Diagnostic Code P0442 - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 General Tech Q&A > General

General If it doesn't fit in any other forum

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-07-2008, 06:25 PM

2003 GMC Envoy SLT XL
Pewter Metallic 4.2L I6 AWD
Diagnostic Code P0442

Just went to Advance Auto to review Service Engine Soon light, Fault reader gave code P0442 EVAP Emission Leak (Small), they told me this is generally loose fitting gas cap. I made sure cap was on tight and had the code reset, Service Engine Soon light went out, hopefully this was the answer. Anybody else had this Fault Code
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2008, 06:36 PM

2005 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Summit White 4.2L I6 4X4
Could be, there are lots of places for a small evap leak to occur, and the evaps are hard to trace. I was getting a P0440, checked everything I could get to, and it turned out to be a disconnected solenoid on the fuel tank. From what I read, the "official" gas cap tighten is 3 clicks. I usually give it 8 or 10 to be sure!
Old 03-07-2008, 10:56 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Majestic Red Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Codes associated with gas caps tend to be large leaks. Small leaks can be cracks in tubing, loose sensors, etc.
Old 03-10-2008, 11:42 PM

2003 GMC Envoy SLT XL
Pewter Metallic 4.2L I6 AWD
Check Engine light has stayed off for days.
Old 03-12-2009, 04:31 PM

2003 GMC Envoy SLT
Pewter Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
Cool

I had put up with check engine light for a few years- was told by Onstar it was a loose gas cap- but I would tighten and tighten and then just ignore the light. It would go off for a while then back on. I decided last week-duh!- it may be something else. So I got checked out with my local mechanic shop ( that I trust a lot) last week. I also needed a new thermostat and new gas cap. Light OFF! yea! Next day took a 300 mile trip, stopped & got a few gallons of gas to hold me til the end of destination 50 miles away where it was cheaper- less than half a tank. The next day I filled up- then light came back on! (But I noticed, on the way the first day of trip I had best mileage ever- 24.6 interstate only. On way back home I reset that gauge and gas mileage was back down to 22.3 and my light was back on. I assumed because I filled up- and I know it wasn't the new cap being loose. I just thought maybe that it was something associated with the gas tank level.
Took it back to my local mechanic shop when I got home from my trip and they said small evap code then showed me a trickle of a leak from a hose from the gas tank.They printed out the MotorAll Data info as a"fuel tank inlet check valve weld fracture". So then I go over to the GM dealer. But the light was off and I dont' think they really understood me.So I was there for 5 hrs and not offer of real help- but an estimate of a new gas tank of $1200. No thanks!
But I showed them that GM paid claims for this inlet valve weld fracture! But for the longer length model Envoys, Trailblazers etc-- not my SLT short Envoy. So I have called and talked with GM higher powers and am waiting for the same mercy given others too. They have been very nice.Now waitin gfor the 3rd rep to call today or tomorrow. I think I need to buy an old car that doesn't have a computer system for every little thing.I need back my Opel GT
Old 03-12-2009, 05:35 PM

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LT EXT
Dark Gray Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
I have an '03 ext trailblazer and my inlet vale was cracked and bought it in and they put a new tank in it, after 6 yrs and 85,000 miles under its belt, I dont know the specifics of the extended warranty but i think it applies to the larger fuel tanks on the ext"s
Old 03-14-2009, 12:35 PM

2003 GMC Envoy SLT
I know the official help for this problem goes to the extended length models- but I feel the problem is the same design problem.I will now file a complaint on Safecar.gov
I was called to hurry back to my dealer yesterday for them to re-eval what they saw on it only a few days ago on my 1st visit to tell them the prob. The higher powers of GM told them to do that but whoever was the district GM person determined that I was not able to have any mercy bestowed on me. The extended models get help up to 150,000 miles and/ 10 yrs and I fall under that. I found old records for visits to the dealer a few years ago that showed they had that same code from the light- but they did other things to the gas tank assembly.this dealership had cleared my computer trail and only had me in from last Sept.2008 becasue I had had no problems for a few years. So I am glad I saved my documentation. So it is frustrating. I also told a head sales mgr I noticed crossing from the new car lot as I drove away from the service area,that they just lost my future business of replacing my car there. He was very concerned and asked if I had spoken with the owner of this large dealership. I said no one offered to let me.I couldn't even get in to speak with the busy head service manger He was going to pass on my problem to him and have him call me next week. So maybe they will help.But I am not going to pay a Pentagon price of $1200 for a new tank. What else is going to go bad after 7 yrs that costs way too much to fix? I think the car's value will be way less than the sum of it's replacement parts for sure!
Old 08-14-2009, 01:40 PM

2004 Buick Rainier
Patinum Metallic 5.3L V8 AWD
P0442

We have started getting this error on our 2004 Rainier V8. Can someone tell me where to look at the fuel tank for this cracked valve? We have been thru the fuel cap tightening routine and I do not think that it is the cap.

I have a Xray code reader and reset the error, but it comes back later.

Chris
Old 08-14-2009, 05:06 PM

2003 GMC Envoy SLT
To SNOKING- to find the filler intake look under the car at the gastank where the pipe ( hose) comes into the tank at the top of the tank. My sevice man showed me the stains of where gas had trickled out at that welded area.He had the car on the lift.
I have remedied the problem on my own -instead of buying a $1200 gas tank from the GM dealer.
Because the pressure from a full tank would probably cause a leak ( oozing of gas) and the code light to come on, I decided to just fill up no more than half a tank.I have not had the code light come on since I took it to the dealer about 5 months ago and only filled half way.

Also concerning the gas cap, just buy a new one if the code says it is still getting loose. Mine was about $15. So then you won't have that code coming on too.
My car has a bit over 140,000 miles now but I will keep it as long as I can.
But because GM wouldn't help me I sure won't buy GM again.
Old 09-28-2009, 08:41 PM

2004 Buick Rainier
Patinum Metallic 5.3L V8 AWD
P0442 error still, after new fuel cap

Well I installed a new fuel cap and am still getting a P0442 error, guess I will have to go have the SUV put up on a host and look for stains on the fill pipe connection at the tank. It does happen soon after filling the tank to full.

SNOKING
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.