My version of an amp install - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > General TrailVoy Discussion > Audio and Electronics

Audio and Electronics Discuss car audio, video, navigation, alarms, and other electronics here.

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 04-26-2008, 10:35 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

2005 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Black 4.2L I6 4X4
My version of an amp install

Lets start with running the wire from the battery. Maybe 8 gauge is enough, I used 4 gauge.
You’ll need an adapter (car parts or stereo shop) to hook up to.
Before

After

Then to a fuse holder.

To get the wire inside the truck, I went inside with a screwdriver and poked a hole through the trucks wiring harness boot, then when I fished the wire through – it was pretty tight – but I’ll probably silicone it too.

Lift the plates off at the front and back door sills and run the wire back to in under the back seat – then put a slice in the carpet and fish it to another slice where your amp is.

Now to the factory amp. Remove the passenger side rear plastic pieces. I don’t have pictures of that, just do it! If there isn’t a visible screw (one large torx for the seatbelt, a phillips partway back and a knob at the rear hatch), it’s just snap connectors – just pull them off.

The rear speaker wires are the lower plug. (for my 05 TB)
Brown – left rear+
Yellow – left rear-
Dark Blue – right rear+
Light Blue – right rear-

Tap into the wire by stripping a section of insulation off. Here’s the dark blue.

Solder and tape the connections. You can see I also tapped into the top plugs pink wire – it’s the remote turn-on wire for the amp.

Then run the speaker wires (the ones you just tapped into at the factory amp) to the amp you’re installing. My Rockford amp has hook-up for speaker level input so I’m using that (at least until I replace the head unit!) - (if you’re using a line-out-converter you’d wire it in somewhere between here and there). I ran them front and underneath the rear seat and with another slice’n fish under the carpet to the amp.

Then run your speaker wires (from your new amp) to your speakers.
You probably have to write the rest yourself – but I’ll show you what I did!
I ran them back under the carpet and up the corner post.

and a short one to my sub (everything REALLY needs cleaned up – oh well!)

Looking back.

Rock on!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2008, 11:09 PM
TrailVoy Guru

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LT EXT
Onyx Black 4.2L I6 4X4
Right on!! That's way better than my amp installation how-to

THESE BIG RED LETTERS HELP ME FIND MY POST
Old 04-26-2008, 11:18 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Summit White 4.2L I6 2WD
Looks good. I bet the sound is alot better back there, these trucks don't have that great of sound for rear passengers. By the way how deep iss that back pillar? I've been thinking of putting some 3.5" flush in that area
Old 04-27-2008, 07:49 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

2005 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Black 4.2L I6 4X4
EDIT
I'm not sure why I can edit this post but not the original but, I wanted to add;
A note on the install. The ground wire is just as important as the power wire. The best thing to do would be - drill a hole through the floor and ground it right to the frame. Don't just use any bolt to attach it. I looked at the seats and some bolts, you would have to count on;
1. you wire brushing the paint off and making a good connection.
2. that bracket goes to another bracket - through a hinge that you're counting on for a great connection (unlikely)
3. that bracket actually is bolted to another bracket - both painted and hindering a ground.
4. that last painted bracket is bolted to your painted floor which is attached by body mounts.
Yeah - it might be OK, but if there's problems, is it any wonder!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZEN03 View Post
Looks good. I bet the sound is alot better back there, these trucks don't have that great of sound for rear passengers. By the way how deep iss that back pillar? I've been thinking of putting some 3.5" flush in that area
Thanks

Yeah, it sounds a lot better but the thump isn't quite what it should be. It's the same amp and sub from my last blazer but I had an after market head unit with 2 sets of RCA's - one for the rear speakers and one set specifically for a sub. I'm wondering if the factory HU is sending the full spectrum of sound to the rear speakers or if it is eliminating some of the lows. My amp has settings for front and rear - HP(high pass), AP(all pass), and LP(low pass). I have the 6 1/2's set at AP and the sub at LP. More tinkering needed!

As for room in the rear pillars, There's not much room between the plastic and metal - just guessing 1/2" - 1 inch. There's a (guessing) 2" x 4" slot in the metal at about the right height that could be enlarged if needed I suppose. Open your back hatch and grab the top plastic panel on the drivers side at the top rear - give it a tug toward the passenger side - there's 2 or 3 clips that'll let loose 'n ya can peek in there!
Old 04-27-2008, 09:50 PM

2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LTZ
Black 4.2L I6 4X4
*Tip for everyone*

Careful how you run the wires behind the seats folding hardware ... there's a lot of moving parts there and a friend who put my seat up kinked an RCA when I installing the headunit
Old 04-28-2008, 08:50 PM

2007 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Graystone Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by sholiz View Post
*Tip for everyone*

Careful how you run the wires behind the seats folding hardware ... there's a lot of moving parts there and a friend who put my seat up kinked an RCA when I installing the headunit
When putting under the seat there is enough room to get them above the frame like I did
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	033.JPG‎
Views:	762
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	621   Click image for larger version

Name:	034-1.jpg‎
Views:	694
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	622  
Old 04-28-2008, 09:32 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

2007 Chevy TrailBlazer SS (3SS)
Black 6.0L LS2 V8 AWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by sholiz View Post
*Tip for everyone*

Ya, Best Buy decided to put the RCA cable right in the way of the folding seats for me so my cable got kinked and eventually broke.
Old 04-28-2008, 09:42 PM

2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LTZ
Black 4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenS View Post
When putting under the seat there is enough room to get them above the frame like I did
Some people's approaches may not be as ... thorough?, just giving fair warning
Old 05-09-2008, 11:43 PM

2005 GMC Envoy SLT XL
Summit White 5.3L V8 4X4
nicee set upp
Old 05-19-2008, 05:56 PM

I couldn't figure things out until I saw your pixs with the amp in the back! I have an 02Envoy and everythings pretty much the same except the remote turn on(no pink?). Do you know of any website that would tell me which one is the remote for my car?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.