Consumer Reports Rates Truck Tires! - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 Brakes, Suspension, Wheels and Tires > Tires

Tires Tires

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 10-06-2008, 09:46 PM

2006 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Red Jewel Tintcoat 5.3L V8 4X4
Consumer Reports Rates Truck Tires!

I just received the November 2008 issue of Consumer Reports magazine. I was overjoyed to see that they rated SUV tires in this issue. I will be purchasing a set of tires before the snow flies, and have been researching and researching and reading all of the threads. I had decided on the Goodyear Fortera TripleTreds and was happy with my choice--until now.

After reading the article, I won't be buying them. I'll save myself a ton of money and buy the number one rated tire, despite it's one glaring weakness--tread life. Though it rated below average in the tread life rankings (it ranked the same as the TripleTred), it should still give me more than 40k of wear, and that willl be acceptable given their low price. They are also average in rolling resistance, so I won't be taking a fuel economy hit.

Oh, you want to know which ones topped the rankings in the all-season category? Surprise. The General Grabber HTS. It scored an 80, the second place tire scored a 73, and the TripleTreds came in 14th with only 63 points.

The Grabber HTS posted Excellents for Dry Braking, Wet Braking, and Handling, and Above Averages for Hydroplaning Resistance, Ride Comfort and Low Noise.

Cheap at $113 each at tirerack.com. Compare with $161 for the TripleTreds. I keep telling my kids that my CR subscription doesn't cost, it pays, and this is proof. As a bonus, Consumer Reports also rated auto batteries, windshield wipers and cordless drills in this issue.

Just my

Mark
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2008, 10:36 PM

2004 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Black 4.2L I6 4X4
what did the hankooks rank? if you could give me all that info it would be good-i was just about to order them-please let me know
Old 10-06-2008, 10:51 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LTZ
Red Jewel Tintcoat 4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by markarock View Post
I just received the November 2008 issue of Consumer Reports magazine. I was overjoyed to see that they rated SUV tires in this issue. I will be purchasing a set of tires before the snow flies, and have been researching and researching and reading all of the threads. I had decided on the Goodyear Fortera TripleTreds and was happy with my choice--until now.

After reading the article, I won't be buying them. I'll save myself a ton of money and buy the number one rated tire, despite it's one glaring weakness--tread life. Though it rated below average in the tread life rankings (it ranked the same as the TripleTred), it should still give me more than 40k of wear, and that willl be acceptable given their low price. They are also average in rolling resistance, so I won't be taking a fuel economy hit.

Oh, you want to know which ones topped the rankings in the all-season category? Surprise. The General Grabber HTS. It scored an 80, the second place tire scored a 73, and the TripleTreds came in 14th with only 63 points.

The Grabber HTS posted Excellents for Dry Braking, Wet Braking, and Handling, and Above Averages for Hydroplaning Resistance, Ride Comfort and Low Noise.

Cheap at $113 each at tirerack.com. Compare with $161 for the TripleTreds. I keep telling my kids that my CR subscription doesn't cost, it pays, and this is proof. As a bonus, Consumer Reports also rated auto batteries, windshield wipers and cordless drills in this issue.

Just my

Mark
Mark, just be sure, you should check the reviews that Tire Rack does on all the tires....if both Consumer Reports and TR rate the tires about the same, then you'll have a very good idea which tire to get.
Old 10-06-2008, 11:20 PM

2006 Chevy TrailBlazer SS (LT)
Superior Blue Metallic 6.0L LS2 V8 2WD
I know you pay for that report, but would you mind posting the list of best to worst? I am also in the market for some tires and am curious as to how they rank in there compared to on tirerack. (specifically want to know about the firestone destination LE )
Old 10-07-2008, 08:11 AM

Well, I hope I'm not breaking any copyright law! Hopefully this is fair use. Please buy the issue to get the details. They recommend, and I agree, that not everybody "needs" the same tire, so looking at the ratings in 10 categories will enable you to choose a tire that is best in the categories that are most important to you. That said, here goes:
  1. General Grabber HTS
  2. Continental CrossContact LX
  3. Kumho Road Venture APT KL51
  4. Cooper Discoverer CTS
  5. Michelin LTX M/S
  6. Yokohama Geolander M/T-S G051
  7. Firestone Destination LE
  8. Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza
  9. Dayton Timberline HTII
  10. Pirelli Scorpion STR A
  11. Goodyear Wrangler SR-A
  12. Dunlop Radial Rover A/T
  13. Hankook DynaPro AS RH03
  14. Goodyear Fortera TripleTred
  15. Toyo Open Country H/T
  16. Nitto Dura Grappler Highway Terrain
  17. Dunlop Grandtrek AT20
  18. Uniroyal Laredo Cross Country
  19. BF Goodrich Rugged Trail T/A
  20. Falken Ziex S/TZ-04

Where do they get these names? Do they actually pay somebody to come up with them?

They also rated All-Terrain tires, and Winter Tires.

Again, there is so much information in this article that if you are in the market for tires, it will be well worth the magazine stand price.

Having read everything that Tirerack.com has on the TripleTreds and on many other tires as well, I can tell you that the CR ratings do not correlate well to the TireRack ratings. So that means you must decide who to believe. Since CR tries to be scientific in their tests, and goes to great pains to measure accurately, and since most of TireRack's info is anecdotal reports from owners, and since you can read the highest of praise and the harshest of criticism for the same brand/model tire on TireRack, I tend to believe that I'll get a more accurate evaluation from CR.

For example, they measured the difference in fuel economy between the tires with the best and worst rolling resistance by putting them on their Silverado test truck and measuring the actual economy on the highway--in the real world. The difference was an astounding 2.4 mpg, which translates into $300 per year if gas is $4.00 and you drive only 12,000 miles. Since I drive about 20,000 a year, choosing the right tire instead of the wrong tire could save me the price of the tires in one year!!! You just don't get this kind of information at TireRack.

Mark
Old 10-07-2008, 11:47 AM
TrailVoy Alumni

2005 Chevy TrailBlazer LS EXT
Midnight Blue Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by markarock View Post
You just don't get this kind of information at TireRack.

Mark
Personally I've read Consumer Reports for a lot of years, and it's very rare that my real life experience comes even close to their ratings for various products.

I myself would rather go by what the MAJORITY of people on someplace like TireRack would say. You are always going to have a few disgruntled people, but if you see a pattern . . .
Also I like that on Tire Rack you can search by your make/model and see what kind of experience people have had with that tire on your car
Old 10-07-2008, 12:19 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Majestic Red Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
While we are on the subject of tires and ice and snow does anybody have any input on the studless ice and snow tires? Like Bridgstone Blizzak or other brands? I always ran studded tires in Oregon and they are hard to find in the south. And yes we do get some snow and ice.
Old 10-07-2008, 02:41 PM

The Consumer Reports article also reports on and rates specialized winter tires, the Blizzak and 3 or 4 others, and also tests and reports on two studded tires.

The article is well worth reading IMHO, even if you don't entirely accept their results.

Mark
Old 10-07-2008, 05:46 PM

2004 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Medium Red Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Up here in Canada, some of us use winter tires four to five months of the year. I started putting four winter tires (Michelin Alpin) on my Blazer many years ago, and the day I got my Trailblazer, I took it to my tire retailer to throw away the stock tires, install winter tires on the factory wheels and order summer tires on new wheels.

Four winter tires is hands-down the BEST upgrade I have ever made, period.

I have been driving for many many decades but I would NOT be without good modern winter tires, even on an SUV. (ESPECIALLY on an SUV, because 4-wheel drive gets you going better, but doesn't help stopping, turning or staying frame-side-down on the pavement on icy roads.)

Incidentally, I run Michelin LTX M/S on both my Trailblazer and my wife's Blazer in the summer and Michelin X-Ice Latitude in the winter. Having bought many sets of tires over four decades of driving, my basic rule of thumb from experience is that I have never owned a Goodyear I liked and I have never owned a Michelin I didn't like.

While CR may be a fine publication, THEIR priorities are not MY priorities. I highly value handling, road feel and traction and the cost to get what I want in either fuel economy or in dollars is irrelevant. (That's, by the way, why I own a Trailblazer.)

One thing though about winter tires - if you put in a lot of mileage, running winters in the winter and all-season in the summer helps extend the life of your tires, but if you don't put in a lot of miles, you don't really extend the life of your tires. Tires reach the end of their service life after a certain number of years anyway, even if the tread is not worn out. You may end up just throwing away tires with lots of tread but are still beyond their service life because the tread just gets old and starts cracking.

As you can tell, tires are REAL important to me.
Old 10-07-2008, 05:57 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Black 4.2L I6 4X4
Any tire manufacturer can come up with a good tire once in a while, but in general (pun intended) I've not seen that overall with General tires. I tried running some of their tires a while back, and though they did pretty well when new, they quicky turned into bricks -- they cost me one car and I won't make that mistake again.

I've read a lot of CR over the years -- and I tend to agree that their tests are often somewhat contrived. In some cases, they are tests based on CR readers, who in turn are using what CR recommends -- sort of circular. I've found that ESPECIALLY true with vehicles.

Worth a read, but I trust real people in real world situations -- and for me, the "would you run this tire again?" question makes more of a difference than any other.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.