P0014 Camshaft Position Actuator Help - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 Vortec 4.2L I-6 Engine and Drivetrain > Engine Tunes/Mods

Engine Tunes/Mods Performance Engine Tuning/Engine Modifications

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 05-27-2008, 04:38 PM

2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LTZ
Sandalwood Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
P0014 Camshaft Position Actuator Help

Hi
I am a newbie on here. I am hoping to find some assistance with this problem. Any help you can give me will be greatly appreciated!!
Here goes: I have an 02 TB EXT with the 4.2 inline 6, with 138k miles. Engine runs fine, and drives fine until 2nd to 3rd gear shift-then the transmission won't keep up with the engine, and therefore I cannot drive faster than 35MPH or so. Code P0014 comes up. Camshaft Position Actuator, Timing over advanced. I have read that this malfunction can cause this type of problem with the transmission. Does anyone know something about this?

Chevrolet told me the Camshaft Position Actuator will cost me $311 plus tax and tip. From ther research I have done, it appears the cam position actuator IS the Delphi part mounted on the front of the exhaust cam (in front of the timing gear sprocket). I have also found that people call the other two sensors by the PS pump by this name too. Can anyone identify these three parts for me? I am confused as to which one is which.

Also, if it is that part on the front of the exhaust cam, what special tools do I need to remove it? Do I need to remove the timing chain to do it?

Thank you for any help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2008, 08:00 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

2006 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Superior Blue Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Check out the following thread for info & a diagram:

http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthrea...shaft+actuator
Old 05-27-2008, 11:33 PM

Thank you very much for the helpful information. I am going to look at the actuator and probably change it.

Do you know if this problem could be causing my transmission to shift incorrectly? I do know that transmission problems and causes are vast, but I have read that the bad actuator could cause the problem I described in my original post. Have you ever heard of this?

Also, I am going to take the TB into the dealership and have the software update done as well. BTW, I had put in my original post that I had and EXT, but that is wrong, I have the LTZ. Thanks again!

Dash

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROSPHOTO View Post
Check out the following thread for info & a diagram:

Old 05-27-2008, 11:44 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Majestic Red Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddash32 View Post
Hi
I am a newbie on here. I am hoping to find some assistance with this problem. Any help you can give me will be greatly appreciated!!
Here goes: I have an 02 TB EXT with the 4.2 inline 6, with 138k miles. Engine runs fine, and drives fine until 2nd to 3rd gear shift-then the transmission won't keep up with the engine, and therefore I cannot drive faster than 35MPH or so. Code P0014 comes up. Camshaft Position Actuator, Timing over advanced. I have read that this malfunction can cause this type of problem with the transmission. Does anyone know something about this?

Chevrolet told me the Camshaft Position Actuator will cost me $311 plus tax and tip. From ther research I have done, it appears the cam position actuator IS the Delphi part mounted on the front of the exhaust cam (in front of the timing gear sprocket). I have also found that people call the other two sensors by the PS pump by this name too. Can anyone identify these three parts for me? I am confused as to which one is which.

Also, if it is that part on the front of the exhaust cam, what special tools do I need to remove it? Do I need to remove the timing chain to do it?

Thank you for any help!!
I know it has been a long day and it is almost midnight, but you must tip the mechanic?
Old 05-28-2008, 06:38 AM
TrailVoy Alumni

There are many engine concerns that can cause the transmission to operate improperly...the first step in diagnosing most transmission concerns is to make sure that the engine is running properly
Old 05-28-2008, 09:24 AM

Light Pewter Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
I'm willing to bet the 2 are unrelated. I bought my TB in April had the same engine code. I bought it from the Ford dealership my bro-n-law works at. He spoke to the Chevy Tech's and learned that oil clogs the passages for the sensor, the first thing they suggested was to change the oil. I checked the DIC and saw the oil life was about 35%, I changed it anyways, cleared the code and have not seen any engine lights yet. And when that code was active, it had no bearing on the tranny shifts
Old 05-28-2008, 01:12 PM

I found some more information on the Camshaft Position Actuator from Autozone, in there online repair manuals. Now I am more confused than before. See the link below. According to them, the Camshaft Position Actuator IS the part mounted on the front of the exhaust camshaft sprocket, and not the sensor on the side by the P/S pump.

http://www.autozone.com/shopping/rep...00c152800a1200

Now, according to this diagram:

The Camshaft Position Actuator is shown as #2.

Now if the Auto Zone information is correct, I will need a crankshaft holding tool no. J-44221, which I found is obsolete now and replaced by:

OTC GM in-line 5, 6, or V6 Cam Tool Set, Part Number OTC 6688.

Mike I have a question for you on this. Do I have to buy this tool set or is there another way to remove that Actuator without having to disassemble the timing gear? Also, I have checked all the major tool vendors (Snap-On, Mac, Matco, Etc..) And No one has this set for GM! I can find it for Ford and Chrysler but not GM. From OTC I can buy it for about $250. Does anyone know where I can find this cam tool set, maybe used, maybe cheaper?

Thanks again!
Old 05-28-2008, 01:24 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

Autozone is incorrect, GM is correct...the info that I posted is direct from GM's service information

#2=Camshaft position actuator
#3=Camshaft position sensor

Everyone that has changed theirs will confirm that...

You do not need the crankshaft holding tool to replace either component
You will, however, need to move the power steering pump out of the way to get the actuator out
Old 05-28-2008, 01:32 PM

Mike,

Autozone really sucks! How the heck can they make such a big mistake and not fix it?

I will take your word for it guy! The power steering pump is a piece of cake. I'm on it and will let you know how it turns out. As soon as I can figure out how to rate your help on here I will leave you great kudos!

Thanks again,
Dash
Old 05-28-2008, 01:37 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

Hey Dash...glad to help out.

I don't know if you'll be able to view my search, but there is a bunch of threads on here regarding the camshaft position actuator and P0014 code. Try clicking on the link below:

http://forums.trailvoy.com/search.php?searchid=1452648
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.