reduced engine power light. P0641 - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 Vortec 4.2L I-6 Engine and Drivetrain > OEM Issues

OEM Issues Original Equipment Repairs and/or Problems

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 08-05-2008, 03:24 AM

2004 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Midnight Blue Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
reduced engine power light. P0641

my service engine light has been on for about a week . then a friend drove my tb and the reduced engine light came on, wont go over about 20 mph. i parked it. it has about 10 codes on it . the one that is giving me trouble is P0641 . i had to replace the fan clutch in feb , but i never had the dealer flash the pcm ... should i have??? please help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2008, 03:38 AM

reduced engine power

i am kinda new at this.. but the other codes that came up were , P0452,P2135,P2138,P0526, .. i kmow that the P0526 has to do with the cooling fan speed sensor inside the fan clutch but i am wondering if i have the pcm flashed if it will fix the problems i am haveing, because like i said i replaced the fan clutch in feb. (not at the dealership) thanks
Old 08-05-2008, 03:48 AM

2007 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Moondust Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrown2004 View Post
i am kinda new at this.. but the other codes that came up were , P0452,P2135,P2138,P0526, .. i kmow that the P0526 has to do with the cooling fan speed sensor inside the fan clutch but i am wondering if i have the pcm flashed if it will fix the problems i am haveing, because like i said i replaced the fan clutch in feb. (not at the dealership) thanks
P0452 Generic Evaporative Emission System Pressure Sensor/Switch Low Input
P2135 Generic Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor/Switch A / B Voltage Correlation
P2138 Generic Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor/Switch D / E Voltage Correlation
P0526 Generic Fan Speed Sensor Circuit

No Info on the first code. Sure the # is right?

Try cleaning your throttle body. If the butterfly valve in the throttle body is gummed up, as they tend to do, it will cause you all kinds of grief.
Clean it, clear the codes, and see what comes back.
Old 08-05-2008, 04:08 AM

the first code is right P0641 (pcm voltage out of tolerance condition on 5 volt reference) this is what i found but i have no idea what it means i am not very good with electrical issues . but i will try cleaning the throttle body in the morning ... any tips that may help me are greatly appreciated.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:08 AM
Western Canada Chapter

2003 TrailBlazer and '09 Kadillak Eskalade __
sExY Dark Gray Metalic 4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrown2004 View Post
the first code is right P0641 (pcm voltage out of tolerance condition on 5 volt reference) this is what i found but i have no idea what it means i am not very good with electrical issues . but i will try cleaning the throttle body in the morning ... any tips that may help me are greatly appreciated.
You may have the dreaded bad 2004 PCM. It is part of the emissions system so it is covered under the emissions warranty. It may only need an update but with that many codes it seems as if it is loosing communication with your TPS and other stuff

Let's get a Meet going!
Old 08-05-2008, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazernut View Post
You may have the dreaded bad 2004 PCM. It is part of the emissions system so it is covered under the emissions warranty. It may only need an update but with that many codes it seems as if it is loosing communication with your TPS and other stuff
if that is the case my 04 tb has about 87,000 miles on it .is the pcm still covered under the emmisions warranty ? if so should the dealer replace the free of charge or will i have to pay out of pocket. i know that a pcm is not cheap but if this is the problem i dont want to start replacing other things that may not be broke.
Old 08-05-2008, 11:29 AM
TrailVoy Alumni

2004 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Silverstone Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Could be that you have a wiring issue since codes are somewhat unrelated. Check the integrity of mated connectors and the harness itself in the area of the fan clutch repair. Good idea to clean the throttle body at 87,000 if you've never had it off the TB.
Old 08-05-2008, 11:59 AM

on my way to pick up the trailblazer so i can start workin towards fixin the problems ... ill let ya'll know what happens.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:29 PM

update

ok i just cleaned the T/B put a new gas cap on and i still have reduced engine power light and SES light on. i cleared all the code and i am still getting P0641 . so i am thinking this is a pcm issue. the TPS is acting up but before i replace this part i am curios if i should take it to the dealer and have the pcm flashed and see if this fixes the problemsi am haveing ... any thoughts...
Old 08-05-2008, 09:49 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

2002 Olds Bravada
Pewter Metallic 4.2L I6 AWD
P0641-SENSOR REF VOLTAGE A CIRC/OPEN

i think its a wiring/electrical problem.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.