change oil light on? - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 Vortec 4.2L I-6 Engine and Drivetrain > Engine Tunes/Mods

Engine Tunes/Mods Performance Engine Tuning/Engine Modifications

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 08-04-2008, 05:19 PM

2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Pewter Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
change oil light on?

my change oil light went on yesterday and its on again today again. if i do an oil change at home will it go off or do i have to go to a dealer after changing oil to get it to go off?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2008, 05:31 PM

Envoy GMC Envoy SLE
Summit White 4.2L I6 2WD
Oil change light

I just read the answer to this earlier today and I think I found it by doing a search on this forum for Resetting Oil Light. Anyway, if I remember right, it said that you have to reset it yourself after each oil change or pay a dealer around $60.00 to do it. I think it said to do the following:
While sitting in vehicle, turn off the vehicle and remove the key. Then open the door and close it (stay inside though).
Next, reinsert the key and turn it on (not the engine- only turn the key til all the dash lights come on).
Within five seconds of turning the key on, depress the gas pedal 3 times and the light should start flashing. Supposedly this means it is resetting. After the flashing stops it's now supposedly reset.
Old 08-04-2008, 05:35 PM
TrailVoy Guru

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Light Pewter Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
he is right.... unless u have the driver information center (DIC) u can delete it with the buttons on ur steering wheel. if u have the DIC go to where it says % oil left and then just hold the select button down till it resets to 100
Old 08-04-2008, 06:37 PM

2004 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Indigo Blue Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
wow dealer is making some bank to push your pedal a few times.

last time i did it i pushed it 3 or 4 times and waited a couple of seconds and it blinked and it has been off since, should be coming back up in about 4k miles.
Old 08-04-2008, 06:47 PM

Lt Tarnished Silvr Met. 4.2L I6 4X4
How many miles are you guys putting on before the light comes on? Is there any way to turn it off permanantly? I have put 7000 miles on my TB since I bought it used and no light yet. According to the sticker in the window, I have put about 9000 miles on it since the last oil change. I figure it has to come on soon. Does it come on while driving or only during startup?
Old 08-04-2008, 07:41 PM
TrailVoy Guru

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Light Pewter Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
it does vary based on coniditons and driving habits... but 9000 seems a little high....
Old 08-04-2008, 07:58 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

2004 Chevy TrailBlazer LS EXT
Dark Gray Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
mine comes on after starting the vehicle and goes out after a few minutes so i never really care to reset it. i keep my oil change mileage on paper and never use the 'built in meter'
Old 08-04-2008, 08:09 PM

2007 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Moondust Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
I have yet to have mine come on but then I reset it every 5000 KM (3100 MI) when I change my Oil.
At 9000 MI, your close to 3 times the mileage for an oil change. Hope you just mean since the reset. Not to bust your b@lls but you would be looking at long term problems
Old 08-04-2008, 08:28 PM

Lt Tarnished Silvr Met. 4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by brendanpower View Post
I have yet to have mine come on but then I reset it every 5000 KM (3100 MI) when I change my Oil.
At 9000 MI, your close to 3 times the mileage for an oil change. Hope you just mean since the reset. Not to bust your b@lls but you would be looking at long term problems
Nope, havent changed the oil in 9000 miles. Thats not what bothers me, I always went 10,000 intervals with all my other vehicles and have well over 100K them and close to 200K on some of them with no issues. Im just wondering if the oil change light can be turned off permanantly? Seems like it should have come on by now. It comes on as do all the other warning lights upon turning the key forward, but goes immidiately out once all the other lights go out.
Old 08-04-2008, 08:42 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

2005 Chevy TrailBlazer LS EXT
Midnight Blue Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by brendanpower View Post
Nope, you are wrong. GM spent a LOT of time and $$ designing this system. Many of us have gone over 10K miles with no problems. Check out Rbarrios - he has gone over 10K and even had an oil analysis done. No problems whatsoever and I believe he is at 120 some thousand miles. Do a search on OLM on this site alone.

3K is very OLD school. These engines run much cleaner, hold 7 quarts of oil and the oil is MUCH better than it was back in the 60's when the 3k OCI started.

FWIW the manual states if the light does not come on in 1 year, to change the oil regardless of the mileage. I think a few people have had it come on around 11 - 12K miles.

To answer the question above - I don't think you can turn the light off permanently. Unless of course you took the bulb out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.