Gas Tank Capacity - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 Vortec 4.2L I-6 Engine and Drivetrain > OEM Issues

OEM Issues Original Equipment Repairs and/or Problems

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-05-2008, 11:22 PM

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Sandalwood Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Gas Tank Capacity

Have an 03 Trailblazer and was wondering how many gallons does my gas tank hold and also is there a low fuel indicator and if there is, how many gallons are left when it comes on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2008, 09:01 AM

2008 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Dk Brahma Jewel Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
I think the tank holds 18-20 gal. There is a light on the fuel gauge itself, it'll ding when you get low. As for how many gallons will be left at that point couldn't tell ya Ive never pushed it, would imagine 2-3 gal.
Old 11-06-2008, 12:31 PM

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Emerald Jewel Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
Look in your glove box to see if you have the following RPO code

NNK PART PKG, EXT CAP FUEL TANK 22 GAL (83.3 L)
Old 11-06-2008, 01:22 PM
TrailVoy Guru

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Pewter Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
Since you have an 03---- you have 2 possible tank sizes...
Early models had the 18.7 gallon tank. Somewhere thru the production- they changed to the 22 gallon tank.
I have an 03- and it has the 18.7 gallon tank.
When my low fuel light comes on- and I drive to the gas station-
It will on average take 16.7 gallons to refill.
Meaning that I still have 2 gallons of fuel left in the tank when the light comes on.
Once your light comes on- I recommend you go gas up- and take note of how much it took...
Over several tank fulls- youll be able to approximate how much gas you have left.
Old 11-06-2008, 02:47 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

2002 Olds Bravada
Pewter Metallic 4.2L I6 AWD
I drove about 15-20 (city) miles when my light came on, and i have a 18.7 Gallon tank. The light is suppose to come on when you have 2 gallons of gas or less.
Old 11-06-2008, 07:28 PM

2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Sandstone Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
EXT models also had a larger tank. Mine has the 18.7. I have driven as far as 50 miles with the low fuel light on. Now, I swear this is true, It took 19.3 gallons to fill it up to the neck. Can you say "fumes"? However, I would not recommend that to everyone. I just know my TB.
Troubleshooting rule #1 : Check the simplest and least expensive things FIRST!
Old 11-07-2008, 11:24 AM
TrailVoy Alumni

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Majestic Red Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullethole View Post
EXT models also had a larger tank. Mine has the 18.7. I have driven as far as 50 miles with the low fuel light on. Now, I swear this is true, It took 19.3 gallons to fill it up to the neck. Can you say "fumes"? However, I would not recommend that to everyone. I just know my TB.
The gas station pump might have been metering wrong. Have you ever put that much in the tank again? I have never gotten more than 18.25 to the very top of the neck.
Old 11-07-2008, 11:30 AM

2008 GMC Envoy Denali
Black Granite Metallic 5.3L V8 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyboy43 View Post
Have an 03 Trailblazer and was wondering how many gallons does my gas tank hold and also is there a low fuel indicator and if there is, how many gallons are left when it comes on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbarrios View Post
Since you have an 03---- you have 2 possible tank sizes...
Early models had the 18.7 gallon tank. Somewhere thru the production- they changed to the 22 gallon tank.
I have an 03- and it has the 18.7 gallon tank.
When my low fuel light comes on- and I drive to the gas station-
It will on average take 16.7 gallons to refill.
Meaning that I still have 2 gallons of fuel left in the tank when the light comes on.
Once your light comes on- I recommend you go gas up- and take note of how much it took...
Over several tank fulls- youll be able to approximate how much gas you have left.
It's possible as rbarrios said to have 2 possible sizes....you can either watch the pump and if you get gas when your light is at E and it fills 18-19 or more at E then you obviously have the 22 gallon, if its only takes 15-17 gallons on E then its the 18.7 gallon tank......if you do this method I would watch 3 fill ups to see where it stops at seeing how it was already said that the gas stations pump meters might be alittle off sometimes....

Or you can just take your VIN to a local GM dealership and ask them to run it because your not sure what are the spec's, that will tell you everything, including the tank size
Old 11-07-2008, 01:05 PM

2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Sandstone Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Metering on the pump is OK. The station owner is a friend of mine. It was really JUST EMPTY. It only happened one time.
Troubleshooting rule #1 : Check the simplest and least expensive things FIRST!
Old 12-18-2009, 11:58 AM

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LT EXT
Black 4.2L I6 4X4
I'm curious

Hi, I happen to have a 2003 Trailblazer LT EXT and I just put in 20 gallons and the low light was not on, nor was I but barely under the quater tank mark. Is it possible that I have a 25 gallon tank?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.