Ignition Switch - Remove Column Cover? - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2006 - 2009 TrailBlazer SS Tech > 06-09 SS Engine and Drivetrain > OEM Issues

OEM Issues Original Equipment Repairs/Problems

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 08-07-2008, 12:04 PM

2006 Chevy TrailBlazer SS (3SS)
Silver Mist Metallic 6.0L LS2 V8 AWD
Ignition Switch - Remove Column Cover?

Hello all,

I need to replace the igntion switch on my 2006, but it's looking difficult to remove the column cover..... my SS has the adjustable pedals and column, and looking up from underneath, I cannot see any screw heads?? Even though it looks like there are holes for them.

Thanks! I haven't tried yet, but would hate to break some plastic bits before I even get to the switch.

Jon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2008, 01:11 PM

2003 Olds Bravada
Summit White 4.2L I6 AWD
steering column cover removal

Isn't today's technology wonderful? Sorry that the graphics didn't copy along with the text. Hope this helps.

xTooltipElement
Service Information
2006 Chevrolet TrailBlazer - 4WD | Envoy, Rainier, TrailBlazer, Ascender (VIN S/T) Service Manual | Steering | Steering Wheel and Column | Repair Instructions | Document ID: 1828525
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Steering Column Trim Cover Replacement
Removal Procedure
Caution: Refer to SIR Caution in the Preface section.

Disable the SIR system. Refer to SIR Disabling and Enabling .
Remove the steering wheel. Refer to Steering Wheel Replacement .
Remove the tilt lever. Refer to Tilt Lever Replacement .
Remove the knee bolster. Refer to Knee Bolster Replacement .
Notice: Remove the closeout trim cover following the exact procedure listed below in order not to damage the snaps on the upper trim cover.

Disengage the closeout trim cover (2) from the upper trim cover (1) in the following order:
5.1. Stand in front of the column from the drivers point of view.

5.2. On the left side, gently pull downwards on the left side of the closeout trim cover to loosen 1 snap. Do NOT fully remove the closeout trim cover.

5.3. On the right side, gently pull downwards on the right side of the closeout trim cover to loosen 1 snap. Do NOT fully remove the closeout trim cover.

5.4. Starting from the left side of the trim covers, gently roll the closeout trim cover to the right to disengage the remaining 4 snaps.

Important: You must inspect for 2 pan head tapping screws (2) in the lower trim cover (1) before removal.

If necessary, remove the 2 pan head tapping screws (2) from the lower trim cover (1).

Gently unsnap the lower trim cover from the upper trim cover.
If equipped, disconnect the electrical connector from the power switch.
Remove the lower trim cover.
Unclip the power pedal switch from the lower cover.

Important: You must inspect for 1 TORX® head screw (3) in the upper trim cover (1) before removal.

If necessary, remove 1 TORX® head screw (3) from the upper trim cover (1) and the closeout trim cover (2) for removal.
If no screw is present, remove the upper trim cover (1) with the closeout trim cover (2).
Installation Procedure
Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in the Preface section.

Important: If the snap on/off feature on the trim covers was damaged during the removal procedure, you must use screws for the installation procedure. If screws were present in the trim covers before the removal procedure, you must use the screws during the installation procedure.

If there was not any damage done to the trim covers during the removal procedure and no screws were present, proceed to step 7.

Install the upper trim cover (1) with the closeout trim cover (2) and secure by using 1 TORX® head screw (3).
Tighten
Tighten the screw to 1 N·m (9 lb in).

If equipped, install the power pedal switch onto the lower trim cover.
Plug in the electrical connector for the power pedal switch.
Install the lower trim cover (1).
Connect the lower trim cover (1) to the closeout trim cover.
Install 2 pan head tapping screws (2).
Tighten
Tighten the screws to 3.5 N·m (31 lb in).

Install the upper and lower trim covers onto the steering column.
Gently snap the upper and lower trim covers together.

Install the closeout trim cover (2) onto the upper trim cover (1).
Install the knee bolster. Refer to Knee Bolster Replacement .
Install the tilt lever. Refer to Tilt Lever Replacement .
Install the steering wheel. Refer to Steering Wheel Replacement .
Enable the SIR system. Refer to SIR Disabling and Enabling .
© 2008 General Motors Corporation. All rights reserved.
Old 08-07-2008, 01:24 PM

2007 Buick Rainier
Platinum Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
You could possibly use the parts PDR posted by Roadie as a exploded parts illustration to help along with the above explanation.
Old 08-07-2008, 01:32 PM

Thanks!!!...... um, any hints, in english??? I'm pretty sure it can be done with the sterring wheel in place??

Basically what I'm getting from the procedure is to pull the covers off..... carefully.

Then, if you break them, put them back on with screws....
Old 08-07-2008, 06:32 PM

1901 NYqhn UquBJ
UiO9ourI9g Other AWD
Is the ignition switch actually located near the lock cylinder? I would guess that it is above the brake pedal.

In any case, go to www.alldatadiy.com and purchase a subscription to the repair information they have. The procedure to remove and reinstall the ignition switch will be explained in detail there.

Another place you could get alldata information is your local public library. They might even have an official GM service manual available.

-- Dan Meyer
Old 08-08-2008, 12:48 PM

I replaced the switch last night, it really was pretty easy. The colum cover was a little reluctant to come apart, and to go back together, but eventuall I got it. The entire operation probably took 10 minutes beginning to end.

Thanks everyone for their help!!
Old 08-11-2008, 02:24 PM

2006 Chevy TrailBlazer SS
Black 6.0L LS2 V8 AWD
ign switch

How much was a new switch? Did you have to take the steering wheel off? My second switch blew this week and my dealer told me it was caused for all the aftermarket stuff i added to the system. My first one went bad when I was totally stock so I think he is FOS. Anyways just want to know what needs to be done to replace one of these because he said the next one won't be covered by them. Thanks
Old 11-09-2008, 04:03 PM

Tilt Lever Removal

I am trying to remove the plastic covers, behind the steering wheel, to access the ignition switch for replacement. I have not been able to figure out how to remove the tilt lever, and without it's removal, the bottom half of the column cover can not be removed. In the description below, it states: "Refer to tilt lever replacement"
I'd love to refer to it, but where is it? I need this information as soon as possible, because I can not go any further with the ignition switch replacement until I'm able to remove this tilt lever. PLEASE HELP

xTooltipElement
Service Information
2006 Chevrolet TrailBlazer - 4WD | Envoy, Rainier, TrailBlazer, Ascender (VIN S/T) Service Manual | Steering | Steering Wheel and Column | Repair Instructions | Document ID: 1828525
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Steering Column Trim Cover Replacement
Removal Procedure
Caution: Refer to SIR Caution in the Preface section.

Disable the SIR system. Refer to SIR Disabling and Enabling .
Remove the steering wheel. Refer to Steering Wheel Replacement .
Remove the tilt lever. Refer to Tilt Lever Replacement .
Remove the knee bolster. Refer to Knee Bolster Replacement .
Notice: Remove the closeout trim cover following the exact procedure listed below in order not to damage the snaps on the upper trim cover.

Disengage the closeout trim cover (2) from the upper trim cover (1) in the following order:
5.1. Stand in front of the column from the drivers point of view.

5.2. On the left side, gently pull downwards on the left side of the closeout trim cover to loosen 1 snap. Do NOT fully remove the closeout trim cover.

5.3. On the right side, gently pull downwards on the right side of the closeout trim cover to loosen 1 snap. Do NOT fully remove the closeout trim cover.

5.4. Starting from the left side of the trim covers, gently roll the closeout trim cover to the right to disengage the remaining 4 snaps.

Important: You must inspect for 2 pan head tapping screws (2) in the lower trim cover (1) before removal.

If necessary, remove the 2 pan head tapping screws (2) from the lower trim cover (1).

Gently unsnap the lower trim cover from the upper trim cover.
If equipped, disconnect the electrical connector from the power switch.
Remove the lower trim cover.
Unclip the power pedal switch from the lower cover.

Important: You must inspect for 1 TORX® head screw (3) in the upper trim cover (1) before removal.

If necessary, remove 1 TORX® head screw (3) from the upper trim cover (1) and the closeout trim cover (2) for removal.
If no screw is present, remove the upper trim cover (1) with the closeout trim cover (2).
Installation Procedure
Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in the Preface section.

Important: If the snap on/off feature on the trim covers was damaged during the removal procedure, you must use screws for the installation procedure. If screws were present in the trim covers before the removal procedure, you must use the screws during the installation procedure.

If there was not any damage done to the trim covers during the removal procedure and no screws were present, proceed to step 7.

Install the upper trim cover (1) with the closeout trim cover (2) and secure by using 1 TORX® head screw (3).
Tighten
Tighten the screw to 1 N·m (9 lb in).

If equipped, install the power pedal switch onto the lower trim cover.
Plug in the electrical connector for the power pedal switch.
Install the lower trim cover (1).
Connect the lower trim cover (1) to the closeout trim cover.
Install 2 pan head tapping screws (2).
Tighten
Tighten the screws to 3.5 N·m (31 lb in).

Install the upper and lower trim covers onto the steering column.
Gently snap the upper and lower trim covers together.

Install the closeout trim cover (2) onto the upper trim cover (1).
Install the knee bolster. Refer to Knee Bolster Replacement .
Install the tilt lever. Refer to Tilt Lever Replacement .
Install the steering wheel. Refer to Steering Wheel Replacement .
Enable the SIR system. Refer to SIR Disabling and Enabling .
© 2008 General Motors Corporation. All rights reserved.[/QUOTE]
Old 11-12-2008, 03:47 PM

2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Graphite Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
YES!!! I am at the exact point also. I wish someone would reply to this thread with the answer. I cannot get the bottom cover off because of the tilt lever. I really hope I do not need to pull the steering wheel off. Someone please reply.
Old 11-12-2008, 04:37 PM

I took the Trailblazer to the GMC garage, and told their service man my situation. He walked out to the rig, opened the driver's door, reached in and pulled the lever off. No, it wasn't an easy pull. We'd already tried that. He had to pull pretty hard, but it came loose, and did no damage.
The ignition switch was replaced last night, and the tilt leve snapped right back in place.
Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.