Black Button Under Dash - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > General TrailVoy Discussion > Audio and Electronics

Audio and Electronics Discuss car audio, video, navigation, alarms, and other electronics here.

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 09-28-2008, 05:27 PM

2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Pewter Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Black Button Under Dash

Alright, so I bought a used 2002 TB LT about two months ago. The first time I detailed it, and when I do this, I'm thorough. I found a wire tucked up by the steering column under the dashboard with a button on it. I fiddled with it and finally got it to do something. When the truck is running, If I hit the button, it turns off the odometer completely, and you can hear a click like a solenoid being activated. Now I saw one post about "odometer killers" but have never heard of such before. The truck has 92k miles on it, according to the odometer, but should I be worried. Does anyone have any general knowledge specific to TB and these sort of buttons? IS it legal?
Prior history of the vehicle.
It started out as fleet, it was fleet for two years, then it was privately owned for 11 months, then it was a company car, then I bought it.
So is it possible that the Fleet had it installed to keep the value of the car up?
The car is in excellent shape, and runs like a champ.
Thanks for reading, and thanks for any possible clues/help.

-Mark
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2008, 05:29 PM
No longer with us

2011 Chevy Tahoe
Mocha Steel Metallic 5.3L V8 4X4
I am not sure that you could kill the odometer that way in a TB. They are set up a little funky. Are you sure the switch isn't just killing all your interior lights?
Old 09-28-2008, 05:31 PM

I thought that, but when the car is running, the lights are on the dash and the rpm shows idle. when you hit this button, everything cuts off on the dash, no lights...The only way I can explain what it does, is that it bypasses everything on the dash..

here is a pic

Old 09-28-2008, 05:47 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

2007 Chevy TrailBlazer SS (1SS)
Imperial Blue Metallic 6.0L LS2 V8 2WD
Follow the wire and see where it goes?
Old 09-28-2008, 05:51 PM
No longer with us

2003 GMC Envoy SLT
Magnetic Red Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
As far as being illegal, I believe a switch to disconnect the odometer would violate state and federal laws. You say the dash goes dark? Can you still drive? Could this be like the lockout used on emergency vehicals? It looks to professional manufactured to be something illegal.
Old 09-28-2008, 05:54 PM

I would follow it, but I honestly don't feel comfortable taking the dash apart just yet. I reckon I could hit the button and drive around alittle bit and see if the mileage changes at all. If it does not change, that would be a head on the nail as to what it does, right?

Should I go to the dealership and notify them of it, not like they can do anything about it, maybe the dmv?
Old 09-28-2008, 06:04 PM
No longer with us

2003 GMC Envoy SLT
Magnetic Red Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
The DMV would be the best place. If you sell the vehical and it is found that the odometer has been tampered with you could be held liable. You could try doing a serch on something like Carfax and see if the mileage seems correct. Good luck
Old 09-28-2008, 06:23 PM

The mileage ads up on the car and carfax report. I made the dealer print me out a copy before I bought it, but I never really thought about that little switch till I read about odometer kill switches on here. The only reason I would suspect it, was because it was a fleet vehicle.
Old 09-28-2008, 06:33 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

2006 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Liquid Silver Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
It would be a remote switch for just the lights on the dash, is there an overlay on the guages something aftermarket?

I used to have one of those switches to control 12v power so i'd follow it... dont be afraid to take the dash apart follow the how tos on here i'll go step by step!

Let us know what u finds tho we'd all be interested!!
Old 09-28-2008, 06:55 PM

Deleted...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.