Tailgate (swing, drop) Pressure Switch Repair - Page 2 - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 General Tech Q&A > General

General If it doesn't fit in any other forum

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-06-2009, 01:40 AM

2004 GMC Envoy SLT XUV
Liquid Silver Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Yeah, that bites... I'd have been happy to pay that $ for the switches. Never thought of checking with Cadillac.

I can't report ever having a good experience with a dealership.
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2009, 10:35 PM

2004 GMC Envoy SLT XUV
Summit White 5.3L V8 4X4
Window stuck in down position

The window went down and never came back up, also the dash says "Tailgate Open" and it's not. Also the center switch stop working the other day to drop the gate down. Some I thought I would check the guts of the tailgate.. BUT...
Took off the cover of my tailgate. My window is stuck in the down position, so I don't have access to the wiring. How can I get the window up so I can repair the switches and check the wiring?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2009, 08:09 AM

2004 GMC Envoy SLT XUV
Summit White 5.3L V8 4X4
update

Drove the XUV, hit a few bumps and now the window is up, but the warning light and dinger goes off on most corners and a few bumps, any ideas where to start to look for the loose connection?

Also bought a new switch from the dealer for the tailgate drop down, $28.00 I guess the low price of $16 is no longer available, at least not in NY state.
Old 03-13-2009, 02:34 PM

2004 GMC Envoy SLT XUV
Sorry Dude, I have no clue on this one. For me, the switch repair was pretty straight forward. Glad your window went back up

Keep watching, somebody might have had a similar problem.
Old 03-13-2009, 05:21 PM
No longer with us

2004 GMC Envoy SLT XUV
Magnetic Red Metallic 4.2L I6 AWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjewell View Post
Drove the XUV, hit a few bumps and now the window is up, but the warning light and dinger goes off on most corners and a few bumps, any ideas where to start to look for the loose connection?

Also bought a new switch from the dealer for the tailgate drop down, $28.00 I guess the low price of $16 is no longer available, at least not in NY state.
Take a look at these, take them with a grain of salt as in dont just go replacing 3 latches at once...they would never all fail simultaneously. Note that my defective center switch screwed up the drop gate, window and swing gate latch functions. I replaced it and drop gate now works and window gos up and down from overhead console. I am still chasing intermittent swing gate latching ( I have a new bottom latch and relay I will be installing this weekend)

TSB #3206 -- POWER ROOF AND OR REAR ENDGATE GLASS MAY NOT OPEN CLOSE. *EH (NHTSA ID #10010598, no date provided)

#05-08-66-008: Endgate, Glass or Roof Will Not Operate Properly (Replace Endgate Latches) - (Nov 11, 2005)

Subject: Endgate, Glass Or Roof Will Not Operate Properly (Replace Endgate Latches)

Models: 2004-2005 GMC Envoy XUV

Condition

Some customers may comment on any of the following concerns:
The endgate is hard to close.

The endgate glass will not open or close all the way.

The retractable roof will not close all the way.

Cause

A build up of dirt or dust on the switch inside the latch may cause this condition.

Correction

Replace all three endgate latches with a new robust latch from GMSPO. See SI Document ID # XXXXXXX, XXXXXXX and XXXXXXX for the repair.

Parts Information

Part Number Description
15778433 Latch E/Gate Upper Left Hand
15778434 Latch E/Gate Upper Right Hand
15778435 Latch E/Gate Lower

or this one

#PIT3651: Endgate Electrical Concerns B3966 B3967 - keywords actuator chafe code DTC glass inoperative latch lock performance rear window wire - (Jul 8, 2005)

Subject: Endgate Electrical Concerns B3966 B3967

Models: 2004-2005 GMC Envoy XUV

Condition/Concern:

There are 3 known electrical concerns with the endgate.
First concern
An XUV may exhibit a condition of intermittent operation of the endgate drop and swing functions. If diagnosis with a scan tool reveals a DTC B3967, the condition may be occurring due to chaffing in the wire harness for the endgate latch actuators.
Second Concern
If a history DTC B3966 has been set, it may be due to an out-of-range condition for the endgate window position that was set during initial cycling of the glass.
Third Concern
If there is a loss of endgate function and loss of Class2 communication with the endgate module, it may be due to a loss of Battery power to the endgate module

Recommendation/Instructions:

Carefully inspect the harness inside the endgate for evidence of pinched or exposed wires. Pinched/chafed wires have been found inside the end gate within approximately 8 inches of the latch actuator connectors for the upper right and/or lower left latches.

This DTC should be cleared and then a Tech 2 endgate re-learn procedure should be performed with the endgate swung open. Then the gate should be closed and window full up and full down operations should be performed followed by other gate functional checks including rear wiper, and drop/swing operations to confirm that the fault condition does not return. If this procedure does not correct the condition then perform the diagnostic procedures in SI and repair as necessary.

3. Circuit 2740 should be checked to see if an open circuit condition exists at the body to endgate connector C900. Look for backed-out or poorly crimped terminals in the connector.

Lastly look at this :

Best of luck, keep us informed, PM me if you need more info. Just understand that this problem is your punishment for desireing to own the BEST of the 300 series GM SUVs---the ENVOY XUV!!!!
Old 03-16-2009, 09:04 PM

2004 GMC Envoy SLT XUV
Summit White 5.3L V8 4X4
Success

Center gate switch was shot. Took it apart and it too was corroded. Think I'll cob it back together for a spare!
Old 03-17-2009, 01:35 AM
No longer with us

2004 GMC Envoy SLT "Roadiemobile"
Extreme Offroad Pewter 4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by billdaman View Post
Just understand that this problem is your punishment for desireing to own the BEST of the 300 series GM SUVs---the ENVOY XUV!!!!
So, what did you do in a previous life to deserve to work on the design project, THEN also own one of the critters? Talk about karma biting you in the butt!

You should have bought an extra one for a parts car.

In the spirit of full disclosure, I was about to buy an XUV, except the dealer and I were still $600 apart and price was a big consideration. My life would have been entirely different, because I certainly would not have built up the XUV for extreme offroading.
Old 03-17-2009, 06:19 PM
No longer with us

2004 GMC Envoy SLT XUV
Magnetic Red Metallic 4.2L I6 AWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by the roadie View Post
So, what did you do in a previous life to deserve to work on the design project, THEN also own one of the critters? Talk about karma biting you in the butt!

You should have bought an extra one for a parts car.

In the spirit of full disclosure, I was about to buy an XUV, except the dealer and I were still $600 apart and price was a big consideration. My life would have been entirely different, because I certainly would not have built up the XUV for extreme offroading.
Yea and I had to face constant ridicule from the all the engineers and managers working on the 360 program who laughed at my enthusiasm for the roof, midgate and dropgate/swing gate on the 305. They all said it would never sell and it didnt. But it wass a fun part of my life....and now I got one (for pennys on the dollar of original MSRP!)

We knew in advance that the gate was going to be a durability cluster funk, and a nightmare to build, setup in the assembly plant, and repair. When I asked the designer what the customer was going to do to maintain the gates electronics after the 10yr part period was up he just shrugged his shoulders.

Well the 305 Trailvoys like e-Iowa and me will keep them going!
Old 03-17-2009, 06:33 PM
No longer with us

2004 GMC Envoy SLT "Roadiemobile"
Extreme Offroad Pewter 4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
Don't discount the chance to start a sideline critical parts fab business. Make sure your expertise shows up in a Google search. Make a buck.
Old 12-28-2009, 08:51 AM

2004 GMC Envoy SLT XUV
Quote:
Yea and I had to face constant ridicule from the all the engineers and managers working on the 360 program who laughed at my enthusiasm for the roof, midgate and dropgate/swing gate on the 305. They all said it would never sell and it didnt. But it wass a fun part of my life....and now I got one (for pennys on the dollar of original MSRP!)

We knew in advance that the gate was going to be a durability cluster funk, and a nightmare to build, setup in the assembly plant, and repair. When I asked the designer what the customer was going to do to maintain the gates electronics after the 10yr part period was up he just shrugged his shoulders.

I still don't understand why it didn't sell. I love the truck...except for the tailgate. The midgate keeps the front clean from my otherwise dirty and dusty rear compartment! It was a good idea.

I have an issue where my tailgate is actually working for once. My switches are new so they open as they should. I have no power to my rear defrost or my wiper but i have power to everything else on the tailgate. I had the entire harness changed as well as the glass assembly which had rusted out and no longer raised the window. It cost a fortune!! The guy could not get power to the defrost or the wiper motor. One day it worked on its own. Then it died again.

Any clue what it could be? Thanks for your input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.