How to clean your throttle body - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > The 02-09 "How-To" and DIY Section

The 02-09 "How-To" and DIY Section Threads on Do-It-Yourself and How-To goes here.

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-03-2009, 09:33 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

2004 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Silverstone Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
How to clean your throttle body

Hi folks, thought I'd write this up as I just did it and I see a few people asking about it.

I got most of the pictures form a K&N instruction manual cuz thats what I was doing at the time, I point some things out in them and lay out some better instructions though.

What you will need:
-Large and long phillips or flathead screwdriver
-8mm ratchet (battery)
-10mm ratchet (bolts)
-Throttle body cleaner (I use Berrymans B-12 chemtool)

Now to business:

Step 1: Turn ignition off and disconnect battery.

Step 2: Disconnect the feed line from the fuel pressure regulator. This is located on the front corner of the resonator near the battery. Just pull it off.

Step 3: Remove the screws form the airbox. The one in the front corner is kinda tricky but a long screwdriver and a flashlight will make it easy.

Step 4: Remove the airbox by lifting straight up.

Step 5: Disconnect the air injection hose from the bottom of the intake tube. Squeeze the sides of the clasp and pull down.

Step 6: Disconnect the little brown clip attached to the intake air temp sensor harness. Its tricky, just keep tugging at it. Notice how it opens up in a "C" shape.

Note: At this point you can either set the intake tube aside or unplug the temp sensor and remove the tube completely.

Step 7: Remove the two bolts securing the resonator (blue) and loosen the hose clamp on the throttle body (red).

Step 8: Lift out the resonator. NOTE!!! Make sure you disconnect the crankcase vent hose at the same time.

Ooh, color!
Step 9: Unplug the two wire sets from the throttle body.

Step 10: Unbolt the four bolts mounting the throttle body.

Okay, now you have your throttle body freed up. Gently wiggle it out and grab your can of cleaner. Mine wasn't really dirty but did have a good layer of black grap coagulated on the inside. Just remember that it is supposed to be SHINY, so shiny I kept getting lens flare.... Just blast away at the crud and it should basically melt off. If you have to, you can gently move the butterfly valve with your finger, but beware it is sharp. Use the whole can of cleaner if you want, it cost you what 2 bucks? Once it's nice and shiny, go ahead and put it all back together.

Your done!

WARNING: I found out the interesting way that throttle body cleaner is really angry stuff (note the color of my hand above). When I did this, I just figured I'd spray the crap out of it in the parking lot where I was working. One can and one puddle later I had it all done and was working on something else. I went and got some tools out of the back and came around to the front and it felt like I stepped in a pile of crap. Instead, my foot sunk about an INCH into the ASPHALT. The cleaner totally turned the pavement into oatmeal. Word of advice, don't do this in a driveway or kitchen or get it on anything in general. Oh, here's a pic. It also took the tread off my shoes .

Hope you enjoyed it and maybe even found it useful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2009, 09:35 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

2007 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Onyx Black 4.2L I6 4X4
awesome how too thanks
Old 02-03-2009, 09:46 PM

2008 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
silverstone 4.2L I6 2WD
Nice "How to"!
Old 02-03-2009, 11:25 PM
TrailVoy Guru

2010 Nissan Altima 2.5S
Navy Blue Other 2WD
Sweet write-up......
Old 02-04-2009, 12:11 AM

2004 GMC Envoy SLT
Summit White 4.2L I6 2WD
i did this a week or two ago and was curious.... who was the genius who came up with the whole drive by wire idea?? rhetorical... but an answer i would like to know is how is it better than the traditional cable?? anyone know?
Old 02-04-2009, 12:25 AM
No longer with us

2003 GMC Envoy SLT
Magnetic Red Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Nice write up.
Old 02-04-2009, 12:27 AM
TrailVoy Alumni

you mean electric vs cable?

well apparently one day some auto company needed to make a part that would break after warranty that nobody could possibly fix on their own, so they chose to make the throttle electric. the young executive who thought up that idea got rich, retired early, and went to hell.

also, it looks like somebody beat me to this write-up by about 2.5 years in the articles section. I like mine better though because I don't believe everyone knows how to get their intake off.
Old 02-04-2009, 12:29 AM

2004 GMC Envoy SLT
Summit White 4.2L I6 2WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHill View Post
you mean electric vs cable?

well apparently one day some auto company needed to make a part that would break after warranty that nobody could possibly fix on their own, so they chose to make the throttle electric. the young executive who thought up that idea got rich, retired early, and went to hell.

also, it looks like somebody beat me to this write-up by about 2.5 years in the articles section. I like mine better though because I don't believe everyone knows how to get their intake off.

i'm not tryin to sound like a smartass... just clarifying that i've heard it called drive by wire... i didn't make it up haha
Old 02-04-2009, 12:37 AM
TrailVoy Alumni

2005 GMC Envoy SLE XL
Monterey Maroon Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
awsome write up ......
Old 02-04-2009, 12:46 AM
TrailVoy Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy3524 View Post
i'm not tryin to sound like a smartass... just clarifying that i've heard it called drive by wire... i didn't make it up haha
no beat-down intended, ive heard that too
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
how to

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.