body.
Old 02-16-2008, 02:21 PM

2005 GMC Envoy SLT
I took the throttle body of as described in the article, cleaned it with carb cleaner and reinstalled. The light was off when I started it (I am assuming because I disconnected it) and came back in by the time I had backed out of the driveway. Now I don't know what to do.
Old 02-16-2008, 03:18 PM
No longer with us

2007 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Red Jewel Tintcoat/Silver 4.2L I6 4X4
You might still have to have the light cleared out of your comp. GMT355's have the same problem all the time. Mine happened a few months ago, same symptoms, same code. I work at a body shop and we have a few scanners, so I just cleared the light when I left work, went straight home and cleaned out my TB. WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!! Light hasn't been on since and my truck runs 1000X better.....
Old 02-16-2008, 08:34 PM
TrailVoy Guru

2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ
Black 5.3L V8 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmsmith2032 View Post
I took the throttle body of as described in the article, cleaned it with carb cleaner and reinstalled. The light was off when I started it (I am assuming because I disconnected it) and came back in by the time I had backed out of the driveway. Now I don't know what to do.
Was the tb dirty? It could just be a reset problem as JosueZQ8 suggests, if it comes back after a reset, look for a loose/off/cracked vacuum line.
Old 02-18-2008, 09:10 AM

2005 GMC Envoy SLT
I drove the Envoy for about a half hour (mostly over 40MPH) and then disconnected the battery for about an hour. I then reconnected it and drove it for a half hour non-stop at mostly highway speeds. The light stayed off. However, when I went to drive the truck a couple hours later, the light was on again and has stayed on since.
The throttle body, when cleaned, had a light coating of black carbon but didn't seem to be gummed up. I looked for a loose vacuum hose initially but did't even really see any hoses. Everything that looked like it could be a hose seemed to be wrapped in a black corrogated tube and I think most of it was wiring. Any other suggestions? Thanks!
Old 02-20-2008, 09:35 PM

2005 Chevy TrailBlazer LT EXT
Black 4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
I drove the Envoy for about a half hour (mostly over 40MPH) and then disconnected the battery for about an hour. I then reconnected it and drove it for a half hour non-stop at mostly highway speeds. The light stayed off. However, when I went to drive the truck a couple hours later, the light was on again and has stayed on since.
The throttle body, when cleaned, had a light coating of black carbon but didn't seem to be gummed up. I looked for a loose vacuum hose initially but did't even really see any hoses. Everything that looked like it could be a hose seemed to be wrapped in a black corrogated tube and I think most of it was wiring. Any other suggestions? Thanks!
did you ever actually have the code cleared. sometimes the whole unhook the battery for an hour trick doesn't work or will work for a short time as in your case. heck it could be a loose hose or something too. i know autozone wont actually "clear" a code for you. they aint supposed to. sometimes you can talk them into it though.
you might think about buying a code scanner. i got one like five years ago from auto zone, saved me alot of headaches. i think theyre like $80 maybe?
Old 02-20-2008, 09:38 PM

2006 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Wife's Red Jewel Tintcoat 4.2L I6 2WD
Quote:
Hoping someone can help me. I'm new to this forum and am having a problem with my 2005 GMC Envoy (42,000 miles). About two weeks ago, my check engine light came on and has stayed on most of the time since then. Anyway, I took it to Autozone and they ran a diagnostic test. They came up with code PO506. According to the printout this means low engine speed and probable causes could be:

1. Vacuum leak on engine.
2. Dirty throttle body.
3. IAC motor defective
4. Poor electrical connection to the IAC valve.

Can anyone give me on any guidance on what to do/look for? I took a quick look and didn't see any exposed vacuum hoses. Thanks in advance!
Where are you located? Someone might be close to you that has a code reader that you can go and have them clear it for you for free....This might take care of the issue.....Good Luck
Old 02-21-2008, 11:08 AM

2005 GMC Envoy SLT
Thanks for all the great info! I live in the far west suburbs of Chicago. I have an appointment to take the Envoy into the dealer next Monday but am hoping I can avoid it since it isn't under warranty anymore. Also, I read that it could be seal connecting the throttle body or that it may need a new IAC valve. Any feedback on either of these?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.