Bad fuel injectors... - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 Vortec 4.2L I-6 Engine and Drivetrain > OEM Issues

OEM Issues Original Equipment Repairs and/or Problems

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 09-25-2008, 04:38 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

2002 Olds Bravada
Pewter Metallic 4.2L I6 AWD
Bad fuel injectors...

I have fuel injectors that are really dirty and need to be cleaned ASAP. i'm thinking about sending it into a company that cleans them using the "off-car" method and charges about $120 for them ($18/per injector). The reason why i'm looking forward to cleaning them is because the cold-carbon knock is getting worse, and performance is robbed! plus gas mileage is going down. I've tried using techron, that only helps the problem a little bit, then comes back, and i don't want to use techron in every tank and have my engine running to hot. the only question that i have is how do i take out the injectors? i've never taken them off an i6 before, yet alone finding them. any help? and is there a less expensive way into cleaning them? thanks for any help!
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2008, 05:02 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

2002 GMC Envoy SLT
Summit White 4.2L I6 4X4
You might try a can of Seafoam first, its quite a bit more powerful than adding Techron cleaner into the tank. You disconnect a large vacuum hose, usually the brake booster, and suck in 1/3 of the can. Turn off the engine and let it sit for 30 minutes or so. Reconnect the hose and when you start it, you'll usually need to rev it a bit to keep it running.....be prepared to fog the neighborhood, this produces HUGE amounts of white smoke for several minutes. Pour the balance of the can into your fuel tank and it will clean out the rest of the fuel system. - This is what many of the repair shops use to clean the fuel system and injectors, its really strong stuff. This will also clean the valves and upper cylinder head as well.
Old 09-25-2008, 06:18 PM
TrailVoy Guru

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Pewter Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
theres a post around here somewhere- one of the members cleaned the injectors on his own using some stuff that he connected to the fuel system (left the fuel system off)... it was like a week ago... so its around here somewhere/....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2008, 09:53 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

2002 Olds Bravada
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbarrios View Post
theres a post around here somewhere- one of the members cleaned the injectors on his own using some stuff that he connected to the fuel system (left the fuel system off)... it was like a week ago... so its around here somewhere/....
yea i read that thread. I'm just looking to take off the fuel rail with the injectors. anybody know?
Old 09-26-2008, 12:38 PM

2003 GMC Envoy SLT
Magnetic Red Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Several years ago I bought a set of reconditioned injectors for a 3.4l Pontiac van from http://www.lindertech.com/reconinj.htm
Was very satisfied with both the injectors and response from lindertech.
Might be an option to buy and have on hand to minimize downtime.
For future reference use of toptier gas should prevent/reduce future occurances. see. www.toptiergas.com
Old 09-27-2008, 12:16 AM
TrailVoy Alumni

2002 Olds Bravada
[QUOTE=AbsoluteZero;613633]Several years ago I bought a set of reconditioned injectors for a 3.4l Pontiac van from http://www.lindertech.com/reconinj.htm
Was very satisfied with both the injectors and response from lindertech.
Might be an option to buy and have on hand to minimize downtime.
For future reference use of toptier gas should prevent/reduce future occurances. see. www.toptiergas.com[/QUOTE

how is BP Amoco (with invigorate) not a top tier gasoline???? i've been using it for about a year now!
Old 09-27-2008, 08:38 AM

2003 GMC Envoy SLT
Magnetic Red Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
"how is BP Amoco (with invigorate) not a top tier gasoline???? i've been using it for about a year now"

The deal with toptiergas is to "qualify" the fuel meets a performance standard for additives. This isn't to say Amoco is bad, it's you don't know. It might contain an additive but not of sufficient level to meet the standard. I just mentioned it 'cause often deposits are the result of the fuel used.
I don't have personal experience but a neighbor's TB had set a "too lean" code. He had an extended warranty. The GM injector cleaning process didn't work and they replaced the injectors. Apparently the intake manifold had to come off for access.
Old 09-28-2008, 02:05 AM

2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Forest Green Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbarrios View Post
I think it's this one

http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=45911

if you REALLY want to take out the fuel rail, be prepared, yuo must remove the intake manifold, (wich is a bitch) and then call the magic gods of acrobatic bolt removers...the last bolts are a bitch to remove, try the pressurized can like i did, not only does it clean you injector and removes all the carbon and cleans your intake valves also....
Old 09-28-2008, 02:28 AM

2008 GMC Envoy SLT
Liquid Silver Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Removing the intake manifold is a MAJOR job and takes a lot of time and effort. Try some Seafoam or BG44K before you decide to attack the injectors!
Old 06-22-2009, 03:44 PM

2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Silverstone Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
Lightbulb Vacuum Hoses

I want to try the seafoam to clean my injectors before I replace one of them. Where do I find the vacuum hose to suck out 1/3 of a can? 2002 Trailblazer with a 4.2 straight six.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.