rear wiper doesn't work - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 Appearance > Exterior

Exterior Exterior

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-30-2009, 08:01 PM

2003 GMC Envoy SLT
Summit White 4.2L I6 4X4
rear wiper doesn't work

My 2003 Envoy rear wiper does not work. It started to work once in a while, now not at all. I put another used one in it from a junk yard and it still does not wok. Could it be the rear body control module? The washer fluid still works. How can I test the pig tails that lead to the module to see if I'm getting power from the wiper switch. Also from the module to the wiper motor. That way I can try to narrow down the problem to the switch or the module.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2009, 10:00 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

2006 GMC Envoy SLE
Cranberry Red Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
could be the tailgate contol module
Old 01-31-2009, 10:28 AM

2003 GMC Envoy SLT
Summit White 4.2L I6 4X4
That's what I was afraid of. I'll have to try a salvage yard first. Dealer wants $150. But, you think it's more the rear control module than the switch? Thanks for the help Keith
Bryan
Old 01-31-2009, 01:09 PM
No longer with us

2004 GMC Envoy SLT "Roadiemobile"
Extreme Offroad Pewter 4.2L I6 4X4
The wiper could also be dead from flexed wires in the hatch harness.

Check the motor connector. Pin C (orange) should be 12V all the time, not switched with the ignition. Pin A (black) will be ground. Pin E (D-GN) should be at ground when the liftgate module tells the motor to run. The liftgate control module gets its instructions from the Body Control Module over the serial data link. The BCM gets its instructions by an analog signal from the rear wiper control switch pin E (GY). The switch inserts a variable amount of resistance in the circuit from Pin A (WT) which should be at 12V, fed from the BCM.

It's impossible to predict what the failure is without your going in there with a meter and reading some voltages to see where the desired signal goes missing. Do you have a meter and know how to use it?

There are also fuses and a motor circuit breaker in the possible list of things that can cause the problem. What we don't have is a traditional old-fashioned design where the power goes to the switch, and then straight to the motor. Everything seems to communicate via the data bus.
Old 01-31-2009, 05:06 PM

2003 GMC Envoy SLT
Summit White 4.2L I6 4X4
I have a meter from an electrician at work, I've never used it myself. I think I can use it if I know where to set the meter to. I tried to use it on the continuity setting but now I know that was the wrong setting. I will try to go out and use it again on the voltage setting. Do I use it on the AC or DC setting? I also had an electrician test the circuit breaker under the rear seat, it tested fine. Your post was very helpful so far.
Thanks very much
Bryan
Old 01-31-2009, 07:10 PM
No longer with us

Use it on DC Volts. If there is a input wire that's black or labeled GND on the meter, hold it to the vehicle's metal frame or a screwhead fastened to the frame. Scratch through paint if you need to. The RED or IN lead wire is where the signal you're measuring goes. Sorry I was out of the house for a while.
Old 02-01-2009, 05:56 PM

2003 GMC Envoy SLT
Summit White 4.2L I6 4X4
I have nothing out of the pig tail that goes to wiper motor. Now I have three pig tails that mount to the lift gate module. I have one white pig tail and two black pig tails. The white one mounts to the driver side of module, the black one that mounts to the passanger side of the module has one smaller orange wire and one bigger module. The only wire that has any volts out of it is the small orange wire out of the black pig tail on the passanger side, it reads 8 volts.

I don't know where the BCM is located so I could not test it or the wires coming off of the switch. Where are they located?
Old 02-02-2009, 02:08 PM
No longer with us

The BCM is just forward of the fuse panel under the rear seat. It uses a flex connectors and it's not as easy to troubleshoot.

If you have no 12V on the orange wire at the motor, that's the first (and perhaps only) thing to fix. Nothing about the motor can work without 12V. Since it's not switched on or off with the ignition, it should be there all the time. It comes from Circuit breaker 9 in the rear fuse panel. Measure the voltage in the socket after taking the breaker out. One of them will be 12V. Then measure the orange wire again at the motor. If it has no voltage, the breaker is bad or the wire is broken, probably where it flexes near the hatch hinge. Ask your electrician buddy for advice how to check the wire for continuity. If the wire breaks from flexing, the break can be hidden inside the insulation and you can tell by the way it bends differently at the break.
Old 02-02-2009, 04:37 PM

2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Black 4.2L I6 2WD
rear body control module (BCM)

Quote:
My 2003 Envoy rear wiper does not work. It started to work once in a while, now not at all. I put another used one in it from a junk yard and it still does not wok. Could it be the rear body control module? The washer fluid still works. How can I test the pig tails that lead to the module to see if I'm getting power from the wiper switch. Also from the module to the wiper motor. That way I can try to narrow down the problem to the switch or the module.
I have the same problem... Replaced my rear windshield wiper motor yesterday with another one and it still doesn't work... and every once in awhile I will have where the back won't unlock...

When you have the rear completely open do you hear a clicking sound every 2-3 seconds? I traced it back to the BCM... At the dealer they run around $125-150... I just bought a brand new one today off eBay for $50, I hope this will solve the problem. Probably take a week for it to come in...

Will keep you posted...

Here is what the one on my TB looks like... Sorry didn't take a wider shot... i just took the picture for myself for the Part# (apparently GM changed the part#... Mine (2002 TB) is showing P/N#15092007... when searching, it corrected me with the "new" P/N#15135616)

Old one:

New one from eBay:
Old 02-02-2009, 07:54 PM

2003 GMC Envoy SLT
Summit White 4.2L I6 4X4
That is the exact same part no. as the one I have. I replaced it with one from the junk yard and I still have nothing. The wiper fluid would work with the old one but not the new one. Please keep me informed. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.