[SOLVED] Idle air control - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 General Tech Q&A > General

General If it doesn't fit in any other forum

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 09-11-2008, 11:30 AM

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Pewter Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Idle air control

First of all hello to all trailvoy enthusiast, i encountered a problem this weekend with my air conditioner. Every time i engage my a/c my trailblazer starts to die out and sometimes does shut off but works fine when a/c is not on. So i ask a friend for the solution and he says it's my IAC and he says it needs to be replaced or cleaned, i never did ask how to clean the IAC. So if anyone has been in this situation and has cleaned their IAC please reply and any suggestions is welcome. I called the dealer to see if it was a valve part to be replaced but i was told it is part of the throttle body and costs 300.00 dollars. I'd like to make this my project today, thanks to all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2008, 02:13 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

2005 Chevy TrailBlazer LS EXT
Midnight Blue Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
Did you recently have the battery disconnected for any reason? This is a common problem many people have encountered here.

What happens is most likely your throttle body is dirty. The computer learns to compensate for the dirty throttle body and adjusts accordingly. If you disconnect your battery it "forgets" what it learned and goes back to factory settings.

Here is one of many posts about the subject:

http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthrea...hrottle+bod y

Good luck!
Old 09-11-2008, 02:16 PM
Basic Vendor- DRL Killer

2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Summit White 4.2L I6 2WD
Idle air control is done with the throttle body, there is no separate IAC valve on these. So most likely you need to clean it. Considering you have an '03, it is probably past due for a cleaning. Here's a good article how-to:

http://forums.trailvoy.com/articles....ticle&artid=91
Old 09-11-2008, 04:03 PM

Pewter Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Thanks guys for the info. I purchased a throttle body cleaner and tackled the project and in no time was done, and guess what it was dirty and gunky. After i cleaned it, fired it up and it idled just like new and ran even better it seems. I would like to thank you all and i appreciate this site for all it does for all trailvoy owners. Peace
Old 08-29-2009, 11:50 AM

2004 GMC Envoy SLT XL
Summit White 4.2L I6 2WD
It works!

I was having similar problems with the idle air control and throttle body and after cleaning it thoroughly, the problem was remedied. Thanks for the info.
Old 04-14-2010, 08:50 PM

2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Pewter Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
Thanks a bunch!

Wow! I joined this forum after finding the same symptoms I was experiencing with my '02 TB 2wd, to get the remedy. Cleaned the throttle body with SeaFoam...idles like a champ now with a/c wide open! Can't thank you guys enough. I really appreciate it. Also, I've got a tip for anyone having issues with their driver side door master switch that could save you a lot of cash. Just had to solve that one on my own.
Old 06-03-2010, 12:46 PM

Forest Green Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
Great info!

Thanks for the post. I am experiencing similiar issues when I turn on the A/C or heater. I have to keep the gas pressed a little to prevent stalling. I read the links that describe how to clean the throttle body. I do have a question though. On one of them, the one without the pictures, someone mentions to NOT open the valve with your fingers while cleaning it. It mentions that one should clean in front and behind but not to operate the valve with your fingers. Since this is about a $300 part. I'd like to be sure before I attemtpt this. Thanks for the info. I plan on doing this this weekend.

Chris
Old 06-03-2010, 12:51 PM

2002 GMC Envoy SLT
Light Pewter Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefueley View Post
Thanks for the post. I am experiencing similiar issues when I turn on the A/C or heater. I have to keep the gas pressed a little to prevent stalling. I read the links that describe how to clean the throttle body. I do have a question though. On one of them, the one without the pictures, someone mentions to NOT open the valve with your fingers while cleaning it. It mentions that one should clean in front and behind but not to operate the valve with your fingers. Since this is about a $300 part. I'd like to be sure before I attemtpt this. Thanks for the info. I plan on doing this this weekend.

Chris
The reason you shouldn't use your fingers is that the plate in the valve is very sharp. If you use your fingers it's easy to get a bad cut. I usually use a wad of paper towels and hold the valve open to clean it as thoroughly as possible.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:29 PM

2009 GMC Envoy SLT
Black 4.2L I6 4X4
I cleaned my throttle body today too (and in my Chrys 300 and Lincoln MKX). Dead easy and no problem with cycling it open and closed. I disconnected the battery negative and took off the electrical connector (gently). I used a screw driver with a rubber handle (used the rubber handle part) to hold the disk open so the cleaner would work and clean the edges. My Envoy only had 30k kilometers on it but was still kind of dirty. Wasn't experienced any idle issues - but a bit of prevention...Great site to learn these easy to do PM things to keep the vehicle working in top condition. will be taking it on a 6 hour drive tomorrow so will see if mileage improves - I hope so.
Old 07-18-2010, 07:46 PM

Trailblazer Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Black Granite Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
It worked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tblazed View Post
Idle air control is done with the throttle body, there is no separate IAC valve on these. So most likely you need to clean it. Considering you have an '03, it is probably past due for a cleaning. Here's a good article how-to:

http://forums.trailvoy.com/articles....ticle&artid=91
Wonderful article, thanks. This absolutely fixed my AC/idle problem, just as you suggested. Thanks again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.