Replacing Starter - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 Vortec 5.3L V8 Engine and Drivetrain > OEM Issues

OEM Issues Original Equipment Repairs and/or Problems

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-31-2008, 06:57 PM

2004 GMC Envoy SLE XL
Sand Beige Metallic 5.3L V8 4X4
Replacing Starter

I have a no start problem on my 04 Envoy XL V8. I have been troubleshooting and believe the problem in the starter. Battery is new and tested, the starter relay clicks; but, no click for starter solenoid.

Has anyone replaced a starter on the V8? I have AllData and the procedure calls out removing the catalytic converter, which is pretty involved. If anyone has done the starter replacement and has some tips that would be great.

I am new to the forum and if someone needs some info from AllData let me know.

Thanks,

Brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2008, 10:27 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

2005 Chevy TrailBlazer LS EXT
Midnight Blue Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by brikon View Post
I have a no start problem on my 04 Envoy XL V8. I have been troubleshooting and believe the problem in the starter. Battery is new and tested, the starter relay clicks; but, no click for starter solenoid.

Has anyone replaced a starter on the V8? I have AllData and the procedure calls out removing the catalytic converter, which is pretty involved. If anyone has done the starter replacement and has some tips that would be great.

I am new to the forum and if someone needs some info from AllData let me know.

Thanks,

Brian
Sorry nobody has an answer for you - I don't remember hearing about too many people replacing their starters here.
I've been here for a couple of years or so, and I've heard of many ignition switches being replaced, just not very many starters and the few that were replaced were done by the dealership under warrranty.
Old 04-03-2008, 07:54 PM
TrailVoy Guru

2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ
Black 5.3L V8 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by brikon View Post

Thanks,

Brian
Brian, your words "no start problem" make me question ur diagnoses. Please clarify, no start, or, no crank.
Until u do, I'll assume, u mean no crank; which would point to the starter.
But.... are u experiencing any other problems. ie: things that should work when key is on, but are not. If u have any of these problems, look at the ignition switch. Let us know.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:02 PM

2004 GMC Envoy SLE XL
It is a no crank problem and now it is intermittent. The other night I held the key in the start position for several seconds and it started and has started for the last several days. I know it will fail again it's just a matter of time. I checked with the dealer and they want over $350 in labor to do the job. Just thought one of the members had done the job before and could save me some time with a few tips.

Thanks
Old 04-05-2008, 05:34 PM

2004 Buick Rainier
Medium Red Metallic 5.3L V8 AWD
I don't know if this is helpful, but here's the official GM maintenance manual procedure for removing and replacing a V8 starter motor. Unfortunatley, I am unable to copy and paste the supporting illustrations that go along with this procedure:

Starter Motor Replacement 5.3L Engine

Removal Procedure

Disconnect the negative battery cable.

Raise and suitably support the vehicle.

Remove the rear steering gear crossmember.

Remove the wire harness from the wire harness retaining clips on the transmission oil cooler line bracket.

Remove the transmission oil cooler line bracket bolt.

Remove the right transmission cover bolt.

Remove the starter bolts.

Move the starter toward the front of the vehicle, and remove the transmission cover.

Remove the starter solenoid heat shield.

Tilt and rotate the starter in order to pass the starter between the transmission oil cooler lines and the engine oil pan.

Remove the starter solenoid nut (2).

Remove the starter lead (1) from the solenoid stud.

Remove the battery positive cable nut (2).

Remove the battery positive cable (1) from the starter solenoid.

Finish removing the starter from the vehicle.

Installation Procedure

Begin installing the starter between the transmission oil cooler lines and the engine oil pan.

Install the battery positive cable (1) to the starter stud.

Install the battery positive cable nut (2). Tighten the nut to 9 Nm (80 lb in).

Install the starter solenoid lead (1) to the solenoid stud.

Install the starter solenoid nut (2). Tighten the nut to 3.4 Nm (30 lb in).

Install the starter solenoid heat shield.

Slide the starter toward the front of the vehicle. Position the transmission cover to the transmission.

Position the starter to the engine

Install the starter bolts. Tighten the bolts to 50 Nm (37 lb ft).

Install the right transmission cover bolt. Tighten the bolt to 9 Nm (80 lb in).

Install the transmission oil cooler line bracket bolt. Tighten the bolt to 9 Nm (80 lb in).

Attach the wire harness to the wire harness retaining clips on the transmission oil cooler line bracket.

Install the rear steering gear crossmember.

Lower the vehicle.

Connect the negative battery cable.

------------------------------------
Document ID# 901544
2004 GMC Truck Envoy - 4WD
Old 05-05-2008, 02:23 PM

2004 GMC Envoy SLE XL
Thanks, for the help. I got in the truck this morning and "no crank". Looks like this week I get to replace it.
Old 05-05-2008, 02:34 PM

2004 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Dark Gray Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Yep, if there is no clicks in stater solenoid. The starter is no good. Replace the starter and it will be fine again.
Old 05-05-2008, 04:36 PM
TrailVoy Guru

2003 Chevrolet TrailBlazer LT
Scratchy Black 4.2L I6 4X4
I would smack that sumbitch with a hammer while a (preferably hot) assistant holds the key in the start position....i say this because a similar experience led to me buying a starter I didnt need....my intermittent no crank was due to a poor battery terminal connection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.